1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Comics

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Mechanicalchrist, May 30, 2008.

1. Mechanicalchrist

Mechanicalchrist Groundskeeper

With all the manga and anime discussion we get here, I was kinda wondering how many western comic book readers there are.
    So, what's your favorite comic? Character? And of course, Marvel or DC?

Me, I love the Blue Beetle ongoing. It's fucking fantastic. I'll also read pretty much anything Bat-Family. I mainly read DC books, although Secret Invasion is looking a lot better than Final Crisis and Batman RIP right now.
    Oh, and I'm a card-carrying Cassandra Cain fanboy.

2. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It's been over a year since this last came up. http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?p=137121

I've been hearing about how fantastic Blue Beetle is for years, but I've never read it. Something about the name, perhaps.

One of my old favourites, Y - The Last Man had a craptacular ending, so that's off the list.

I'm reading Buffy Season 8 and enjoying it, but I don't have one favourite comic or character at the moment. Even The Walking Dead has just taken a severe turn into WTF-ville. I'm hoping it's a genius move who's potential will soon be realised, but I'm still WTFing.

I don't bother categorising comics by DC, Marvel, Image, Topshelf, whatever. I've found some surprisingly good stuff right across the spectrum of publishers. The quickest single metric of quality I use is the writer. If I like the writer and the art doesn't annoy me, then it's a good indicator as to whether I'll read it. I don't favour any 'verse or publisher in particular.

Actually, on second thoughts, Spider Jerusalem from Transmetropolitan for favourite character and faourite comic. I fell in love with it right from the first 'Moses coming down from the mountain' moment.

More journalists like Spider FTW. That's my revolutionary comic book fantasy.

3. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Damnit yak, you took mine. Transmetropolitan is fuckwin.

Sandman's good, but there ain't many people that haven't read it by now.

4. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Cyanide and Happiness.

Never got into comic-comics, or manga for that, but web comics are ftw.

5. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Lol @ Cassandra Cain. She does kick ass, doesnt she?

In Marvel, I'm a fan of the current Ultimate universe, and Robin of the DC-verse is pretty awesome. Civil war was legit - I think that story arch alone is solely responsible for Hollywood's eagerness to attempt another Captain America movie.

6. Mechanicalchrist

Civil War had the potential to be something great, but the writers dropped the ball big time, I think. The original plan was to make both sides look about equal in terms of who was right, but apparently that was too tricky, so most of the writers just settled on making Iron Man the villain. Add to that the ridiculous number of tie-ins and the antics of Sally Floyd and, well, ugh.

7. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm a big fan of a lot of Top Cow's stuff Witchblade, Fathom, The Darkness etc. etc. also I'm a pretty big fan of Deadpool cause super cancer is always lulzy

8. Mechanicalchrist

Never could get into Witchblade or The Darkness. The concepts seemed really cool but I just didn't like the way the books turned out.

New Deadpool series in August :D

9. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I know its going to be awesome seeing him and Wolverine beat the shit out of each other forever.

10. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

I'm pretty sure it was September when the new Deadpool ongoing starts.

Also, there is a huge Deadpool torrent on Demonoid.com with all of his series and guest appearances in other titles. I downloaded it a few months ago, its probably still there.

Deadpool is my all-time favorite character. I can't wait until September when he gets thrown right into the middle of the massive Secret Invasion event.

From Comic Book Resources:

The Skrulls have seen some horrific things, from Galactus devouring their home world to years later witnessing the forces of the Annihilation Wave decimate much of the Skrull Empire. But this September, they'll know true horror when they run afoul of an unkillable man who just won't shut up! God help the Marvel Universe, because Deadpool AKA Wade Wilson, the Merc with a Mouth, is back in a new ongoing series and he's going to play a key role "Secret Invasion

11. Mechanicalchrist

To be fair, a "key role in a Marvel crossover event" doesn't really mean much. Remember in Civil War how half the Marvel characters had "key roles" that ended up being ignored by every book but the one they were in?

12. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

True enough, though I'm hoping Secret Invasion is at least equal to Civil War (I actually liked that story arc). The concept seems pretty flimsy to me already, so I'm not really expecting to be blown away.

