1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Tylendel

Tylendel Seventh Year

And you forget that it’s under some pressure by Calypso that he embraced the Dark Arts and there’s a nuance between studying something and using it. And Harry’s desire to be the best doesn’t necessary imply him learning the Dark Arts, it manifest in is succes in transfiguration and charm. It’s Calypso in his first year and the school position on the subject that pushed him into the subject. What happened from there is the result of social pressure.

As for the usefulness of the Dark Arts, I would appreciate if you can remind me some outside of combat situation.

I don’t see how that counters my point. The second duel was fought because he didn’t use the Dark Arts; it can imply that unless Dark Arts are used, a duel isn’t “valid” or has no point being fought (if I’m not clear, I’m sorry, I have some difficulty putting my thoughts into words).

And I never said that charm and transfiguration aren’t useful, the second duel give the feeling that the Dark Arts are inherently better or thought so. There was no really good reason for it to happen how it did

Really...:facepalm

You completely missed my point: moral implications of going so far.

And it’s not because you can regenerate your entire body from a single cell that someone should put it to a test.

You have been killing mammals since you are five years old.

I (and most people I think) haven’t and I know I would care. Not so much for the rabbit, but for the act of killing itself. I wouldn’t be able to let it slide immediately.

Anyway, that’s something personal reaction that varies from person to person. Still, I found his lack of reaction disappointing.

2. Sirius Issues

Sirius Issues First Year

After the little tidbit about the Protego Maxima at the end my mind has conjured up an image of Harry disappearing for a while then returning just as Voldemort is going to strike down his family/Dumbledore and boom, casting the spell on his own.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I didn't get the impression that the second duel implied that the Dark Arts are superior at all. I mean, the only reason that there was a second duel at all was because Harry had defeated a Dark Arts wielding Calypso with Transfiguration and Charms easily.

4. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Wat. Be happy Harry finally uses Dark Arts. It's what everyone wants to see, so stop your herpaderp.

In that case, you have a problem, because how the fuck is squashing a fly that annoys you not an "act of killing"? It's about the cute, fluffy bunny, and no one would have cared if it was an ugly, grey rat. I hate the puppy-effect :s

In any case, you negated your own post the moment the said it differs for different people. Clearly, Harry is not like you, then. I hear that can happen.

5. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    When he introduced Harry to the Dark Arts, Quirrell referenced a stronger cutting spell that, though classified as dark, had utility as merely a stronger version of the Diffindo cutting charm.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  6. Expelliarmus

Expelliarmus Third Year

It was a completely unexpected and fascinating chapter at a time. I hope Santi surprise us in many more occasions during the remainder of the summer and next fall.

On this episode, it seemed great. The duels were incredible (especially the latter), and after them, I think we will see a much more competitive Calypso with Harry before those duels.

However, we should not neglect the progression of the romantic relationship between Harry and Calypso, and so if Calypso has overcome problems with the online age of Dumbledore, Harry will help her without reservation, although Calypso can protest about it. And forget the fact that it will be the first time they are together without the presence of Romulus since they are together romantically. This could advance the level of their relationship to the rhythm of the relationship of Viktor and Kira.

As for the question on the age line, I was pleasantly surprised by its appearance in this story, because I thought that Santi would reject outright this obstacle. However, I am intrigued enough about Romulus' interest in Dumbledore's age line that was displayed in the Torunament. My suspicions are to he found in the plot to revive Voldemort during/after the Triwizard Tournament (he has been away for the summer; he has shelved his plans for a marriage contract for his daughter, so in case he was captured, this will least impact to his daughter; his pressure on what Karkaroff decides).

Finally, I have liked the appearances of Professor Kosarev, both when he said "Three dragons fly west" as the suggestion it does to Harry about to travel all over the world after finish his instruction at Durmstrang. In my view, it was time to appear him more in the fic, then Harry had already appeared long with Romulus (although this is because he has other factors because he appears much more in the fic) and Rosemberg.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  7. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I think Rosier is clearly biased towards Dark Arts as the only way to fight a duel if you really want to win in a real life, which I suppose is true for the most of wizards. But with wizards like Harry is slowly becoming, this approach is rather limiting when he can do much more damage using Charms and Transfiguration in ways that average dueler can't even image.

