1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter and the Accidental Horcrux by the Imaginizer - T

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by Peter North, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Which is why I left my rating unchanged. Regardless of how legitimate the complaints, when reading it they clearly didn't stick out enough to bother me at the time. Unfortunately rereads might be less fun now :colbert:

Where's the Taure Recommended category.

2. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Taure

At least that's where I've been looking at fics. Also Taure has his Best HP Fiction

The links are all on his sig.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  3. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

Just a general question: How long do the mods normally wait until they move a story out of the "Almost Recommended" section into the library?

Because this one's been in the 4/5 territory since a week, and it doesn't look like this is going to change soon.

4. 13daystolive

13daystolive Muggle

High Score:
    The Lily thing in the last chapter kind of got me, I don't still fully understand where that came from. I ready this whole story from start to end because I thought it was so interesting. I'm curious to see how the Master soul will develop and if it will get a body at the end of fourth year.

5. PWIZDUO

PWIZDUO Fourth Year

This story really does have a terrible summary. I avoided it for a long time based on my expectations that the summary engendered.

Glad I gave it a try. Much better than expected. Good world building. Good magical theory.

Harry & Voldemort's characters are good. Nott as well.

I had a serious concerns about this turning into super!harry and while those haven't completely gone away, the author seems to be trying to write himself out of that dead end.

Technically good writing save for some minor quibbles (overuse of certain words for example).

All in all I'm quite excited to read the sequel. 4.5/5

6. Dark2leoj

Dark2leoj Squib

High Score:
    I love this fanfiction, the previous two chapters 49-50 have been amazing and contain very intellectual debates on the future progress of wizarding kind and the Chamber of Secrets finale where its Diary Lord Voldemort(Tom Riddle) vs Harry possesed by Lord Voldemort V2.0 is very epic.

Voldemorts Characterization is near perfect.

7. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

8. Ghosthree3

I found the first chapter of the sequel to be quite strong, not much really happened but I was very satisfied by it.

9. Torll

Torll Squib

High Score:
    A very interesting premise indeed. I am a bit confused on one aspect (do forgive me if it's in the story later, I've only just finished reading the first chapter); since Harry sees Tom's memories, it's clear that he's aware of Tom's existence but my question is whether or not Tom is aware of his own existence or Harry is just witnessing Tom's memories and had inherited some of Tom's powers. All-in-all so far, well done.

10. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

So, I'm just getting into this. This little bit of internal monologue is actually pretty perfect and encapsulates TRJ's personality quite well. Enough to get me to keep reading

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

So finally got around to reading this. I've done some decent catching up on fanfiction in this last week, feels good. Mostly. Three whole fics I'd rate (tentatively, barely) at 4/5.

This story makes me uncomfortable.

I can't decide if I like that particular feeling of being uncomfortable or not, but it's a feeling I rarely get this strongly while reading fanfiction. That makes it interesting.

It surfaced a few times early in the story but it really came into play with the last couple of chapters. The author is trying hard to capture some serious nuance.

I'm not conflicted by Voldemort wanting to sculpt the world in a certain fashion that involves minimizing muggles. I'm not surprised that Hermione and Dumbledore would be against that.

But this Harry is a strange mix. He hates the Dursleys, which puts him on Voldemort's side. He's fundamentally a good person, which leans him towards Dumbledore. But Harry is also a young teenager who is determined to trust Tom even when he thinks it might not be the right thing to do.

It's uncomfortable. And it was really uncomfortable seeing his manipulation of Hermione near the end of the first story. He didn't want to lose her friendship, but he's deliberately taking action that will lead to further separation between the muggle and magical worlds. He admitted outright to Theo that if it came to it he'd support taking muggleborn children away from their parents.

Just like in all those bad fanfics where Hermione was kidnapped as a child and her parents obliviated.

And yet he convinces Hermione it's not like that. Deliberately misleads her. Will probably have her later assist him even if she doesn't realize it. And it's something she'd fight tooth and nail because she knows that muggles are decent people for the most part and Harry just had a shit go of it. And she loves her parents and the idea that she might have been taken would... yeah.

And it's uncomfortable as hell to read. I think this is one of the first stories I've devoted this much time too where I can't quite like the main character. He's charismatic and charming and interesting to read, but I'm not really on Harry's side.

