1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fringe

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Iztiak, Feb 12, 2009.

1. w1lliam

w1lliam Groundskeeper

Can someone explain the fucking bugs in this episodes. What's their use? Cure for avian flue or something else. I would have loved an explanation as to its future use and so on.

Fringe has not put a foot wrong this season, except adding bugs in an episode, the series as a whole started off slow but if they keep knocking episodes like this out hopefully the network will renew for next year at least.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  2. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Yeah, this was interesting, especially since our Walter didn't even have the same incentive to experiment on children. I mean sure, he thought of them as 'warriors' to save the future, but he didn't have the world falling apart around him when he was doing it. Kinda makes you wonder if our Walter really was just kind of a bad dude when he had his whole brain.

Also, about Walternate's 'mistress'--to be fair, we don't actually know that he's still with Peter's mom, do we? They could be separated.

Also, with regards to Fauxlivia's pregnancy, can I just say: FUCK!

Anyways, looking forward to tonight's episode. :D

3. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Good news, everyone! Fringe has been renewed for a full fourth season. Now, then..

[​IMG].

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  4. w1lliam

w1lliam Groundskeeper

Episode was fucking ........ the writers knocked this out of the park!

Best episode yet!

Its fucking great that it been renewed for another season.

5. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Finale was tonight. Holy shit.

'Sup Fringe writers? Oh, you want to do a bleak possible future episode? I'm cool with that. Future Ella's a cutie and Olivia using telekinesis effortlessly was fun, so no loss. Oh, so the First People are actually the future folk travelling back in time to scatter the machine? I can dig it, and I have to wonder if Sam Weiss is going to be/was one of them so he can start the chain of passing on the info on the machine. Oh-ho, so Peter's future consciousness has to go back to 2011, merge both universe's machines together and create a bridge in order to even the load of soft spots and rips in the fabric of space-time or whatever? That's awesome, and getting the Walters and the Olivias in the same room together is always fun. So yeah, go Fringe writers, this is going to lead to interesting new storylines and-

Wait... Peter got erased from existence in the process?

Well, damn.

Thank God it was renewed for a fourth season. This season has been pretty fucking awesome all 'round, so yeah.

6. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

So fuckin pissed. If they
    use this as an excuse to write Josh Jackson off the show, and don't use it as next season's 'mystery' I'm gonna just... I don't know, but I'll be really mad. :mad:

That aside, it was a pretty epic episode. When
    Walternate shot Olivia in the forehead, I was like 'AAAH!', and then when Petah was looking at that picture on their fridge, I freaking cried. Goddammit, Peter better not be gone for good. He's my favorite.

It's gonna be a looong wait for next season. :/

7. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Nah, I don't think we're done with Peter. At all. Of course, if somebody comes out and literally says, "Yeah, Joshua Jackson's gone" well then I might be a bit more pessimistic, but we still have another season to look forward to, and that's the important thing. Some things are still unexplained and no doubt will, and a lot of ground is left to be covered, but Peter's disappearance is just one more thing that we'll just have to wait and see for. I actually think it's a neat move if it's still setting something up next season, because it might actually put a lot about Peter into light, like why the Observers wanted him around so badly, why he was the only one who could activate the machine... My theory is that the Observers created him or something, and the disease that killed the other Peter was part of that.

So yeah. Have faith and stuff. Looooong wait, but still.

EDIT: Also, I think next season we're going to have two storylines again, but with one storyline being in the future that didn't happen, because the characters there still have to go back in time and do the First People thing, and they've set up Ella, the End of Dayers, Moreau... I think there's something there - well, I hope something's there. Should be fun.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  8. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

I've kind of always harbored the opinion that Peter had a lot to do with the Observers too. I've never been able to shake that one episode where Peter was able to use the Observer's gun, even though no one else could. Maybe nothing will ever come of it, but I hope it actually means something.

Anyway, the first thing I thought when this finale was over was: 'if Peter's job is done, and so he never existed, then why have him exist and start all of this in the first place, only to solve the problem and stop existing?!" Aaah, it makes my brain hurt. And if he now never existed, then what reasoning is going on in everyone's mind as to how this all came about? And, if he never existed, then how come all the fallout from him is still around?: soft spots in the other side, Walter having crossed over and caused the weakening, Altlivia's freakin baby? So many questions.

9. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Just as I was thinking that Peter was going to have awsome threesomes with both Olivias, he disappeared :(

Anyway, that doesn't make sense to me. If Peter never existed Walter would never travel to the alternate universe and the problem would be avoided at all.

10. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

There's a few interviews out now with the main producer guys are assuring us that...

Yes, Joshua Jackson is still on contract, where he is will be a driving mystery for season four, there's some true wibbly wobbly timey-wimey going on and "things may've happened differently" in our universe now with the two Walters, and that basically, the entire ending was supposed to incite questions and wtf reactions to hook for season four, as I suspected.

Check 'em out here and here.

11. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

The finale hurt my brain.

12. Lyndon Eye

Lyndon Eye Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Me too! :(

To be honest, this feels a bit like an ending. There's definitely some closure rather than the usual cliff-hanger. Absolutely no clue what direction Season 4 will go though.

13. nath1607

nath1607 Groundskeeper

I just saw the episode and OMG! One of the best, if not the in the entire series. The ending was amazing, and I was confused if Peter wasn't the only consciousness sent back through time. Would add more twists.

14. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

I just heard that Seth Gabel (Lincoln Lee) will be a regular next season! :awesome

15. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

I got sucked back into this show and I don't regret it for a moment. Despite the sometimes wobbly science this show is awesome and for reasons I'll talk about later, it got tolerable.

One of the major complaints of the previous season was Anna Torv, but after she was given something beyond driven stoicism to work with, she became awesome. I think it started the minute we saw the alternate universe, or maybe it was just then I realised it was a concious choice.

Which brings me to the alternate universe, I love that they gave it near-equal screentime it makes the revelation that Peter would have to choose all the better. I like that the characters there matter just as much as the ones on the other end.

John Nobles was awesome as ever, he came out of the gate running and never stopped. Walter is prolly the best part of the show, funny when he needs to be funny, heavy when he needs to be heavy.

Then we come to Joshua Jackson *sigh*. I think I can trace back my initial dislike of this show back to him. For the first season he was basically the lampshade-hanger on all the weird shit happening in the episode, drawing attention to it with a snarky comment. This is not a problem. What was a problem was him being used as a straw man skeptic by the writers.

Peter: How the hell can you interrogate a dead man, it makes no sens-
    Walter: Open your mind dammit! It's totally possible, though I'm not gonna give a near satisfactory explanation, you're just too close-minded to see it!
    Peter: I'll shut up now.

This is how the first season seemed to go for me. Snarky comment by Peter on the weirdness, Walter saying how it's totally possible, Peter backing down. And seeing as Peter stands in for the audience a lot it's insulting the way he gets brushed aside as stupid. Although I am a hypocrite, in an episode with a priest I was hoping Walter would do the same to a stupid priest skeptic (paradox anyone?), and then he decided to show rare maturity. Walter

Then there's his acting. Maybe he just doesn't have an expressive face but once I saw it I couldn't unsee it. He has no facial expression. At the most he'll widen his eyes and create a decent imitation of a man in distress but that's about it. In a cast where everyone is talented he stands the fuck out, which is one of the reasons I didn't want him to get in a relationship with Olivia and I was right, because while Anna Torv was acting her heart out in season 3 Joshua Jackson had the same blank, half-drunk look on his face, it was painful, look at 309. He ruins every heavy scene he's in.

I literally gave a "Fuck Yea!' whoop when he disappeared, before I realised that the writers would never write him out.

/thinly veiled rant against Joshua Jackson.

16. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

So... you're saying that you are relieved Joshua Jackson isn't leaving the show? ;)

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  17. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

I love Lincoln Lee! Whoo!

Oh god, it's not his fault! I swear the writers hate him or something, because you're exactly right: he is a straw man. He's used as a prop and a plot point--people will say "What, the story is all about him!" but it's not. Only as far as the Lord of the Rings is about the freaking Ring.

I mean... did you notice in Season 1 especially, it was even in the way they framed the shots: Peter is there a lot of the time, but he's just kind of in the background, out of focus.

If you watch Josh Jackson in just about anything else, he's the most animated person on the screen. It's really kind of bizarre how bland he is so much of the time. He seems like... depressed, or sick or something, lol.

/thinly veiled declaration of undying love for Joshua Jackson >.>

18. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

So tonight is the premiere of season 4. I hope no one forgot about this show over the summer.

19. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Watched it. Lincoln Lee is a bawse.

20. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

I missed Fringe so much. Great episode all around, and this season's going to be awesome. Lincoln Lee and the Observer, always badass. Anna Torv gets all of my love as usual, and it's amazing how Walter looks the same but feels different through little touches in acting and dialogue between him, Olivia and Astrid. So yeah, great.