In the end, I hope that Harry will not be as much a dark wizard as what work, works wizard.

8. Sirius Issues

Sirius Issues First Year

I just realised what this is about:

I wonder if that is what made Romulus change his opinion of Harry rather than the duel. Being able to penetrate his Occlumency shield, for a lack of a better word, probably takes some doing and to do so would earn some respect.

9. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

I don't think that it clearly shows it at all; it's a debatable point. Rosier likely wanted the second duel to be able to guage Harry's improvement with those types of spells over the summer. If you're inferring that because we are shown him using Dark spells more than tranfig/charms, then that is because he is the Dark Arts professor, so naturally we are shown him in that context, using/teaching those Arts. Also, while dueling is a component of DA, that's not necessarily the focus of the class (battle transfig strategies may be touched on, but it would be Rosemberg who teaches the spells)

Calypso's style does seem to predominately use DA, that is where her strengths lie and she is facing an opponent with superior transfig/charm abilities. However we are shown that she recognizes that those fields are useful in a duel in her first year, when she needed to advance in them in order to continuing winning duels.

Until we are actually shown Rosier in a fight and what his style might be against an equal opponent (not just someone he's trying to intimidate), we won't be able to say for sure either way.

10. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

I actually hope we see Romulus duel at some point, that would be great.

11. Sirius Issues

Sirius Issues First Year

I am more curious about James, Sirius and Lily. They are alive and been using magic for however many more years than cannon with the knowledge that Voldemort might still be out there. I can't imagine them being ones to rest on their laurels.

In OoTP Remus says that in 5th year James and Sirius were some of the best pupils in the school, how much further they have gone is interesting. Hell, they were animagus's before Harry was.

12. Catman

Catman DA Member

They finished becoming animagus in their 5th year, this is the beginning of Harry's 4th, so he has about a year.

13. Torak

Torak Death Eater

Harry went all Dumbledore on that piece of hot pale ass

14. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

No, you misunderstand. The second duel was fought because he didn't use the Dark Arts. In this you are correct, but the only reason it was fought is because his Dark Arts professor was there. It would be like if I were to get in a fight with a guy and use boxing to beat him senseless with my Judo coach watching. He wouldn't exactly be thrilled with my method of fighting.

As for you saying that you never said Charms and Transfiguration aren't useful in a duel....
    How else am I supposed to interpret this?

The rest of your points have pretty much already been covered by other posters.

15. false morality

false morality First Year

Dark Arts

Well i have to say that this was an amazing surprise, and how does this chapter imply Dark Arts are better?

16. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

...What? It... Dosen't... Why should it? Was there some context I completely missed for this, or was it just stupid? I don't... You owe me scotch.

17. syed

syed Supermod

WHo wants to bet RIta Skeeter will mees with both of the Potter Twins? So the truth of his girl friend and his studies will come out. I wonder if the Potters will be introduced to calypso father during the year. Detect the bug via mind magic.

So around 2 months to figure out the impartial judge, and find away to get to it. Will the delegation need to send a list of its members as albus will never willingly let him come. If he figures out it is just a goblet, then all he need to get in, is to place his name.

THe challenge will be the age line. I wonder if it is a ward. It is possible to enchant circles to apparate and disapperate in the school, so instead of changing the age line, enchant it to allow apparation, so he never crosses the line it self. Make another circle hidden in the castle to disapperate.
    He will either need to lie to everyone that sees him or not show himself till after he has added his name. DIsguise himself as nathan.

Harry will need a secluded location for study and practise. I wonder if champions get access to the restricted section. Will albus be impressed by harry's additions to the school. SO this year his projects will be aimed at helping him to win the tasks and keep his brother safe.

If harry studies fire magics after mastering aqua eructo, would he learn everlasting fire, that is supposed to be really impressive.

I cant wait till Harry confronts the fake, defending calypso.

18. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I enjoyed this unexpected chapter, and I wonder how Santi will deal with the age-line. Overall great chapter, and I cant wait for more.

19. elflorddobby

elflorddobby Second Year

haha I was right about why they dueled, haha whoever it was said i wasn't right and that it wouldn't skip the deatheater scene, guess what it DID

20. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

Wait, Harry stuck it up her butt?

Not open for further replies.