1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete For Love of Magic by Noodlehammer - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Jon, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Nothing inherently wrong with a sociopath. If one were to be reductionist about it, it’s just a lack (or impossibility?) of empathy, narcissism and machiavellianism. That could make for a great story, but there are very few in the fandom, at least as far as I’m aware.

The closest I’ve seen as of late is The Imaginizer’s HP and the Accidental Horcrux. Both Tom and Harry display many of the symptoms, but where Tom gives in to his true nature and is actively manipulative and will do whatever it takes to achieve his own ends, Harry struggled with this and tries to be better in spite of what his gut tells him.

Another one is Control by Anon58, but it hasn’t aged too well (his dreams in Azkaban were terrible, urgh) and can also pass off as being overly edgy.

There’s also the Shinysavage’s Dumbledore and the one in Harry Dursley and the Chronicles of the King.

2. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

I know that, and I know the Accidental Horcrux. The important word was "dull". :D
    I could explain why, but this steaming pile of shit just isn't worth it.

Obi
  3. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If everyone else are dumb, what challenge the protogonist has?
    Look what HP did what he invented, who magical feats he reached, by implying that such young child can revolutionize so many fields of magic, bending time to be his bitch (hyperbolic time chamber)
    imply that all those Wizards and Witches are bunch of morons, with their brain drooling from their nose.

I like to use Mathematical research to explain why it doesn't work.
    In our day and age, there won't be giants like Euler or Gauess.
    The art is so advanced compare to those genius days, that you need to dedicate years slaving through BA to your doctorate and than add become an expert in small section of the Mathematical world, to advance, discover or prove something.

We are no longer in the beginning stage where you can touch so many fields and innovate there.
    Harry is doing that, implying that the magical research/knowledge that didn't suffer the dark ages are bunch of beginners and probably morons.
    Dumbledore, Riddle, Grindelwad are all genius yet Potter eclipse them before he is 20.
    That is example of poor plotting, lack of creativity and general masturbation

4. MrBucket

MrBucket Fifth Year

Is this trolling? You realize some slave owners fucked their slaves, right? Just because Harry fucked a black chick, or listens to her advice, doesn't mean he's suddenly not racist. This is on the same level as "I'm not racist, I have black friends!" It's incredibly stupid. I'm not saying Harry is racist against black people in this fic (he might be, I dunno, I stopped reading this story), but what a terrible excuse.

Obi
  5. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

Anyone who honestly says there's nothing wrong with a sociopath hasn't spent a good deal of time around them. One of my cousins is one, a lower form of mud would be hard to find. A complete lack of impulse control, extreme narcissism and zero empathy do not make for good people.

This story is trash, but racism and sexism aren't what make it so. It's just a shitload of words to describe a big powerful man who fucks women into submission, with borderline no plot, a complete lack of understanding of social graces, for that matter a complete lack of understanding of the human condition.

The potential for a story's main character to walk around ranting over the evils of whoever can certainly be done, villains can be the main character of a compelling story. The problem with this story, if you can call it that, is its main character serves as a blatant reflection of the author, who is a self admitted basement dweller, in other words compelling reasons to read the story are lacking.

It's the lucid dream of an incel who spends far too much time on 4chan, this is masturbation, not a story.

Methos, around about 70 years ago a man by the name of John von Neumann walked on the planet, you should look him up before declaring that absolute geniuses don't exist. There are entire branches of mathematics only starting to flourish right now, particularly those associated with computing, we will see another crop of super geniuses before long. You could even argue that Tao is approaching that level, though I don't believe that.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  6. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

So, I have to say, the Westerosi sequel is pretty entertaining so far. As always, could do without the random sex and edgelord shit, but it's a fun little popcorn fic.

Over/Under on when it jumps its own shark is set at 65,500 words.

7. buzzer

buzzer Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's worth noting that For Love of Magic was entertaining in the first few chapters as well. I've been reading the sequel too and while its been pretty good, I just don't think that there's going to be any reasonable kind of conflict for at least 75% of the story until The Others start to make an appearance.

8. Melkor

Melkor First Year

Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.

Noodlehammer's fics usually starts off...decent-ish if you squint a bit, and somewhat entertaining for something so filled with cliches/fanon.

Not that there's anything wrong with either.

But it's not even a matter of if, but when it jumps the shark, as it were.

And the sequel is no different from all the rest.

