1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and Death's Incarnate by Shujin1 - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Shezza, Jul 9, 2008.

1. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I fail to see any originality. Its Denarian seried in Greek mythology instead of chiristian crap. Well, shezza, now it's up to you to make us happy (I mean, give us Harry/Meciel romance at last!)

2. Vorpal

Vorpal Third Year

Ironically, part of the reason I can't muster as much enthusiasm for this story as Shezza is his own story--I keep comparing Thanatos to Meciel, and finding her a bit lacking. Still, Thanatos herself is a fairly intriguing OC, so that's not my main gripe.

This story has certain feeling of disjointedness about it, even though the scenes themselves are, for the most part, well-written. Perhaps the worst part of it is that the characterizations are basically skin-deep. About half of what we know of Thana's character, for example, is simply told to the reader rather than demonstrated through interactions (esp. in the first half). And then, when the plot starts to accelerate by bringing different incarnations up the wazoo, I simply can't bring myself to care because none of them mean anything to me and most of them are gone before we get to know them.

An intuiting idea, a creative mythos, but a rush-job of an execution that ruins it. 3/5.

3. Vtigo

Vtigo Second Year

Yup its 100% for sure a harry/tha, I sent the author a PM thro ff.net asking if it would be a harry/death pairing and he/she? stated it would be. It's a long way off but will happen.

4. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

w00t. Updated again.

5. Vincent V

Vincent V Slug Club Member

Wish I had the patience to write that much in such a short amount of time. :p

Anyone know if this is going to be a series of stories or just a single one?

6. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Er, the chapters are fairly short. It takes me 3 minutes max to read just one, it's not a huge deal that the author updates fast. If the stupid cunt would take his time and put it all into one chapter, it would look much better.

7. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I agree about the short chapters, but that's not a huge deal.

I just read this, and while it's okay and readable, I just couldn't get into it like I have things like Shezza's Denarian masterpieces. I'd recommend it, but not crazy about it.

Certainly something to pass the time, so 4/5 from me.

Kevin

8. Marsupial

Marsupial Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

In general I like it, but, if the update rate drops, I don't know that I'll have the patience for it. Voldemort isn't a threat to Harry whatsoever, and it just feels like there's no real conflict because of that. It's original enough, yes, but that alone isn't going to be enough to keep this going. There may be conflict in the future as there are some indications towards that, but, short of a war with deities - which pretty much dooms us to an even more super!Harry - there really isn't anything capable of threatening him. I'll refrain from rating for a few more chapters, but it's pretty much a 3 for me right now.

Lawlz.

9. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

This story overall is terrible. I mean, I liked the idea of Harry/Fem!Death, and the little blurbs at the top of each chapter talking about The Weave were excellently done, but the story doesn't flow. It started out pretty good, but it's tapered down to a 3/5 at best.

When I read it, everything felt...disconnected. Thanatos wasn't a steady character at all, and half the time I hardly knew what was going on. You know Thanatos "Thana" has a plan for Harry, but it never tells you what so you're left wondering. But then it changes? What was it to begin with? What did Sparta have to do with fuck all? The visualization is terrible.

10. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Wow, this story has got some wildly varying reviews here.

I quite liked this, especially early on. I think Thanos is a good example of an OC without being an overbearing Mary Sue. This is distinctly different from most other fanfiction, though I feel there's some similarity with Charlie-dashdot-Blue's work. I never once compared Thanos and Meciel while I was reading, though in retrospect I can see commonalities.

The only element of this story that I don't like is the recent turn to a romantic relationship between Thanos and HP. If it had evolved more naturally, perhaps in a later story, then I might buy into it. At the moment it's both driving and sinking the story.

Meh, it's not as bad as I'm making it out to be. I definitely want to read more. The story gets a 4 out of 5 from me, though I expect better from the author in future. That 4 is rounded up.

11. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Good writing, good story, great mythology... chapters are a bit short, but I like short as opposed to "I'm tired of scrolling down this page" long.

I like the characters; they're hard to understand, but they're gods, so that's acceptable. Harry is done expertly in my opinion, and I actually liked the whole Hermione-thing.

EDIT: I didn't and don't see the comparison between Mecial and Harry besides the fact that they're female and very powerful. That's like comparing Bush and Hitler. In my opinion.

I haven't quite finished, but for now, at chp. 14:

5/5

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  12. Shade

Shade First Year

2/5
    Started out pretty damn good, but further it gets into it the worse it seems to get imo.

13. DoubleE

DoubleE Third Year

Decent enough. I'm not sure this has the wow factor of the 5/5s, but it's certainly a solid 3.5. Anyways, I've only read the first 15 chapters, but that looks good so far. 4/5 from what I've read thus far.

14. Shujin

Shujin Second Year

Yikes, lots of varying reviews here...but thanks for posting my story Shezza.

To be honest HPaDI started out as simply an idea that wouldn't leave me alone, like it, love it or hate it doesn't really matter to me but I wouldn't mind advice on how to avoid making the second year book shitty.

And yea, Thanatos is inconsistent, she's supposed to be "bi polar" between Death persona and her mortal inclinations. Making it a happy and smooth merging wouldn't make any sense.

And since somehow people see Meciel in Thana, I actually had to go and read Shezza's story to find out what you were talking about. And I'm...not seeing it. Meciel is calm, cool, collected and has no problems showing some form of affection for an asshole *in the nicest possible way* like Denarian!Harry. Thana is impulsive, and rude, like an adult child with way too much power.

Female invisible friend is just about the only similarity, oh, and makes Harry harder to kill.

So far I've got for advice:
    1) Longer chapters but not ungodly long
    2) No more disjointed-ness...thingy

Anything else?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  15. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

The more I read the less I understand... I guess you should stop confusing readers.

16. Shujin

Shujin Second Year

Good, I was going for confusing. It was the original intent of the "disjointed" feel of it but I've made an effort with the latest chapters to cut the vague crap.

17. Burn

Burn Second Year

This story resembles...

The Incarnations of Immortality octology of books written by Piers Anthony in the seventies. I mean, it really resembles that series. I'm not accusing anyone of anything here, but I think that the coincidence is stunning.

The Incarnations of Immortality series details the various incarnations of the immortal aspects of existence: death, time, war, etc. Even Satan is one, being more evil than a Judeo-Christian man in flames.

I think that if anyone likes this story, they should definitely check out the Incarnations of Immortality - those books are mind-blowing. Not as mind-blowing as the Culture books, or the Dresden Files, but easily in the same league.

18. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

3/5 it's confusing but also unique and it's a Harry/femdeath paring which has never been done as far as I know of.

19. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'd be surprised if no one has ever crossed HP with Gaiman's Death at one point or another.

When I heard that this story featured a female Death, my mind turned immediately to Neil Gaiman's character. That's who I'll always envision as the feminine embodiment of Death. Of course her personality is completely different from Shujin's Thanatos.

20. rj_stone2

rj_stone2 Seventh Year

This story has some interesting new characters and mythology, but they mostly seem to exist in order to posture and act badass or give somebody else an opportunity to act badass. All of the action that takes place in the HP-verse is anticlimactic because Harry is basically super!Harry there, and very little action happens in the Incarnate-verse. The other story by the author is the same way. The story he's trying to tell doesn't really fit in with HP, and the time he takes to try to make it fit makes the original story slow and boring.

I agree with the Incarnations similarities, and recommend the books, with the standard Piers Anthony caveat that he usually gets bored with his series after two or three books and starts cranking out moneymaking crap after that.