1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Hail Hydra? by ForgiveMeNot - T

Discussion in 'Other Fandoms Review Board' started by Halt, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Title: Hail Hydra?
    Author: ForgiveMeNot
    Rating: T
    Library Category: MISC - Television and movies
    Pairings: OCxOC
    Fandom: Marvel Cinematic Universe
    Summary: An SI with insane gadgeteer abilities tries to avert the Snap and uplift humanity, but winds up joining Hydra along the way.
    Link: Spacebattles

It's perhaps better to read this as a supersmart OC with some future knowledge than a straight up SI. Despite it's summary, the actual "tech uplifting" is rather mild (and easily ignorable for me), more a background thing that any "tech smart" marvel character could probably achieve.

The real draw of the story is an attempt to explore the power politics behind Hydra as the MC is somewhat reluctantly recruited. It also DOES NOT rehash any of the marvel movie or tv plots as far as I can tell, but instead weaves a narrative almost entirely independent while still being recognizable part of the marvel universe.

Technical wise, it could do with using said a bit more (tends to drop it altogether), but that's a minor nitpick as I haven't seen it affect my own enjoyment of the story.

Weakest part is definitely the early chapters, and it gets progressively better (or maintains the same level of quality). Once it starts introducing more cast members for the MC to bounce off of, particularly the main love interest OC, it gets much stronger.

There is an element of wish fulfillment to this, as all SI stories tend towards, but it's not so much that it's hurt my reading of it, and never very in your face. There is also a running thread of the MC "knowing better than the average human" which the narrative supports. YMMV on that.

4/5

2. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

It's enjoyable, but I have few problems with it.

First, having the opening chapter with the MC apparently defeated and explaining things to Captain America was a mistake in my opinion. This kind of setup works for a short adventure where you will discover quite quickly what happened, but for a longer fic it is just annoying. You're waiting for the main character to either fail or to discover what kind of trick the author will use to explain that it totally wasn't what it appeared to be.

Second, while I like the whole Hydra's point of view, I dislike how the main character got involved. For a supposedly very competent person, they got him ridiculously easily and it would be better if it was his plan from the beginning or there should be more steps involved in how they managed to recruit him.

Third, a time travel completely breaks the setting if you're a villain. The explanation of creating new universes works only for someone who has morals and the main characters did a lot to prove that he doesn't.

Even with these, it's one of better SI MCU fics and I especially wait how the politics will be handled in it because it's something I always wanted to write myself.

I would give it 3/5 at the moment.

The paragon timeline with Jane getting Thor powers is fun too.

3. PoshMafia

PoshMafia First Year

This is poor quality fiction. To get the score out of the way it is a 1/5 for me. Total trash.

Hail Hydra had a few aspects I enjoyed as plot devices. However, these few glimmers of hope were buried by the wish-fulfilment power fantasy that surrounded them.

To start with what I enjoyed -
    I appreciate the concept of a person entering a world they are familiar with via media consumption and having life derail them from their ideals as love, relationships, and sheer danger forces you towards what might be considered less than stellar circumstances.

How he met his wife and therefore joined Hydra ie. the misunderstanding, was an enjoyable plot device. As a rule, I love to see arrogant characters, especially Gary Stus such as this one, get slightly fucked over by their own mistakes. Pride before the Fall and all that.

However, that is literally the only thing I enjoyed about this FF.

The characters are bland, our MC is a rich, hyper-intelligent sociopath with no redeeming qualities. There are no true secondary characters to speak of, and if something isn't straight given to the MC you can be damn sure some sort of plot armour will make sure he gets it.

There are no real obstacles the whole thing is a look at how amazing I am until I become all-powerful!

Wait you mean that things might not be going perfectly after all?!?! Time travel it is!!! Vision from the future/alt-timeline. <-I dropped it here for the record, I was no longer able to enjoy the low-quality power trip any longer.

Just total garbage. Don't read it let it sink into the trash bin where it belongs.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  4. PugBread

PugBread First Year

This story just ended, so I thought I'd give it a review. Spoilers below.

This story had its ups and downs for me. On its face, the story is a morality tale about how even people with the best intentions can be corrupted by their desires for power. Mike is a good character. His descent from a man who wants to do the right thing to a man who believes that the right thing is a convenient lie is extraordinarily well done. All the characterizations are excellent in this story, including the OCs who seamlessly blend in with the rest of the characters. I don't normally like SIs, but Mike is extremely well-developed.

I have several issues with this story. The first is that things are too easy for the protagonist. He doesn't really have any setbacks until the end. His opponents are easily beaten, like
    Thanos, who didn't even manage to get a single infinity stone (like really?). I also thought that Nick Fury went out like a chump and people were way too ready to believe Mike's crazy stories.

While I did enjoy Mike's slow descent into villainy, once he reached rock bottom I lost a lot of interest in him as a character. He stagnated once he became
    God-Emperor of Hydra.

The ending felt both rushed and unearned.
    I didn't buy that everything could have come undone for Mike so easily, or that he would have given up so fast. I especially can't see him betraying Hydra like he did. The ending pretty much killed my enjoyment of this story.

Very disappointing story. This could have easily been a 5/5, but I can't overlook its flaws. 3/5