1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Footage from a new Harry Potter RPG may have been leaked

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Download, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I hear they added a Pokemon reference to the character creation portion. A professor asks if you're a boy or girl.

2. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Has anyone heard from Taure? He might not be doing so hot. :p

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Open world HP has some potential, but...I'm dubious about whether they'll manage to make casting spells anything other than boring or faffy. If you can only smash x to send whatever spell the game decides is appropriate, then its boring. If you have to remember intricate combos or navigate weird combat menus to select your spell then its faffy. Can't think of a middle ground tbh.

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This, but even more fundamentally, I'm not sure if they are going to be able to make the process of learning spells interesting, which from the trailer seems to be a big part of the game. Certainly the attempt to do this on the old Pottermore failed pretty badly.

And yes, Arthellion, I fear there will be a rush of fanfic after this which features whatever mechanic the game uses for magic. No doubt there's some sort of limited mana pool or recharge times or something to that effect. Magical cores here we come.

5. Mordecai

High Score:
    Magical cores have always been here Taure. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll be gentle with you. And just think, after JK confirms that the game is canon you can do a Lords of Magic rewrite that'll really make sense.

6. GravityAP

GravityAP First Year

I'm really curious to see how they pull off combat, I feel like it will either be boring or really fucking hard. I'd love something similar sekiro but you have a bunch different of attacks you can do and there's a ton more stuff you need to be able to counter. I doubt that is realistic though because its going to be a massively mainstream game and I have no idea how they could even map something like that to a controller.

The magic system in harry potter has at least 4 things you'd need to be able to counter as well as use; hexes, curses, charms, and transfiguration. Then not all magic of the same type could be counter the same way either. So I doubt well get something super in depth it will likely just be curses and hexes with a basic parry, block, dodge system while charms and transfiguration being relegated to puzzle solving

7. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think the way to work magic requires a couple things.

1. tie the majority of learning magic to the narrative. If you give it the narrative creativity and weight learning magic deserves, it can gloss over some of the negatives of gameplay (namely the simplisticit gameplay will require”

2. Skyrim on steroids. Skyrim actually has An okay magic system. It’s just dated. Improve the animations and UI and you’re good.

3. Treat magic like other games treat weapons/abilities. I’m thinking things like switching between stunning spell and debilitating spell should be as seemless as Kratos changing weapons or Spider-Man using suit abilities. Apparation should be as seemless as webslinging with things like hold R2 and tilt direction. Etc

8. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't see why we can't have mouse/controller movements tied into casting spells. I mean, I'd buy a product just for this game if it meant I could wave a wand around.

9. RandyRanderson

RandyRanderson Fourth Year

One day, I'd like a full VR game where you wave your wand and actually say incantations to cast spells.

10. SeverusTheKnight

SeverusTheKnight First Year

Egads! More people who consider the books auxilliary!

11. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but the comments on the trailer I watched are all negative towards the game because of Something JKR said or tweeted.

What happened?

12. Mordecai

High Score:
    The concept of having to actually memorise end movements and then perform them using a joystick control its a recipe for frustration, simply because it would inevitably lead to you sitting there for 15 minutes trying to get the end movement exactly right so that the controller actually recognises you're trying to do. And then only ever using 2 or 3 spells in combat that have very simple wand movements which won't be misinterpreted.

Without getting into the politics of it, she's got some quite transphobic views and doesn't hesitate to share them on twitter. She's the current standard bearer of the TERF movement.

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The game developer has been stating that JKR has had no input into the games other than a general endorsement of the studio. No doubt this statement is politically motivated - who knows how much input she has actually had - but it is also a welcome statement. Because it means we can just enjoy the game for what it is, without worrying about how it sits with the rest of canon. Basically the story it tells is the equivalent of a piece of fanfiction.

14. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The people denouncing the game for JKR's views were never gonna consider buying it in the first place.

15. Inkwell

Inkwell Squib

The game looks really cool, I like that it is set in the 1800's so we will get a different view of Hogwarts. Pre-emptively I'm going to say that I won't see the events in the game as canon and just view it as a fun diversion. That is, if it comes to PC.

16. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pretty sure it's confirmed for pretty much everything. Don't know about Switch off the top of my head.

17. Mordecai

High Score:
    I'm not sure I agree with that. I think there's probably a decent number of folk who would have bought it, either because it's a new big game or for lingering fondness for HP but who won't in the current situation. The "scandal" won't collapse their sales but I'd imagine it'll shrink them by a few % points.

18. SeverusTheKnight

SeverusTheKnight First Year

From a youtube comment:

19. Mordecai

High Score:
    So they're planning a run of HP games? And none of them are subject to individual oversight or approval by JK? Interesting...

20. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    AFAIK JK is heavily involved with everything that takes on the HP license. I feel like this is ass covering and political distancing, but probably not true.

I mean, as much as it rankles me personally to say, I don't blame them for distancing themselves. They have a game they want to sell, they can't afford every article written about them up to release to bring up JK at every opportunity (they probably still will keep bringing it up) - and you better believe it's already started, not even ten minutes after the game's fucking reveal.