1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Foxy, Foxy's Challenge #1

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Foxy Foxy, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Foxy Foxy

Foxy Foxy Third Year

I'm not even going to ask.

What, pray-tell, might being poisoned by unicorn blood do?

2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

3. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    You need to improve your cultural literacy, friend. Now go rent Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I'll give you until the count of three. (And three shall be the number thou shalt count...).

You can fill in the rest, but if not, here's the whole quote:

[Edit: Before you ask, the lady I dated in college committed the entire film to memory. I've heard this passage probably fifty times.]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ha, and there was me thinking you were making a reference to Antioch Peverell, creator of the Elder Wand.

Elder Grenade <_<

5. Foxy Foxy

Foxy Foxy Third Year

I'll make sure to do that. Seriously though, what would unicorn blood do?

6. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I believe I provided a link in my earlier post to a post with the idea. The gist is that as an infant, Harry is accidentally injected with Unicorn blood while at St. Mungos for a checkup. Because the Unicorn blood can't give a cursed existence to a pure soul, the curse manifests as a cloud of bad luck to all those around him. Hijinks ensue.

7. Foxy Foxy

Foxy Foxy Third Year

Sounds good, Ill be sure to check it out.

8. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Aren't you English?

9. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

But he's probably a Harry Potter fanboy first and foremost...

And OP, I would think that this story would be better suited for the Plot Bunny Thread, where posters can give up the bunnies they don't want to write themselves (As you admitted in your first post), and someone else can choose to make fun of it or somesuch. Posting it as a challenge seems... off, somehow.

10. Foxy Foxy

Foxy Foxy Third Year

But if I'm posting it as a challenge doesn't that basically say "I'm not going to write this"? If I get an idea and want to write it, I'm going to write it, not post it on a challenge forum thread.

Eh, (shrug) there are so many plot bunnies that there is a 99 percent chance mine would get overlooked, and I don't want that, I made this challenge specifically so somebody would write it.

11. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

And that worked out so well.

EDIT: I stand corrected, as it seems. Two posts down, in fact.

12. Foxy Foxy

Foxy Foxy Third Year

Well, I don't think I'm going to get much better feedback on the plot bunny thread, I'll probably get ragged on even further for posting it in two threads.

13. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, I was going to make an attempt at your challenge, ignoring some of the more stupid rules, but got bored half way through. Here's the result.

A patch of scarlet swam past, and Harry heard a soft clatter of claws beside him.

"Fawkes," said Harry thickly. "You were fantastic, Fawkes…"

He felt the bird lay its beautiful head on the spot where the serpent's fang had pierced him.

He could hear echoing footsteps and then a dark shadow moved in front of him.

"Avada Kedavra!"

The giant, gentle bird burst into a shower of golden plumage and drifted around Harry like a shower of burning snowflakes. Harry's head dropped as though someone had attached stone weights to it.

"I'm going to sit here and watch you die, Harry Potter. Take your time. I'm in no hurry."

Harry's head lolled to the side as the chamber began to spin around him. Tom Riddle continued to talk, but his voice seemed so distant now. Harry fell on to his side and wretched violently, the thinnest dribble of stomach bile and saliva trickled from the side of his mouth.

A devastating pain tore through his stomach and he wretched again but there was little else to come up. What had he even eaten today? What did it matter?

He wretched again and the spattering of blood from his mouth mingled with the blood still gushing from the wound in his arm.

Tom Riddle rolled over with a flick of his foot and Harry knew that Ginny must be finished now, or close to it. The gloating face stared down at him, a savage expression on his face.

"Lord Voldemort got you in the end, as you knew he must."

Harry stared back at him, his eyes glassy and unresponsive. Tom Riddle laughed viciously and turned away.

"Finished so soon Harry?"

But Harry was not finished; something in his brain was whirring around and around. Something Riddle had said.

'She put too much into the diary, into me. Enough to let me leave its pages at last.'

If Ginny had put herself into the diary, into Tom Riddle, then maybe, just maybe.

Harry used the last remnants of his dying strength to pick up a phoenix feather in his bloodied, ruined hand and inch by painstaking inch crawl towards the diary. A thin trail of blood tracked his progress and twice more he vomited en route, but finally he made it there.

Riddle turned back, saw Harry's progress and laughed.

"Go ahead, Potter. Destroy the diary if you still can. I've grown strong enough to survive it."

Harry reached out for the slim black book with trembling fingers. Eventually he grasped it and pulled it toward him, the pages miraculously clean, despite the water, filth and blood that covered the floor.

Harry pulled the diary open and through some hideous twist of fate, its pages fell open to the thirty-first of October. Harry couldn't help but giggle something that brought a torrent of frothy bubbles to his lips.

Then, he wet the end of the feather in the blood gushing from his arm and with the last of his reserves of strengths, wrote upon the page the words that he'd been so careful to avoid since coming to the magical world.

'My name is Harry James Potter.'

Riddle realised what he was doing halfway through his surname and raised his wand with a yelled curse. A hideous flash of mustard yellow light struck Riddle in the chest and sent him flying across the chamber and crashing to the ground.

Harry re-wetted the tip of the feather with his blood and wrote his name again and again. Each time feeling a little thrill of life burst through his body.

Somewhere close, Ginny coughed and moaned piteously. Harry instinctively knew he was killing her and a wave of revulsion rushed over him as he wrote his name again. Riddle had said she was almost dead anyway and besides, Harry wanted to live.