@Cyclops: Thanks for the head's up, I'll be sure to purchase those Deadpool issues later this week. Though i have to admit, I would've thought your favorite character was...y'know...someone else...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  13. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Joker. Enough said. Greatest comic villain ever.

Deadpool is epic as well. One of the few series I like the Fourth Wall Breaking in.

Ive been reading the new Star Wars Legacy comic as well. Thats pretty good, I suppose. Its not Revan, but interesting.

Though, Im not really much of a fan of comics honestly.

14. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

You would think so. I never really heard of Deadpool until after I created this account. And the X-Men movies left a sour taste is my mouth for Cyclops that is just now beginning to go away, thanks to Ultimate X-Men

15. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Judenhass by Dave Sim is damn fine.

16. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm getting into the Ultimate Universe, but it's slow going so far.

Beyond that, I have the first two volumes of the Teen Titans, Watchmen, The Dark Knight Returns, Kingdom Come, and Star Wars: Dark Times, volume one. And I'm thinking of getting the Dresden Files graphic novels, whenever they come out.

17. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've been trying to get into comics for a while, but it's hard to figure out exactly where to start. There seems to be so many series, universes and like general books out there that even going to the local comic store gives me a head ache. Any advice on where to start? I prefer marvel, Thor was the first comic set I ever read (they belonged to my dad, I also stole his Conan too :p) but I wouldn't be adverse to DC either.

18. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I never really liked super hero comics. Always found the whole concept a bit silly and plots in such settings too juvenile. Sure, you always have good examples like the Dark Knight and such, but once you peel off layers of noir and coolness, you still end up with a grown man dressed in latex and fighting for peace and democracy. No thanks.

When I was a kid, I wasn't exactly a great comics fan, but I did love Bonelli's series, such as Martin Mystery and Dylan Dog. I doubt many people here have ever heard of them, since, to the best of my knowledge, they've never been translated to English (they were originally published in Italy). I'll just say that they were both monthly b&w issues in notebook format, the first one kind of like the X-Files and the second one horror-ish. I especially liked Martin Mystery for its well researched historic topics. They were both much more mature than anything else on the market at the time, making childish superhero comics looking laughable in comparesment.

As for something you might actually read, here are a few favourites.

Star Wars The Old Republic - It's like a whole series of 8 or 9 issues, covering the entire span of the old republic. Absolutely breathtaking stories and concepts, and solid graphics (although nothing special compared to some other Black Horse products). The last issue in the series (Redemption) was the best, actually one of the best comics I've ever read. Note that this series has little to do with the KOTOR video games; it's much better IMO.

Sandman - Not something I'd normally enjoy, but the story is so good in a twisted sort of way that it drew me in. The main character is literally Sandman, the god-of-sorts of sleep. He's been captured for many years by some greedy human. Now he escapes and strives to rebuild his kingdom and reconnect with his family (other gods from some wacky mythology). It's a bit of dullish in the way that the main character can't really be beaten, but side characters are interesting enough to keep the ball rolling.

100 bullets - It starts as a standard gang/crime comic but then adds secret societies and conspiracy theories. The graphics is absolutely stunning, with full colour and lots of gore. Storylines are very good too. Imagine your typical Tarantino story put into 100+ episodes of kick ass comic and you get this.

300 - All Frank Miller works are kick-ass but this one is still my favourite. The movie was simply cool. The comic is equally cool, but also a lot more philosophical and epic. Graphics is sort of weird, but in the end, it somehow fits in the whole experience.

Hmm, there were a few others, but I'm too lazy to seek them out ATM.

19. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

Personally not read many comics, apart from the occasional marvel Hulk and Spiderman comic, or Batman.

But I love Spawn, such an awesome character, if a bit lame how he can't be beaten, but when you see that shadowy figure with the ragged cape about to leap down, you know something cool about to happen

20. Blah-the-Sixth

Blah-the-Sixth First Year

I touched on this in my intro, but I guess I'll be more specific now. Favorite comic series is "The Darkness" followed up by "JTHM" and "The Boys". Another good comic I've read would be "Y the Last Man". I never got the chance to read "Spawn" and only managed a little browsing on comics like "100 Bullets" and "30 Days of Night" both were pretty good.