1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Sequel (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter North, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    When I read the books, my impression was that Albus and Gellert were just incredibly close friends.

They understood each other in a way that other people couldn't. Both highly intelligent and with prodigal magical skill. Add in personality quirks and the world can feel very lonely.

Not saying it's impossible they were gay. Rather that some friendships can be very, very strong without being sexual and it didn't even occur to me that they could've been in a relationship, or that one of them had romantic feelings towards the other.

Then again, I only heard about Rowling saying they were gay some time last year, and whatever the case is, I'm not very invested in this although I can see why that would appeal to some.

And for the record, heels are awesome.

Red
  2. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    Rowling said it's one-sided, so there's that...

3. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Digging deeper this is the only quote on the matter I could find. JK does have a thing about villans not being able to 'love' so it would make sense. However the whole gay-angst doomed incompatible relationship thing is a trope of its own so you'd hope they would evolve it into something with a bit more depth.

Anyway the point is not really how they depict it, one sided, doomed romance, manipulative relationship etc etc. More that they don't sidestep whats become a formative and fundamental aspect of their relationship and at least Dumbledore's character.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  4. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    There's much more to Dumbledore than his sexual orientation, though... I never saw Dumbledore being homosexual as any significantly more of a big deal than Pottermore's revelation that McGonagall was heterosexual.

5. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

The video that Scott linked, while having an annoying manner of speaking, made a really interesting point about this and why it matters that I'd never realised.

Heteropeople don't deal with the closet. If someone's straight, it's not something that's hidden, and when it's revealed it's certainly not a surprise. Minerva's specific romantic history and the tragedy was interesting for her as a character, but ultimately we don't need to see her being straight to assume she's straight.

With queer characters and queer readers, (who in a normal human fashion would like characters they can identify with) where the author says they're gay but the work doesn't show it, the character is essentially being put in the closet. The closet isn't something that exists for straight people so it never really occurred to me. I can totally understand why if you've had to 'come out' as a challenging part of your development never having any of your heroes do the same could be quite distressing.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Was Dumbledore "out", though? From the way Skeeter talks in DH, it sounds like it's a surprising revelation to most people.

7. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

He's out to us as the audience. The idea that they to stuff him back in the closet is the thing that has people annoyed. Particularly as the film revolves for a large part around his one confirmed relationship (whatever that turns out to mean.) It's not an asside to his charecter, it's a formative part of both the plot and his development as a person.

If there were a bunch of queer charecters in HP perhaps the pushback would not be so strong but when there is only a single charecter in the entire series confirmed as gay the idea they might not want to show that has upsetting implications who want a charecter to identify with. Essentially it is suggesting that however far we have come with our acceptance of homosexual relationships, they are still not prepared to expose children to them.

It might all be worry for nothing of course. But there has not been the best track record lately when it comes to actually depicting queer charecters in children's movies.

8. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If we're gonna play this game you're gonna need to throw up your sources.

9. Blorcyn

He wore star patterned robes, and was an intellectual old man in a British boarding school... (you made the joke better, literally on the last page)

Joking aside, I get the sense that for Dumbledore it's probably not quite as simple as 'gay' in Dumbledore's own mind, or at least not for many years. Particularly as we'd have to make a lot of assumptions about wizarding culture and their perceptions of that (Rita Skeeter aside) because it's not necessarily analogous to our own fifties culture.

J.K. said in interview, I believe, [citation needed] that Dumbledore was a lonely man who had no equal in his later years, no confidant, and love for him would likely begin with the mind. Grindlewald is the only person I expect who in his youth excited him intellectually, and really wowed him and helped him to realise he was incredible too, most likely. Someone with whom he could share his insights and deeper ideas and have them understood and deepened in a way he didn't find with his school friends or family. I can't imagine that raw chemistry later, with flamel or other more age-appropriate intelligentsia (not often that word feels appropriate). Dumbledore is really meant to be on a special level, one of very few Renaissance men.

If Dumbledore was never infatuated with anyone else, it might be difficult for him to reconcile.

I find it interesting to imagine what Dumbledore knew about his sexuality, and it's difficult to know without whatever this film chooses to show us.

Ultimately, that's the point. If Dumbledore wasn't out, then it should be shown that he's explicitly in the closet and puzzling it out. Because the audience knows he's gay. If the relationship with Grindlewald was openly romantic in character, than that should be shown as a Dumbledore who knows he is gay. It would be the leaving Dumbledore as implicitly gay or in the closet without showing his view on it that would make it a problem for the audience.

