1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Family Values by Ishtar - K

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by arkeus, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

The forum is green? I thought it was gray-white text on dark gray background. Then again, I'm red-green colorblind, so it could just be me.

2. Bratling

Bratling Professor

This is actually my favorite crossover with Harry Potter. The cross is seamless, and I look forward to seeing where she takes this. 5/5.

3. Muttering Condolences

Muttering Condolences Card Captored and buttsecksed

[​IMG]

From the looks of her, it's probably from the ugly tree to the all you can eat buffet.

4. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Chicklepea,

You have some good things to say, but your writing format is annoying. Looking at the html code for this page tells me what the colours are.

The text is a very pale green. It can be described in several ways. Please use whichever colour code MS Word supports.

In hexadecimal RGB: BAD6C2
    In decimal RGB: Red:186 Green:214 Blue:194
    In % CMYK: Cyan:11% Magenta:0% Yellow:8% Key:16% (Not a true match, the RGBs are an exact match)

I think the font is 10pt Verdana. If that isn't it, then try 12pt.

I'd rather put up with well meaning, though unintentional, misspelling than the garish monstrosity above. Slight exaggeration.

But only slight.

Yak.

[EDIT]
    WTF!?

I tried this copy/paste caper in Go Advanced --> Preview Post. I can't do it. It doesn't matter what I write in Open Office Writer. I'm writing in bright red with multiple fonts and sizes. Hell, I've even got Wing Dings cranking.

I'm gonna copy paste the whole multi-font, multi-coloured mess directly into this post using the Quick Reply box and see what happens.

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

How does it look?

[EDIT] Fucking normal, that's how it looks.

It doesn't matter how I write 'the quick brown fox', internet magics turns it into the forums default font and colour every time.

What voodoo trickery are you getting up to when you copy/paste pink, over-sized text into the dialogue box? There's bound to be a very simple change to your copy/paste routine that will automatically and effortlessly sanitise your posts.

Is this some queer Word/Internet Explorer interaction?

Yak.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  5. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

What are you going by? The New Yorker cartoon from the 30s, the TV series, or the Movies?

Because if you go by the TV series (the B&W series from the 1960s) the characters seem pretty well represented.

As someone on wiki put it (far better than I could have)

A satirical inversion of the ideal American nuclear family, the Addamses are an eccentric, wealthy family
    who delight in everything grotesque and macabre and are unaware that people find them bizarre or frightening.

and

Also, in several of the TV episodes, the family is unfailingly friendly and hospitable to their visitors, in some cases willing to donate large sums of money to various causes, even though the visitors are often horrified at the Addams' lifestyle.

Which prompted me to buy the DVD set of the addams family series at Fry's and see if it was accurate. And yeah, that's a pretty accurate description.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  6. Muttering Condolences

This theme is even carried into the 'New Addams Family' remake, where guests all but scream and shout about how fucked up the family is (and some do), only to be treated with respect and kindness by the family, despite their odd values.

As for Ishtar turning them into wealthy do-gooders, that's canon as well. According to the Guinness Book of World Records 2008, Gomez Addams is the 5th richest fictional character with an 8.2 billion dollar fortune, (beaten only by Lex Luthor, Monty Burns, Jeff Tracy, and Richie Rich) and has donated money to numerous causes like Wednesday and Pugsley's schools, as well as donated antiques and oddities to auction houses where the proceeds are directed to good causes.

Likewise, given that Gomez Addams has crocodile and buzzard farms, as well as uranium mines, his investing in an insanely profitable venture like the Alley Trust is not that far-fetched. He was raised to be a business man, and a business man he shall be.

7. Chicklepea

Chicklepea Third Year

Yak,

I didn't understand the first half of your post. I'm pretty computer illiterate. I don't even know what a html code is. It doesn't matter anyway because I've been just using the reply box for quite sometime and torturing people with bad spelling instead.

When I wrote the post in Microsoft Word and copy and pasted it into the Quick Reply box it came up black, meaning you couldn't read it. I did not try and post it like that. I tried to find the right colour, but the text colour changing box at the top did not have the correct colour. I tried several. So I got moody and used pink. Of course, like I said, all of this is now insignificant seenas I've decided to just use the reply box.

Thankyou for your help though, I do appreciate it.

8. Bratling

Bratling Professor

Now IMHO, that's uncalled for. And here I thought this was for discussing the story instead of the author's appearance... If you don't like it, that's fine; YMMV. But she's done a very good job of staying within both canons and blending them together. Can the juvenile fat jokes, please, and return to the subject at hand.

9. Muttering Condolences

It's a joke, get over it. Unless you're a fatty, then GTFO.

10. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

Absolutely correct. In fact when Gomez started off with trying to give Dumbledore money... specifically here
    ... it felt like it was lifted straight from the original TV series... especially the "you drive a hard bargain, sir!" comment.

Gomez lives in his own reality and through his insane generosity somehow always manages to turn a profit no matter how odd his actions may seem on the surface. Which is precisely why I felt it worked that he was able to so deftly out maneuver Dumbledore and Lucius Malfoy in the story. Gomez's actions only seem absurd... until he reveals some way to capitalize on the situation that just seemed to escape everyone else.

