1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

For Bitter or For Worse - T - By Kerichi

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by White Rabbit, Jan 24, 2009.

1. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

Title: For Bitter or For Worse
    Author: Kerichi
    Genre: Romance/Angst
    DLP Category: Romance
    Pairing: George/Alicia
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3677833/1/For_Bitter_or_for_Worse
    Summary: All is not well. George uses work and Firewhisky to cope with Fred's death until a drink with a friend leads to something that dulls pain better than alcohol. Emotionally torn by grief, he struggles to allow Alicia into his life. And then comes baby . . .

Pros: Writing is fine enough, acceptable characterizations, good length.

Cons: Angst, Non-Harry centric, good not great story, cliches.

All in all it's an alright read. Probably not worthy of the Library, but the Review bin has had jack all lately so I thought some might appreciate something to read.

2. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

I tried reading this a while ago and I just couldn't get into it. The writing is good, and the characterizations are nearly spot on (for some reason, I always found it hard to picture George after DH, but maybe that's becasue I couldn't stand the book in the first place, and Fred's death hit me like a kidney shot), but there wasn't enough 'plot-wise' in my opinion to get really interested.

2.5/5 for being readable with a decent idea (although if we consider DH canon, I always hoped that Fred would come back as a ghost to keep George company), but definitely not more.

3. meatzman2

meatzman2 Backtraced

Yikes I was put off by the non-harry centric nature, clicked on the link, discovered that it was 40 chapters long, which was yet more disconcerting.

After reading the first two chapters I read some of the reviews and I will bring it to everyone's attention that this fic has attracted the attention of the wider HP FF.net fangirl community, which is pretty damning in itself.
    Never one to let others opinions dissuade myself from reading a fic I struggled on with it for a few more chapters but I got to chapter 8 read the first italicized section and stopped there. I won't even sully this forum with what was written there.

First and foremost:

The Angst is strong in this one. (yes that's a capital A)

Beyond that, if you enjoy reading fluff then you might enjoy this somewhat, I found the slow pace, the fairly bland content, the familial nature and the complete lack of action in the seven chapters I read make a fic I really can not enjoy. Considering my stature in DLP (nonexistent) you may not value my opinion that much, but I'll say this from what I have seen, read and heard of DLP thus far this is really not a fic that would go down well here.

Sorry to be crass, but if I wanted to read lovey dovey, emo and absurdly bland fanfiction than I would have stayed at FF.net and I feel that this fic personifies good fanfiction that is actually incredibly bad fanfiction and everything which these forums rail against.

Maybe it's because I'm feeling grouchy but 1/5 and even that feels generous. It's not what I've come to expect of DLP. Yes the writing may be good and the characterizations are solid based off what we had read in canon, but as someone who has yet to read more than 2 chapters of deathly hallows because it just pissed me off that much (I have subsequently listened to the whole thing on CD but not by choice), the canon is not what I want to be following.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  4. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Anyone else have an opinion on this before I put it to the chopping block?

5. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

I'll state my opinion again: see above. Actually, chop it down a bit lower to a 1.5/5 for intolerable angst that seems so blatantly OOC for George, even with Fred's death.