I'm not rooting for Harry in much of anything of substance. It's a strange feeling, because at the same time I am.

This Harry... is convinced he's Batman. That he's needed as a vigilante of sorts to force needed changes into being. That the ends justify the means, even if he isn't sure what either the ends or the means will be. And this version of Voldemort is smart enough to have figured out that countries don't change until they want to, so they need to make people want the change.

Harry also sometimes struggles with the question of... is he a good person? And I think the answer is no, not really. But I think the story wants me to think that he is, and it's uncomfortable.

But at heart there's a point I've brought up before in another thread or two - is there a grain of truth that characters can find in some of the propaganda? That even if muggle and wizard lives are of equal worth, isn't one better or more in some quantifiable sense?

Uncomfortable. But still 4/5 because it entertained me, gave me ideas, and made me think once or twice.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  12. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

I'm not that far into this story but I really can't relate to this Harry personae. Uncomfortable is one way to put it. To me he appears to be mentally handicapped.

"My Friend Tom", a story with a similar setup, had a far more believable Harry imho.

13. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

For quite a few chapters Harry is younger than Hogwarts years and the author tries to portray his youth (eight years old?) semi-believably. Not sure if you're confusing 'young child' and 'mentally handicapped' or not, but something to consider.

In any event my statement of "uncomfortable" was not to do with Harry's intelligence in that manner.

14. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

My impression is based on reading till the end of 1st year for now.

15. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12278649/2/Harry-Potter-and-the-Chrysalis

New chapter out just a few minutes ago. The contrast between Severus and Sirius was very well done and I loved the dry humour at places.
    That said, I feel like the summer break should end in chapter 3 or chapter 4, but I'm quite sure it will as the pacing of it has been ok until now - he's had to establish the change of one relationship and the completely new development of another and has done so pretty well within two chapters.

16. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Just read through this today, and really enjoyed it. Most salient points have been touched on already - Harry being a bit of a dick and so on - so there's not much I can add to that.

The snakes in chapter 2 of the sequel actually made me laugh, as it seemed to come completely out of left field.

Story-wise, this does seem to bounce around a bit. There's a few timeskips scattered throughout, with the time-frame put further into the text than I'd like. Not a big issue, but a mild annoyance.

My only new complaint is the Americanisms - sneakers, cookies, first grade, 24 hour 'mini-marts' (mini-marts in general, actually) in suburbia, and not having a school uniform are the only ones that I really remember. I understand that the author is probably American, and therefore uses the words they're familiar with, but for a story set in Britain with British characters it's a bit jarring. Not anything I'd throw a fit over, but it was noticeable. Like Jon, I found the lifted canon passages didn't fit.

The author seems to have a decent plan for the long term too, with the whole bathtub thing that's going on (brought up early in book 1), and a few other things, which does give me hope that this is going to be exceedingly good when it's finished.

4.5/5, rounded down to a 4 for now.

17. syed

syed Supermod

I have an epic idea, Harry uses emotional blackmail to convince albus to teach him soul or dark arts. He both owes him for the dursley, and the fact even though it will be dangerous, he would study it anyway, it is simpler safer with a teacher. Also, albus would be interested in those books hidden in the chamber.

18. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

New Chapter up just now.
    Some lines by Tom are absolutely hilarious and timed beautifully, but I already mentioned the brilliant humour.

Apart from that, it seems we are now going astray from the canon plot line, and I like that very much.

Even though it stretches my suspension of disbelief quite a lot (a bit too much, to be honest) that Harry would find the Tales of Beedle in the Black library, take notice of it, begin to read it AND find the tales of the three brothers. But I think I can tolerate things like that if they happen once.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  19. Ghosthree3

Overall I think I liked the new chapter, but something rubbed me wrong about it which made it feel less good than most chapters so far. It also contained one of my most hated tropes which is a block of song lyrics in the text. Thankfully it was pretty limited.

I'm wondering if there's more to why he picked up that book to be honest Dicra

I have a feeling we have at most one more chapter of summer before we're back on the train which I'm very thankful for, if that's true the pacing has been pretty good.

20. syed

syed Supermod

Ythe hollows being seen earlier, allows greater experimentation and usage of them. The wand can still be kept for last, but I am sure tom and Harry could get up to tons of epic things with only two of the set. Imagine soul magic with a stone that summons shades.