9. Demonbuttersage

Demonbuttersage First Year

This has to be the pinnacle of all the cringeworthy overpowered Harry fics written over the past decade. Personally I find the poor to mediocre quality smut to be more offensive than the author shoving his ass backwards politics in at the stories end. Like if you're gonna devote more than half of your story to gratuitous sex scenes, it would help if while writing said sex scenes, you didn't broadcast your status as an adult virgin so obviously.

10. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Yeah, I didn't realise we had a review thread for this.

I started it to read it because someone recommended the sequel for a westeros/HP empire building style thing.

I couldn't progress too far into the first at all. I got to the first threesome where his stamina is monsterous and, simultaneously, his business acumen is spotless and thought 'what the absolute fuck am I doing?' because I'd been slogging on for a good while through its flaws and this was just the straw that broke the centaur's back.

Sex scenes are awful.

Harry's disgust and meta-tongue in cheek references to how canon would have gone is detestable.

His muggle adventures and rune work are throwbacks of the worst kind.

His character voice and interactions are beyond terrible.

Worst fic I've partways read in a long time.

There are fics worse than this sure, most IRC links are to absolute nonsensical attempts at a story. But realistically, those things are not stuff to read or judge sincerely. They're 0s.

Therefore:

1/5

This is terrible.

11. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

What, you didn't like when he made Tonks grow her clit into a small dick so he could suck on it better?

That's top fucking par writing right there.

I always thought it funny how after he became a wizard his muggle family just went away. iirc. I've still not finished this. Its top tier self-punishment that I save only for when I really need something to read.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  12. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

You know, I can pinpoint the spot where I gave up on this fic, and it was before it turned into a bloated mess (and Noodlehammer political mouthpiece).

It was when Harry returned to his muggle family, now sporting a sweet-ass ponytail, and told them off in the most edgelord fashion possible. I guess I made a good choice to drop it there because it seems it just went downhill.

I've gotta be honest, any fic where Harry grows a ponytail has to work really hard to win me over. Ponytail!Harry is almost unforgivable.

13. Microwave

Microwave Professor

Have you been introduced to the blvnk's drawings? I'm sure you'll love manbun Harry, soccer mom Ginny, and Mike Pence Ron.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

Manbun Harry works a bit better for me. But damn that Ron looks like a child molester.

15. zugrian

zugrian Fourth Year

This fic goes all over the place, and I actually found some of his views on sex more offensive than the preaching in the later chapters. Also, I really dislike when people use Tonks' metamorphing abilities as an excuse to throw in Futa sex.

Also, the disgust and contempt towards his own children came off to me as the most edgelordy thing. That could be because I've had some bad real life experiences with children hating wierdoes though.

However, I've got to say that I really like the ASOIAF sequel a lot more. Harry's still a huge douchey psycho, but I like the OCs and there isn't as much preaching.

Also, I feel like ridiculously screwing over the ASOIAF world will be more interesting, in part just because there won't be any muggle/magical world divide, but also because I'm curious to see just how far he pushes his anti-religion views in a world where the gods do have tangible effects on the world.

16. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I've never read this but damn I'm now curious to read the first few chapters (apparently good), skip the middle, and then read the last few chapters (apparently full of over the top racism wank).

I'm not looking forward to it mind you. Just curious to see if it's as much of a train wreck as implied.

17. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

I got bored pretty early and havn't read the full thing. I'm mostly amused that people cared enough to, not only finish the thing even though they obviously despised it, but feel the need to share their outrage after 13 pages of people doing the same thing before them.

I'd say 'enjoy' but somehow I doubt it.

18. GeneralLee01

GeneralLee01 Squib

High Score:
    I know this comment is old, but it rubs me the wrong way. I am actually a sociopath. It does mean a lack of empathy, impulse control, etc, but that does not make me a bad person. Sociopathy is not a choice. It's also a spectrum, meaning that everyone lies somewhere along the scale, some just further than others. Being a sociopath does not automatically determine the actions of someone.

I think I grew tired of it somewhere around the time Tonks grew a massive dick. That was around the time that the author felt the need not just to include his politics, which I don't completely disagree with, but to also preach about them and force them down everybody's throat. It is funny seeing people so outraged when they could just hit the little "x" at the top of their browser though.

19. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, the sociopathy doesn't make you a bad person in and of itself. It's the bragging about it on the internet which does.

20. GeneralLee01

GeneralLee01 Squib

High Score:
    I think it was obvious from the post that I wasn't bragging. It's not something to be proud of.