Cus it's not really a problem for the in-universe plot and world either way.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  10. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    If you look above your attempt at shifting the burden of proof over on me there for a moment, I believe you will see that Sorrow saved me the trouble. According to the quote from Rowling, Grindelwald admired Dumbledore as an equal, but he was not romantically interested in Dumbledore.

11. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh look! You made an assertion and gave no source. Don't try to bitch out of it because another user actually went to the trouble.

So now we have a Grindelwald that isn't romantically interested in Dumbledore, but you better believe he was 'taking' what he had to in order to get him onside. :cool:

12. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I rather disagree. I would much rather this movie (or any movie) not be Dumbledore 'puzzling out his sexuality' like this is a stupid 2018 teen flick. How about we focus on the magical war, ideology, and exploring different magical countries and beasts? Do we want this to be the next Star Wars?

Imo, leave that out, let those who know have that as background knowledge, let those who don't (ie: didn't catch the hints in the books and don't follow Rowling's retarded interviews) not be confused or put off by seeming 'asspull' and instead focus on the actual plot and world-building.

This is a stupid issue.

13. Blorcyn

If the reason Dumbledore isn't fighting Grindlewald is because of their history I think we should learn their history in this film. I'm not saying lets have brokewand mountain.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  14. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    IMO, it would be a monumental blunder on the part of the filmmakers to mention the issue of Dumbledore not being able to fight Grindelwald in both trailers so far, but then not to follow through with a satisfying explanation. Whether that is Dumbledore's fear about meeting his former crush/lover/whatever in-between, or whether it is about the Ariana issue, or whether it is some third, as of yet unclear reason.

However, if they go with anything but the first one, we might be in for protests from a certain portion of the fandom and the reactionary pop culture outlets, no matter how much sense it would make for the overall story not to go down that route for now. This is a five-part franchise we are talking about, after all.

Representation is all well and good, but quite frankly, if it resorts to pandering and good storytelling is sacrificed on the altar of pacifying the masses, then I don't want it. Story-wise, it is my belief that Dumbledore would fear exposure too much to tell even Newt, who he has apparently known for decades, about his former association with the enemy, never mind my suspicion that he might be closely watched by the Aurors. And who else would he tell? None of the other heroes have any sort of connection with him that comes even close to what Newt has, and I can't see anyone else who he might be willing to talk to.

In any case, I'm looking forward to the fireworks.

15. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    I did no such thing. I only pointed out that someone posted the quote I'd need to provide as a source prior to the our discussion and the subsequent necessity of me using it as a source. What did you expect me to do, post it again?

Also - you're just trolling me now, right?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  16. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

So we've got a new final trailer, one with a very interesting name drop:

As you can see, the the Maledictus character is in fact playing, as was theorized by more than a few fans, Nagini, Voldemort's final Horcrux. Curious if this kind of confirms we'll see a young Tom Riddle show up, if only to see how he got his hands on her.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  17. Redsayn

Redsayn Slug Club Member

Also, new footage of the Erised scene; looks like the young Grindelwald and Dumbledore from DH are returning to play the same younger versions.

18. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Here's what interests me most, from a worldbuilding perspective:

The movie takes place, what, in the 1930s?

So that seems to put the last mixed Muggle-magical war in the early 1800s, well after the International Statute of Secrecy. So... magical Napoleonic Wars confirmed?

19. Dresden11

Dresden11 Fifth Year

Interesting trailer. I am looking forward to this movie. Probably a Thursday night viewing for me. The only thing that seems a little out of place is the muggle and Newt's friends. Not sure of what role they will play when going after Grindelwald. Also was that confirmation that the snake was Nagini? I don't really see the point since it had no affect upon Voldemort in the actual books at all, so it seems weird to put it in now. Overall, I am really hyped for this movie!

20. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

I still don't get why you would send introverted, socially crippled magical Steve Irwin after the most dangerous dark wizard in the world. I know he's gonna have his brother and his ex with him (and a goddamn muggle too if they find a sparkplug or something) but I still can't put the pieces together.

I know he used a critter to oneshot Grindelwald from behind in the first movie (and it was stupid) and he has to be pretty clever to track and capture all the worlds most terrible animals in his briefcase but surely that can't translate to world's seconds best dark wizard catcher who makes aurors look like 3rd year students and the only choice to end the threat of magical Hitler 1.0.

I would have preferred if the only constants in this series were Dumbledore and Grindelwald and the rest was a rotating cast with some making repeat appearances instead of it being Newt Scamander and how to save the world because everyone else is busy.