The two things I like about the story is that Pugsley is not being cast as Wednesday's witless follower, and that Gomez and Morticia are being given good roles in the story.
    Honestly, I'm a little underwhelmed by Harry in the story... mostly because he's not really shown anything that really defines him other than family loyalty. I'd hope for a little more from him than just that.

11. Augurey

Augurey Backtraced

He's eleven.

12. Muttering Condolences

Your point being? You're telling me that at 11 you didn't have a hobby that you liked? A hero to emulate? Harry was raised by a family of macabre loving, explosive brewing, medieval torture tools using, poisonous plant and dangerous animal playing with whack jobs, and has no real eccentricity to show for it. If he was Uncle Fester!Harry, Gomez!Harry, hell even Lurch!Harry, it would make it more interesting.

13. yak

I hadn't realised this. I knew there was something terribly lacking in the story. I'd enjoyed it at first, but lately its been pretty 'meh'.

The problem is Harry. All the bizarre wonderfulness of the Addams' and all Harry seems to get out of it is money, a bride, a mature personality, and a few other odd perks. He gets nothing quintessentially Addams' out of the experience at all. He almost reads like a bland Marty Stu character... which puts his character at odds with the rest of the story.

I suppose I also dislike Remus' character in this. His role in the story seems too contrived. I'm worried that Wednesday's role might diminish to 'token future wife' and Pugsley to 'token faithful sidekick'. It's just a feeling I get.

Yeah, Harry is only eleven. Eleven year old boys are weird and pretty out-there. They do that by themselves, even without the influence of the Addams family. Harry, in contrast seems pretty reserved. I'd like to see him emulating his heroes and other Addam's family members, perhaps with continuously disastrous or disappointing results until he finally hits on some creepy Addams-ish quality that works for him. Perhaps spluttering on a cigar, manfully struggling to suck down another toke and setting his fake waxed moustache on fire. Or trying out some epic body hair growth potion only to keep on tripping over it or running into walls because he can't see past his fringe. Or silently following a stoic Lurch around all day, attempting to mimic his gait and speech...

Eleven year olds do and say all kinds of bizarre things to try to fit in socially.

Thanks for pointing that non-Addams Harry out,

Yak.

14. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Updated, now with Emo!harry, Still more dumble bashing, and a few small chuckles. Not worth the wait but the price, how can you beat free.
    Now Yak has a great point. This story has to move into Adamsfamily!Harry
    Land soon. Can Harry toss a knife, It might be a nice way to clip the wings of the flying keys, Does he know the secret troll handshake? What is his Patronus?
    Tune in sometime within the next year and we MAY find out.
    Or Not?

15. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Interesting read. Definitely a crossover I've never come across before, which makes it even better. 3.5/5. It would be a 4, but I'm still trying to brain-scrub from where they were showing pics of her and Kinsfire.

16. Hira.Humbert

Hira.Humbert First Year

You know this is the only crossover I've ever managed to read, but I didn't really enjoy this last chapter as much as the others, I'm still glad she/he updated. 4/5 from me.

17. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

I feel this story is going into an anti-DLP territory at the moment, but I'm enjoying the ride quite a lot anyway.

Gomez's way of dealing with depression made up for Emo!Harry in my mind, which is definitely not an easy feat.

Still a 5/5 from me.

18. yak

This fic is still going downhill. All of the Addamses suddenly decide to uproot and move in to Hogwarts. WTF?

They're starting all kinds of legal challenges and international politicking. A potentially quirky and fun fic at the beginning, it just hasn't been able to sustain itself. It's become bogged down in Harry's first year at Hogwarts with the Addams Family members mindlessly orbiting around him.

It started well, but the last few chapters have been uninspired. It gets a 2/5 from me.

19. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Probably because, while it wasn't precisely a filler chapter, it had the feel of 'connecting' chapter. It seemed like one of those deals where the author knows she has a bunch of not real exciting/boring stuff to get out of the way in order to get to the good stuff and it ends up taking a whole chapter.

If not, then- Oops. There wasn't much to get excited about in this chapter, though people who are familiar with Ishtar's update schedule are probably just happy she's still writing this at all.

Here's hoping it picks back up. I'd like to see more interaction between Harry and the Addams children, particularly Wednesday, his creepy, kooky, and altogether ooky betrothed.

Yeah, shit, thank goodness for that. There are at least two stories of hers I was reading that haven't updated since Coca Cola had real cocaine in it and shoe stores had X-ray machines for looking at your feet (possibly a hyperbole ;)).

20. Theophany

Theophany First Year

This story, as I pointed out chapters earlier, has gone from, "oh hey honey, I finished a chapter, take a look at it," to, "honey, want to help me write this chapter?"

Seriously, Ishtar needs to lay off the Kinsfire emo-bullshit.

Though at least Harry wasn't thinking that he was a bastard of a human being and not worth anyone's love and then suddenly doing a 180 and being cheerful and loudly declaring to the world that he loves his harem.

I can't imagine anyone raised by Gomez or Morticia Addams to ever have many emotional problems, and here we come to the main point:

She threw Harry Potter into an Addams Family story that happens to take place at Hogwarts, she didn't build an Addams!Harry that was still recognizable as Harry Potter with behavior modifications.