1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

FF.net Independent Publishing Questionaire

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Voice of the Nephilim, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

I received this PM via FF.net this morning:

Did anyone else recieve this message? I'm going to reply, just because I see no harm in answering a few questions.

Are requests like this a common thing? I haven't been writing long enough to really know, as this is the first of these type of things I've ever received.

2. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

It's a Trap!

/Ackbar

I wonder how many people are going to answer "yes" to the whole "selling fanfic" thing. Gah... I also wonder which publishing company is fishing for money.

3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've had similar messages before, but they weren't as professional - i.e., typical ff.net grammar/spelling, although in fairness they were (allegedly) from students writing papers etc; they read more like spambots. I'd be dubious about replying to it, but *shrug*

4. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Yes, I received this, as well, Voice.

While not common, it is the fourth such message I've received over the last six years or so. People study fanfiction.

I'm in two dissertations about it, would you believe. A post-grad student from Scotland interviewed my good self, RossWrock, Barb, AspenintheSunlight... a few others back in the day.

I've still got a copy she sent me if anyone wants a look. Not exciting stuff, if I'm honest.

I'd say reply, Voice - I'm going to. It's no harm, really, and it may help someone out. As a post-grad student myself these days, I know how godless and unholy it can be trying to get respondents to answer surveys.

5. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

I'd like to see it.

@OP: Answer it if you want to. I can't see how this will hurt you, or fanfiction, in any way.

6. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

I'd love to see it as well. I think the outside perspective on fanfiction will be pretty cool, though you do say it sounds rather boring.

7. Abraxas

Abraxas First Year

I actually wouldn't mind buying published fanfiction if they were good.

Other than Harry Potter, all the other series I am interested in are of Japanese origin, and in Japan is really common to sell novel-lenght fanfictions for cheap (basically covering just the cost of publishing). Granted, the quality of sold fanfiction in Japan is generally way better than what you can find on FFNET and the like... still, I don't see how selling fanfiction would be any different than selling fanart, which seems to be widely accepted.

8. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

I received one as well, though not as well written as yours. The questions were a bit too personal for me, and so I just ignored it. The person was also asking if I had any plans for new stories and was asking to send him or her my rough drafts and outlines of future chapters for some of the stories I've written.

I wouldn't mind buying the published works as well, of they're as good as shezza's or nuhuh's stories.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  9. Portus

Portus Heir

So you forward your new stuff, they post it on FFn before you do, and then they report you to FFn for plagiarism when you do post it.

Sounds legit - go for it.

10. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I got the VoN questionnaire a while ago.

Joe, did you ever read the final draft of the dissertations?