1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Eternal Sunshine of the Scourgified Mind by Solstice Muse [T]

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Renzhoulawyers, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Renzhoulawyers

Renzhoulawyers Sent Back to India

Title: Eternal Sunshine of the Scourgified Mind
    Author: Solstice Muse
    Rating: Teen
    Genre: Angst/Drama
    DLP Category: General?
    Pairing: Not Important
    Summary: The trio have defeated Voldemort but paid a devastating price. How can they cope without each other and without any magical memories?
    Link:http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2594688/1/Eternal_Sunshine_of_the_Scourgified_Mind

Something I read when i got bored. If you looking for a memory-less Harry going around rambo, skip this. If you looking for an action fic, skip this. If you can't handle slow stories with a lot of buildup...
    A tentative 4/5.

Not Harry-centric and not an action story. (Split between the three's views, going more towards Ron's PoV in last few chapters)

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

So basically, you're saying that if I'm looking for the general type of fics DLP stands for, I should skip this? Somehow, I doubt you'll convince many to read it with that description ...

I know I'm more than a bit wary to start reading it until I know more about the story -- what I read in the reviews didn't really reassure me at all.

Memory loss, mental institution, depressions, suicide, suicide attempts, Ron (as the main character?) befrieding Draco, Draco redeemed ... so far I think I'll pass indeed, thanks. That reads like a mixture of Emo and Fail, neither of which has a place here, and makes me look rather strangely in your direction for posting it here.

But then, I haven't read the story, so I might be wrong. However, since I'm not going to do so until I know more ... you see the problem?

And the link is wrong, FYI.

3. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well this is an old one... I actually read it when it was first written, two years ago. It's actually fairly well written, but in retrospect it's not really that great a story. There are actually interesting elements discussed in the story, and it's actually not so depressing, really. Still, the story was a bit to Ron-centric for my tastes at times, and the "Dee" character was never interesting to me, as it was completely obvious who it was and where he was going.

I don't recommend it for the library - given today's standards, I'd call it a touch below average at 2.5/5.

-J

4. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I mentioned Solstice Muse in the 'almost recommended' thread, as she is an author with several quite interesting plot ideas.

However, none of her stories is DLP-material. They mostly focus on Ron (have a look at her avatar), Ron/Hermione, Ron/Harry (friendship and more), Ron's childhood, etc. That sometimes suits me, this time it didn't.

I browsed through this story some time ago, but it didn't catch my attention. I can't rate it, but for a reader looking for typical DLP-fics this story isn't worth the time.

5. Renzhoulawyers

Renzhoulawyers Sent Back to India

Like i said, not everyone's cup of tea, but if you give it a try, most people would find it oddly satisfying.

@ Dee - maybe i wasn't paying attention, but i didn't realise until the author revealed it. Hmm...

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, we've effectively got Squib!Harry (not knowing how to do magic is pretty much the same thing as not having magic at all), no action, and not Harry-centric?

Nice.

You know, I think it says something about how the HP fan fiction fandom has twisted my views when I was almost sure that you'd be female after reading the OP...

7. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

Haha, spot on Taure!

8. hchan1

hchan1 Sixth Year

The author's favorite character is Ron. Nothing else really needs to be said after that.

9. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not quite that bad. But close.

10. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

I read this fic a long time ago. I remember it as being okay. However, as I dont remember every little detail about it, I cant necessarily guarantee every inch drilled, imprinted, and then the opposite of obliviated into my brain.

There is the confused trio together and then there are the aspects where they are unsure. The telephone lady thing is also nice. Even today, the thourough mechanics of an amnesia are confusing and will differ from person to person. No one can claim that these things are just not right.

It's not a bad fic-more something for those who like any of them in the muggle-unaware-of-magic thing where people are worried and there are little ironies laced throughout.

Enjoyable. 3.5/5 maybe?

11. fash

fash Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I didn't like it... But since I loath Ron I didn't really give it a chance to begin with.

12. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

I gave this one star, and I actually enjoy reading most of Solstice Muse's fiction. This fic? Not so good.

For one it put me to sleep every time I tried to read it. For another, this has got to be one of her weakest works! Why not recommend something she did that was actually good? Well..in my opinion any way? (I'm well aware my tastes or lack thereof are quite well known these days, given how much non-DLP worthy stuff I've recommended lately..)

Examples of her better work include:

Timeless -- a bit of a tearjerker that seems to be a bit like The Time Travelor's Wife in plot but goes its own way...

Words Fail Me -- A buddy fic with a Mute!Ron and Agnst!Harry..has some good moments and features some groaners as well. Still much better than the OP's reccomendation though..

Within These Walls - This is the fic that started me reading her stuff in the first place. Reccomended and already in the Library! Hit the older thread to see the summary and decide if it's worth reading to you.

Of course, if you do read any of these, be forewarned Solstice Muse is a rabid Ron fanboy and will be heavily focused in on him at all times... Also she seems to be a bit of a Emo\WAFF queen, so keep that in mind as well.

So, going back to my original question, why the hell would you propose one of her weakest fics for the library?

--bornagainpenguin

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  13. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Seventh Year

This fic is full of:

[​IMG]