1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Harry gets Motivated by BajaB - K

Discussion in 'Humor' started by Synchro, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I was certain that this fic was on here but I've searched every forum and haven't found it. So I'll go ahead and post it; if it has already been posted here then, then my apologies in advance.

Title: Harry gets motivated
    Author: BajaB
    Rating: K
    Genre: Adventure/Humor
    DLP Category: Humor/Parody (or General)
    Pairing: none
    Words: 10,709
    Published: March 6, 2007

Summary: Harry finds a way to get motivated, really, really motivated. A super!Harry oneshot. Post HBP, AU, No DH.

Link: Harry gets Motivated

An interesting twist on the Super!Harry theme. It has a few technical glitches but I found it very entertaining.

Checked by Minion, February 6, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013
  2. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

BajaB has some really good stories and oneshots. That being said; this isn't one of them. It doesn't shine like some of his others.

Writing is well done, the plot is interesting, but the story is kind of meh to me.

3/5

3. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

...Love it. 5/5. It's one of those oneshots that move on with an idea that you just go and think <i>Why the hell didn't anyone think of this</i> or <i>Why the Heck didn't JK use this in the story</i> or something. Like the expanded idea on, with the way the Goblet of Fire was tricked, why couldn't Harry or others just assign contracts with confusion spells on them to his enemies(?).

...but I think I have seen this here... But then, maybe not. I have read multiple stories from the author and may have just seen it on their author page at ff.net. Still, I think I've seen it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  4. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

Read this a while back and actually thought it was already in the library, but guess not. It was fairly entertaining and had a novel idea, but no much else besides that. The execution was decent and the writing itself was fine. However it just didn't have that extra bit that would make it amazing. Decent enough though. 4/5

5. Vegemeister

Vegemeister Seventh Year

There are some interesting ideas here, such as the Von Neumann imperius curse placed on Malfoy Jr.

4/5

6. ZanyMuggle

ZanyMuggle Third Year

BB has some excellent ideas, and he fleshes them out in a concise, clear manner. His characterization and scene-writing are spot on. And this is one of his earlier works.

4.9 / 5 (cuz no one gets a 5)

If you haven't read everything BB's posted, quit reading this thread and go do it. BajaB@ff.net 'Nuff said.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  7. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's funny because I don't see a 4.9 option for the rating.

8. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

So? There's no 4.5 either. However, saying nothing is quite dumb. 5/5 doesn't mean the fic is perfect.

9. Maro

Maro Third Year

It was pretty good. Could have been written better and fleshed out better I think. 4/5

10. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

About the only thing I liked about this story is the idea that killing Voldemort stopped being the reason to learn more and train. He realized that Voldemort would get in the way of that training, so he killed him anyway, but only because Voldemort got in the way of the training. That was lulz.

Still, it wasn't otherwise all that great, and was too highly unrealistic, even for an imperiused Harry Potter. 3/5

11. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Which is why people shouldn't rate things 4.5 either?

12. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

I spent a day over the holidays discovering most of BajaB's fics, naturally leading me to the conclusion that he's an extremely imaginative author with great writing skills. Still, not every fic in his collection is a gem like Fugitives of Azkaban or Veritas Oracle, and Harry gets Motivated falls into this decidedly average category.

The fic does have a fairly interesting idea at its premise, and I can appreciate that BajaB is parodying the fandom's preconceptions of Super!Harry, but that doesn't stop the predictable plot coming across as just... Fairly bland.

Furthermore, it seems apparent that BajaB has no interest in carrying in this idea, thought that's hardly a point against it. Personally I'm glad when an author doesn't resort to just wanking off his old ideas in a decidedly Nintendo-esqe fashion. Just look at what happened with DobbyElfLord's Altered Destinies.

BajaB's gone on to bigger and better things since Harry gets Motivated, and whilst he's undubitably a great author I can't recommend this fic for the Library. 2/5.

Ah fuck, now I've just realised it'll seem really hypocritical if I beg him to write a sequel to Fugitives of Azkaban. Oh well.

13. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

moderatly humorous. Not 'bust a gut' funny, but definately a cut above the norm. 4ish, lil less probably, but close enough.

14. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Its good. Not the greatest but I think it deserves to be here. 3.5/5-4/5

15. Novera

Novera Seventh Year

There were parts in there that made me laugh, especially the part where he possesed Voldemort.

3/5 for a new face on the old super!Harry.

16. Cathal

Cathal Sir Nils' Right Hand

Didn't like it at all. A couple of original ideas and a decent writing style don't make up for all the technical fuck-ups. While I understand that it was meant to be a parody and all the cliches were there on purpose, it just didn't make me laugh. Not even a chuckle.

2/5

17. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Decent, but not brilliant. I'd give it a 3/5.

18. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Im with Cathal on this one--it wasn't really good enough in execution to earn high marks. The idea of Harry asking to be put under the Imperious is a great twist (think of the more realistic ways that could be used), but I hated all the cliches, whether they were there for humor or not. I'll give it a 3/5

19. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

I think I would have been a lot more pleased with this fic if we had gotten a lot more commentary between the two "observers" or the ending didn't feel so forced.

Still, good for a one-shot. 3.5/5

20. Chaos Demon

Chaos Demon Squib

Somewhere that I hope you aren't. Disposing of the
    It was alright, with an intresting idea. But it just seemed to lack a certain spark that makes the difference between average and spectacular.