1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukaskr

Lukaskr Fourth Year

Interesting scenes you have there, the duel was realistic.

While reading the duel I was wondering how powerful Harry is/will be.
    We already know he is talented, however if he is ever to reach level of Tom Riddle it would make sense for his spells to be unusually strong.

At what point does it manifest itself in your story, is eleven simply too young to develop significant gap in power between him and his peers? How long are you going to wait?

Keep up the good work, I always eagerly await updates to this story, it has a potential to be a must-read on a scale of joe's Wastelands of Time.

2. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Is Calypso using magic of some sort (Legimency, Foresight, Divination, intuition,) to determine where spells are? Otherwise it seemed almost peculiar...

Also, where did SHE learn to duel?

3. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Uh I think you misunderstood me. I meant it's probably going to cause Harry problems later on as they seem to be on the way to getting closer, and if she really is a death eaters daughter as it was implied ... well interesting doesn't even begin to cover that one.

4. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Hmm, it appears that I did. If anything, I was more reminiscing to the times where I wrote OC-centric fics where the OC was a daughter of a certain Death Eater. I just hope the Santi doesn't pull the whole 'love-interest-Mary-Sue' thing, which I'm fairly sure he won't.

5. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

/me cringes

6. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Ahhh, there's nothing sweeter than two teenagers, struggling to overcome the prejudices of their world in order to fully enjoy and explore their love.

Of course, theres always the good old Dagger-Behind-The-Back to make your main character grow down the line.

7. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Calypso Ro- And the last name is supposed to be canon?

That means it's one of these four: Robards, Robins, Rookwood, and Rosier.

Gawain Robards is a high-ranking British Auror, and so if she was his daughter, she would would have gone to Hogwarts...

We don't really know anything about Robins family and so that can be discounted too.

That leaves only Rookwood and Rosier; both are families of Death Eaters, which would explain her duelling ability.

It could be either, but I'm betting on Rosier because "Rosier, according to medieval demonology texts, is the patron devil of seduction. He tempts humans to fall in love and causes them to act foolishly."

8. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Ah I thought that she was Professor Rosemburg's daughter.

Ah well.

And Rowle.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  9. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Robins is from Demelza Robins right? Yeah, probably Rookwood. I don't know if it's canon, but I think Rosier was one of the worst ones, and was therefore caught the first time around.

10. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

I find it hard to believe she is related to a Death Eater. Victor would have told Harry something as important as that.

~Spoiler Alert~

Professor Rosemburg's daughter seems most likely. Since her father charmed a table in the Durmstrang library for her it only makes sense. How many fathers would travel to a school to charm a desk for their daughter in the library? How many would have the influence to even be allowed in Durmstrang to do something like that? He must work their.

~Spoiler Alert Over~

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  11. Kthr

Lucius Malfoy would. Not that hard to imagine some other influential wizard holding power on his side. Besides, they are big on the power play in Durmstrang. And Vicktor did warn him to be careful.

12. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

Be careful is different then saying "Hey you know that dude who attacked your family and tried to murder your brother yea well the daughter of one of his minions totally wants to jump your bone"

Lucius was on the Hogwarts Board. I find it extremely hard to believe Rosier has the money and influence of Lucius but even so Victor would have said something so the point is moot.

13. Kthr

Thats it, you totally got me hooked into Harry/Calypso. :awesome

Live dangerously mate, its safer!

14. Jigokuno

Jigokuno Seventh Year

That sounds like something you tell someone you dislike who is about to go visit a hooker and doesn't have a condom. :eek:

15. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

"Your really stretching this thing with Calypso. Victor could help Harry with Dark Arts better then Calypso probably could. Let's say however that since Victor(who probably would have trained him in Dark Arts already as a thank you for tutoring him) is busy then Harry would have to learn with Calypso. That is still one class for one class. The entire owing a favor for a library book and having to help her pass a entire year of classes is so dumb I am not sure why more people aren't complaining. Oephyx seems to be the only other one who brought up how odd it was Harry would willingly put in many hours of training for a book recommendation. So maybe I am not the only one who finds this annoying."

Quoted for truth. I gotta say, this character feels entirely wedged in there, and this new segment about dueling and her twisting his arm bothered me. Why doesn't Viktor tutor him? (Although Harry's already way ahead in his class...)

16. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

How can she be a good duelist if she can't do simple charms? Aren't dueling spells basically the same as charms?

"you're to scared to duel" - too scared

If they treat favors as business, then her giving him the book saved him x amount of time looking for the right book in the library. Say two hours (which I think is too much, but what the hell). So he owes her two hours of his time, which she wants him to spend tutoring her. She is asking for at least ten time as much. Your protagonist is way too smart to be unable to count. Exchanging tutoring in her strong subject for tutoring in his strong subject might work, but you do have to say why Krum doesn't tutor him in Dark Arts. And you really need to explain how she can be a good duelist without being able to test out of first year charms. If she's so good at controlling her magic, she should be able to learn charms from a list in no time at all.

EDIT: I forgot about the limericks. Yeah, he owes her a favor.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  17. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Not being cursed to read from that book for the rest of his life is good enough trade against helping her test out of a couple of classes.

18. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

They're 11... and she saved him from speaking in limerics for the rest of his life. if someone saved me from that well I'd do them a favor or three of my own volition.

As for the rest of the stuff about her, remember that this is the first scene that we have seen any interaction with her. So I'd imagine that there will be more background information on her on the way (or I hope at least).

19. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

I didn't take that very seriously. Made more sense to me as BS to grab his attention and invoke some gratitude. Why would they leave a book there for no other reason than to curse children? I know it's a hardcore school, but that's just stupid. It's probably the type of thing students would be expected to know though (like the vanishing step in Hogwarts), so telling him wouldn't be such a big deal.

That said, I wouldn't mind if we encountered a character that spoke in limericks. For comic relief, you know...

20. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Limerick thing is a big deal, but why would they keep a book like that amongst 11 year olds? Its not even restricted or come with a warning? In a bookstore or Dark store I could understand...

If it's so well known or common knowledge, then it must have happened to a student...How did their parents react? Why was the book still there after such an incident?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
Not open for further replies.