1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Flying Squad Universe by Horst Pollman - PG13/R - HP/CC

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by radioactive, Feb 3, 2006.

1. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

They added a #### load of javascript to the site these days. I started experimenting with adblock pro in Firefox while saving as a single file webpage and the differences are illuminating!

By blocking:

fictionalley.org/shared/js/*

I take out three seperate scripts that for some reason need to load with each page. I also get a file that is only 26.3 KB. Its still bigger but nowhere near as big as before I blocked all scripts. As a side note, I should add that by blocking scripts from the site I manage to really speed up the site!

I repeat what I said before... something ain't right!

--bornagainpenguin (who hopes someone who knows what they're talking about could investigate the javascripts running over on fictionalley!)

2. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

So like...is there going to be any discussion about the actual STORIES at some point? :p

3. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

I dunno...I'd have to read it first! :p

[adds the fic to his cue for reading on his Zire 72]

--bornagainpenguin

PS: Sorry about this... could you split this discussion to a new thread in general discussion? I will comment on it, just need to get around to it with the other thirty or so fics I have ahead of it...

4. Blackstar

Blackstar Second Year

Wow.. this is a really old one. i had this on my old computer i loved it when i first read it years ago, but now it irks me because harry slept with almost every female character introduced into the story, but yea i loved it. it had everything, wandless magic, martial arts, super harry,3somes,dementor killing patronuses and this fic is about 3-4yrs old.

And yes harry is superstrong and very talented but its explained away as gifts inherited from voldemort, but his kids are even stronger then he is, god i loved this fic!

5. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

The Flying Squad Universe stories are to my knowledge the best Harry/Cho fanfiction.

"Flying Squad" is definitely library worthy, as is I believe its immediate sequel. The story line does lose a bit of its luster later on.

I'm rating it 4 stars just for "Flying Squad" because the first story's quality.

6. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Doesn't seem to have aged all that well.

Odd stuff aside, the writing seems a bit rough, and the characterisation isn't all that good.

I'm mostly reading on for the WTF factor, and am not expecting having to change my initial rating.

ETA: The story becomes more solid after Hogwarts starts, but the canon continuity errors jar me quite a bit. The plot doesn't seem to have a direction, Voldemort's side in the war seems to have an under-powered influence, and I've just rediscovered why JKR didn't have another Ball after GoF. So the story seems a better time-waster than I suspected, but I still haven't seen enough improvement to change the rating.
    2/5

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  7. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Eh, I read them all, once upon a time. Even then, the Muggle plot of the third(?) was totally out there, and I didn't like it at all (I generally dislike anything to do with Muggles, but this plot was particularly vexing).

OTOH, I liked the characterisation of Cho. It wasn't a flattering one at all, as Cho often comes off as a complete bitch, but that meant in turn that the author had to put in work to make the pairing work; and that I respect. Every idiot and his gran can write a relationship when the characters have no faults and everything is peachy; writing one where people aren't that great a match in the beginning (which is the much more realistic version) and making it work despite that is much harder.

I think that was what I liked best about it; Cho, Harry, and their relationship. Plus there was this hot threesome with the French chick 8D

Don't feel save rating, would be a 4/5 with nostalgic feelings and my selective memory, but I guess 3/5 is more likely.