"I will not die," muttered Harry under his breath his strengthened arm wrote his name again. "I will not die."

He heard Riddle rise again and hiss in pain and anger. Harry wrote his name again, the feather scratching against paper now echoing like a propeller around his head. He heard Ginny stop breathing. He wrote his name again. He heard her heart slow. He wrote his name again and as her heart finally beat its last, Harry felt an incredible rush go through him and he yelled his victory to the roof of the chamber.

"NO POTTER!" shrieked Riddle. "Avada Kedavra!"

Harry rose as the jet of green light flew across the chamber. He didn't even move. He knew what would happen, just as it had all those years ago at Godric's Hollow. The green light hit Harry like a thunderbolt, but he didn't even slightly move. It reflected with the sound of whip crack back upon its caster, who could do nothing but stare in horror.

The body of Tom Riddle fell to the ground with a splash.

Harry staggered for a moment as he felt the link between the two die. Then he let his head fall back and a green mist rose from his lips, forming a huge skull in the air, a snake poking from its mouth. Then as the last burst of mist flew from his lips, his head jerked forward again and Harry crashed to his hands and knees.

He was bemused to see a pair of sickly yellow eyes staring back at him from his reflection on the wet floor. Something inside him knew exactly what this meant and a slow hollow laugh escaped his lips. When his lips met again, he felt the presence of elongated teeth in his mouth.

He turned back to the diary, bent down to pick it up and tore it in two with clawed hands. The diary exploded a geyser of blood and ink sprayed across the chamber followed by a flash and an almighty explosion. Harry stood for a moment, surrounded by blood, water and patches of fire as burning paper fluttered around him.

He heard footsteps behind him and a gasp.

"Oh Ginny!" cried Ron.

"I'm sorry, I was too late," said Harry, without turning. Ron just sobbed into his sister's hair. Harry stared at his reflection in the water for a long time, until Ron's angry voice drew him away from his thoughts.

"You were supposed to save her!" shouted Ron.

"I'm sorry," replied Harry.

"Face me and tell me that!"

"Ron, go find Dumbledore."

"LOOK AT ME!" roared Ron and by the splashes behind him, Harry knew he was approaching.

"Ron, just trust me, go find-"

But Ron had grabbed him by the shoulder and roughly whirled him around. Harry closed his eyes tightly as Ron turned him. He heard Ron gasp.

"What… What's wrong with you?" he asked, sounding half scared.

"Go. Get. Dumbledore." replied Harry, tersely.

Ron made a strangled noise and dashed away, his feet splashing against the stone floor. Harry reluctantly opened his eyes and looked around him.

Surrounding him as the points of some hideous triangle were the corpses of Ginny Weasley, Tom Riddle and the basilisk.

He stumbled over to the youngest Weasley and fell to his knees next to her. He gazed at her for a moment, before letting his fingers gently close her eyelids and then he trailed them across the pale porcelain skin, over the features which had made unfulfilled promises of beauty then finally cupped his hand under her cheek and laid a delicate kiss on her forehead.

"I'm sorry," he said sadly.

Then slowly, starting at her feet, he ate her. His sharp teeth making short work of bone, skin and flesh as he ravenously tore through her, blood spurting from the corners of his mouth with each ferocious bite.

He had just stripped the last of the meat from her ribs, his clawed hands making short work of the ribcage allowing him to feast on the delicious organs below when the sounds of footsteps behind him made him pause.

He heard several gasps of horror and could taste the scents of Mr and Mrs Weasley, Ron, Dumbledore and McGonagall behind him.

"Harry?" came the sound of Dumbledore's voice, slightly shaky as he observed the sight before him.

"So hungry," whispered Harry piteously. "So hungry."

"It's okay Harry, just relax," said Dumbledore as Molly Weasley broke down into loud tears.

A wicked smile spread across Harry's face. He was still ravenous; the flesh of the littlest Weasley had barely been enough to dull his ferocious hunger pains. But Mrs Weasley was nice and plump. There would be plenty of flesh on her enormous bones for him.

And so, a giddy wave of excitement washing over him, Harry rose from the floor of the chamber and met their eyes.

14. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

LOL, nmb. This was just hilarious.

You may think about writing small snippets of this about how Harry ends up eating different people like, Draco, Lucius, Lockhart, Snape, Dobby (He'd probably sacrifice himself to feed Harry), etc.

15. Rym

Rym Auror

Haha, wow. I was absolutely dying when I read this.

He stumbled over to the youngest Weasley and fell to his knees next to her. He gazed at her for a moment, before letting his fingers gently close her eyelids and then he trailed them across the pale porcelain skin, over the features which had made unfulfilled promises of beauty then finally cupped his hand under her cheek and laid a delicate kiss on her forehead.

"I'm sorry," he said sadly.

Then slowly, starting at her feet, he ate her.

16. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Posted a finished version in 'For Review' if anyone is interested.

17. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Have seen a few takes on Harry being a Human/Basilisk hybrid over the last year, enembee's version is the best by far. None of the others managed to hold my attention past the first few chapters.

18. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Lol, enembee. Only you could reverse this pile of fail. XD

19. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You're just an awful person.

20. Foxy Foxy

Foxy Foxy Third Year

Heyyyyy, oz, if somebody can make it okay, than it's not complete fail!

EDIT: Uh... Yeah, I took a look and I've pretty much realized it could only be worked as a oneshot humor or horror... Eh, I'll come up with something better next time.