1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Extremely AU stories with reimagined magical society/magical system?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Gorillanator, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Gorillanator

Gorillanator Squib

I'm looking for extremely AU stories that involve a complete reimagining of the magical society and/or the magical system. Especially cool if they involve a dictatorship/hegemony, and we're introduced to the society through Harry's eyes.

Some examples of types of fics I'm looking for are:
    Prince of the Dark Kingdom - Mizuni-sama
    Harry Potter and the Lord of Magic I - Taure
    The Skitterleap - Enembee
    Harry Potter and the Greater Good - Blank 402

If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

2. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
  3. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

4. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

Pers, I had no idea you were a fan of Alexandra Quick! I don't think that really applies here, though, since it's an American magical world and most ff readers seem to disdain any sort of America-based fanfiction. Also, there's no mention beyond a general historical allusion at one point of the goings-on in Britain.

EDIT: Also, Inverarity actively tries to mirror the JKR magical world as much as possible.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  5. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

You'd be surprised, Sov. Inverarity is a regular poster here and her series is pretty popular on DLP but it doesn't get much recognition in other places because it's about the Harry Potter world not the characters.

Well, I might get a lot of hate for this but A Second Chance At Life and it's complete sequel, Changes in a Time of War (the third sequel, A Magical World is at 25k) is the epitome of "extremely AU" and the new magic system/school/society/species/everything is original and imaginative on a large scale.

The quality isn't very good for the first few chapters but it gets better fast and while it may seem a bit cliche remember that this fic was actually one of those fics that starts the cliches, like S'Tarkan started the time travelling craze.

It is also one of the most polarising fanfictions on the internet. In terms of pure debate sparking potential it's level with LessWrong's creation.

It's nice and long and while the last book of the trilogy hasn't been updated since '09 whats there is definitely worth reading. Plus, the author hasn't completely left the fanfiction world or died or something as she has added a fic that was published April this year to her favourites list, so it's entirely possible she'll update. After all, if Realizations could be updated after 4 years of inactivity this theoretically could too.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  6. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Slight thread derail...

He/she is one of the most talented writers in the fandom and the Alexandra Quick series is one of the most ambitious and well executed fanfiction stories ever done. It's debatable whether it's even fanfiction, which might account for its hit-or-miss reception here (some love the story and characters; others hate it). Orson Scott Card stole the ansible from Le Guin in Ender's Game; Heinlein borrowed the Lensmen from Doc Smith in Number of the Beast. Inverarity's appropriating a few spells and events in Harry Potter canon, yet extending the world to make a distinct, stand-alone (yet not conflicting) tale, makes me wonder if it might not be publishable in its own right.

There's a short list of writers in the fandom who have genuine pro writing chops (I'm maybe semi-pro on a good day); Inverarity is one of them.

7. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

In order to continue the discussion at this point I should probably contribute to the original discussion.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4930996/1/VINCET

I'm a fan, and I only wish that the author would update the sequel at some point, but since General is still being updated I'm optimistic at least.

Also, Sac, Inverarity is a guy. He's about a week or two away from finishing the first draft of the next book, too.

Yeah, I'm afraid that I don't care for the Second Chance at Life series. Mostly, though, that's because the author made no real attempt to have the main character actually be Harry Potter. She renamed him, gave him a new personality, and practically completely abandoned his old life. There's also no real reason why he knows anything about the rest of the 'real' magical world. I dunnu, I read it for as long as I could stand it, but I feel like the author wanted to write an original story and would have done far better to make it completely independent of the HP world, since that's pretty much what she did anyway.

8. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

^ That is exactly what I am talking about. Some people don't mind that it's almost not HPFF (like me) and some people hate that. As I said before polarising.

Of course it's not amazing, I never said that, but that doesn't mean its not worth reading.

9. Gorillanator

Gorillanator Squib

Thanks everyone (especially Perspicacity)! There are a couple in there that I haven't read, and some (like Wit of the Raven) that I haven't read in years.