1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Grandma-Friendly TV Recs

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Othalan, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

My grandmother and I have been living together since we started self-quarantining, and we're just about out of shows to watch to keep us from going stir-crazy. So I figured I'd ask DLP what they'd recommend for us to watch together.

Bear in mind, my grandmother is very liberal (politically and socially), but she is 82 years old. She has no problem watching stuff with harsh language, not-overly-graphic violence (for example, "The Walking Dead" is too much, but more typical, less gory violence is okay), and drug use.

Strong sexual content can get pretty awkward for obvious reasons, so no softcore recs, please (Game of Thrones is probably the only exception to this rule, but only because we both really like the books). Genre is not important, except that neither of us can stand "reality" tv.

For reference, we currently have Prime Video, Hulu, Disney+, CBS All Access, and some IFC bundle that gives us access to AMC as well.

What we've already watched together (as far as I can remember):
    -Pretty much all the Marvel and Star Wars movies
    -The Mandalorian
    - Avatar: the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra
    -The Orville
    -Star Trek: Lower Decks and Star Trek: Picard
    -Bob's Burgers
    -The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    -Into the Badlands
    -Drunk History
    -The Cosmos
    -Key and Peele
    -What We Do in the Shadows
    -Man in the High Castle
    -Good Omens
    -The Expanse
    -Mystery Science Theater 3000

- There are probably more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Anyway, any help you guys can give me would be highly appreciated. Seriously, recently we've even had to resort to watching 24 hour news networks for entertainment, so we're pretty desperate for something else to pass the time.

2. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I enjoyed Fringe although the later seasons went downhill.

You want some nostalgia, try watching Xena or Hercules again.

3. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

Pushing Daisies
    Firefly
    Gilmore Girls
    Penny Dreadful
    Deadwood (heavy-ish on the language)
    I enjoyed Eureka
    Heard good things about The Good Place
    Friends still rules supreme

4. Othalan

Oh man, how could I forget those two? I grew up watching those with my dad. Well more Hercules than Xena, because my dad is super conservative and Xena was too much feminism for him to deal with. I remember liking it though...

Ah, I forgot we've watched Firefly already, too. Hmm, I've also heard good things about The Good Place, and Deadwood too for that matter. Thanks you guys, I'll check a few of these out.

If anyone else has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear 'em.

5. Dagro

Dagro DA Member

6. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

You’re grandma seems pretty awesome. Mine is 93 and even the slightest hint of foul language or a tit popping out and you gotta have the remote in your hand. It’s very difficult to find things for her to watch because she has so many redlines.

She loves things that are easy to follow like Blue Bloods.

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Angel
    Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    A&E Horatio Hornblower movies (there's 8, the first 4 are the best)
    Sherlock
    Galaxy Quest
    Stranger Things

8. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Santa Clarita Diet. It features zombies so there's some gore, but it's closer to a slice of life drama about a suburban family with the mom suddenly turning into a zombie than a gorefest, so it's relatively silly and surreal even if you occasionally see her biting into a foot or something.

Has some wholesome family drama as they support each other through this time, always a plus for grandma.

9. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Introduce her to anime, you're never too old to become a weeb. 8)

10. Othalan

Lol, I've actually tried in the past, but a lot of the more culturally specific anime tropes just confused her (and me too, if I'm being totally honest). She really enjoyed The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra, but that's about as anime as it gets for her.

Apparently one of the things she enjoyed the most about Firefly (aside from the characters) was how much it reminded her of growing up on her family's ranch, and of watching old westerns back in the day, so I think we'll start watching Deadwood tomorrow.

Some pretty good ideas so far, so please keep the suggestions coming, everyone!

11. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    A few extra recs, although I'm not sure if/where they're available for streaming in the US. I've not watched much of them recently, so maybe double check some of them first:

Brooklyn nine-nine (NYC cops)
    Peaky Blinders (post WW1 Birmingham gang warfare. *Might* be a bit too violent?)
    Dragon Prince (not watched it, but heard good things. Apparently it's the ATLA team?)
    The League (fantasy football - I think it's handegg/gridiron, not actual football. But I follow neither and enjoyed the show)
    Modern Family (decent run, and I don't hate it. Stopped watching a while back)
    Letterkenny (Canadian farmer, lots of clips on youtube. Might be a bit crass, it's been a while).
    Fringe/Eureka were good, although I dropped them both for some reason, and then never bothered picking them back up
    Great British Bake Off (surprisingly good, even as a non-baker)
    Derry Girls (set in Irish Troubles, but almost certainly suitable)

12. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

9-1-1 is a nice show as long as you don't think too hard about why all those accidents, natural disasters and injuries happen in a row.

13. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Farscape might be worth a try, and should be on Amazon. It's about an astronaut catapulted to a different galaxy by a wormhole and the crazy adventures he has thereafter.

14. Othalan

Hah, yeah I watched Farscape growing up. That might be right up our alley too, so thanks for reminding me of it!

Yeah, we both independently watched this while I was locked up.

As weird as it may sound, that one has a pretty serious following among American convicts. A baffling number of them, even hard core prison-gang types, would drop everything and run back to their cells to catch each new episode. I mean, it's a good show and all, but I could never quite figure out what made it so universally appealing to those guys. Especially since most of them usually treated watching food-related shows as a mild form of self-torture, what with how bad prison food was.

15. 13thadaption

13thadaption Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I think I remember an episode of the Serial podcast that mentioned all the TVs in a courthouse playing the Food channel because it was the only thing that didn't cause arguments to break out. The most inoffensive thing on cable TV, apparently.

So, there's this show on Amazon Prime called Worst Cooks in America. I can't stand reality tv either, but this is apparently the exception. Celeb food channel chefs have to teach exceptionally bad amateurs how to cook. It scratches both the schadenfreude itch and the learning things about cooking itch. I can't really defend it as objectively good, but I do find it compulsively watchable.

16. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

The Great British Bake off is hardly a cooking competition, it's an hour of concentrated delight. I think it's beloved because it treats what usually would be presented as an all or nothing competition as second to everyone doing well and making something to be proud of. Not a mindset you get to immerse yourself in much past primary school.

Okay quite a lot of these are going to depend on how you get on with weird British humour.

Life on Mars and sequel Ashes to Ashes (UK version) Cop goes back in time to the 70s/80s, has to work out how (or if they are back) and how to get back while doing some good old fashioned pre-PACE policing.

Black Books - Dylan Moran owns a second hand bookshop. Bill Bailey is his assistant. My favourite show of the early 2000s bar none. First episode is on YouTube.

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace - Horror parody hospital show. Well, super serious unaired 80s horror hospital drama unearthed and presented by its author, producer and lead star, Garth Marenghi. You'll either love it or not understand it in the slightest. First few episodes are on YouTube, might all be on here haven't checked.

Agatha Christie's Marple - tends to be a grandma favourite. Sherlock Holmes if Sherlock Holmes was a little old lady living in a small British village. There are various iterations of it. Pretty sure the Miss Marple books were the template for Murder She Wrote, which is another decently sweet series.

QI - panel show of quite interesting things hosted by Stephen Fry, at least in the early seasons. If you like panel shows of British comedians then there is also 8 out of 10 cats does countdown.

17. Othalan

We do both enjoy British humor, so those might work out pretty well. I remember watching the American knock-off of Life on Mars, and I wasn't too impressed, but I've heard elsewhere that the original was better.

For an update, we were going to start Deadwood today, but I hadn't realized it was on HBO, and we don't have a subscription with them.

So instead, she picked out a show she'd seen advertised on Prime that she thought looked interesting. So we watched the first episode of Carnival Row (neither of us paid enough attention to all the content warnings). After awkwardly sitting through two sex scenes with bare tits and male asses, we managed a laugh and talked about it.

Turns out, she's not actually scandalized at all by nudity or sexuality in entertainment. She just can't get over the awkwardness of watching that kind of thing with her grandson. She actually said "Well it just feels really wrong to enjoy that (*pointing at Orlando Bloom's bare ass on screen*) when you're sitting right there next to me!"

We had a good laugh about it, and decided that if we wanted to watch something like that, we'd have to do it separately, then discuss the episodes later. So yeah, it turns out that my grandma is even cooler than I thought, and we were just too mutually awkward for me to realize it...

18. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

You just need to get desensitised to it. Do deep immersion, watch a Sasha Grey gangbang with her. Then everything else will be ok.