1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. greywizard-dumblemort

greywizard-dumblemort Fourth Year

Personally as soon as I saw the 'Ro-', I suspected Rosier but I spose the author could also use the ol'twistaroo and have it be some lesser used peon of Grindlewald or something.

Hmm.. dunno, its still well early and this is just a draft but I've gotta agree about the Calypso thing. Yes, she seems like a cartoon villain with that last line about her 'plans for Harry Potter' <insert mad cackle>, yes she dangerous and knows some Dark Arts and yes Krum could at least warn Harry about her as any friend would. There's some patching up to be done if the author wishes to keep realism and consistency but I liked the overall 'feel' of the chapter.

One more thing, she refers to Krum as a pathetic wizard more than once but even though he spends all his time training to be Quidditch professional I'm pretty sure it was mentioned earlier that he's really advanced at the Dark Arts (almost prodigious) just like she is.

Its even funnier because the last chapter I read of this had Calypso asking Harry for tutoring in first year charms and transfiguration including basic fucking shit like the levitation charm (Which is the first charm all the snot nosed punks at Hogwarts learn. Ron Weasley was proficient enough in it to levitate a troll's club 2 months into the school term). I'm a bit confused as to how one can have the willpower/intent/whatever else is necessary for Dark Arts curses with all their various effects but struggle with basic first year charms.

“It's not like I used Dark Magic in our duel! I want his help you ignoran–” - I sense some possibility here, I dunno, maybe her 'plans' aren't as nefarious as we're all thinking. Perhaps just as she accused Krum of being a disgrace to his family, she's a disgrace to hers. Her inability to pass or even perform first year charms and transfiguration could very well be a source of shame.

Anyways, meh, I'm eagerly waiting to see what the actually chapter looks like after you slap some polish on this draft.

2. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

It's interesting that she berates Krum when she has an even worse form of the exact same problem, while not being as good at the Dark Arts as Krum is yet, which she claims is her specialty. Perhaps this is the source of her antagonism towards him.

3. TSN

TSN Auror

Its Rockwood. The *unspeakable* traitor. I'm sure. I don't remember if he has ever been sent to Azkaban.

4. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Rosier would be the most likely. Of the two Rosiers who were Deatheaters one was named Evan, a greek name like Calypso.

It is unlikely that Evan was her father because Moody killed him in the first war and Calypso indicates that her father is still alive. Not likely to magic up a special table for her beyond the grave. But the other Rosier was older then Evan and likely was his father so a brother of Evan could be Calypso's dad or Evan faked his death.

Augustus Rookwood, the unspeakable, is unlikely because he is in Azkaban right now.

5. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

And Rookwood is British, isn't he? Rosier at least sounds mildly foreign.

6. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

It came across to me she was referring to his occupation, wanting to be a professional flyer instead of focusing on magic, as a proper pureblood should. Like some post pointed out before, I don't think flying would be acceptable to purebloods as a honest profession. A hobby? Yes. A career? No.

Just think of today's royalty, can you see one of them taking up sports as a professional career, and if so the reaction from other royals? Not really, it would be beneath them.

7. Tinder

Tinder Seventh Year

The surname Rosier is originally French, but can be found in Britain along with many other names of French origin - there has been plenty of immigration over the centuries, but particularly the Norman invasion, Huguenots (French Calvinists) fleeing Catholic persecution in the 16th century and French aristocrats fleeing the revolution in the 18th century.

In the absence (as far as I know) of a canon answer to his origin it's probably safest to assume he is British.

Rookwood is an English surname, but of course, due to the wonders of immigration and emigration he could really come from anywhere. Unless it's already mentioned in canon. Which it might be.

EDIT to prevent double post -
    Funny you should say that. Zara Phillips is the daughter of Princess Anne and grandaughter of Elizabeth II; according to wikipedia she is "the reigning Eventing World Champion" - that's some kind of horse riding - and missed out on the last two Olympics because of injury.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  8. tad2103

tad2103 First Year

I think its funny that the majority is assuming its either Calypso Rosier or Rookwood when Thorfinn Rowle could just as easily be her father. At this point it is all just pure speculation...but never the less, quite fun.

Rowle is the best described of the three "Ro" Deatheaters. He is rather large and blond (perhaps Scandinavian?), which doesn't bode well for Calypso's black hair but is not a deal breaker because dark hair is dominate vs blond hair.

Rosier is not described in the books beyond the Elder Rosier being one of the first DE's and Evan being from the Marauders generation and dying a year before the BWL did his thing. Unless her father is a cousin of Evan's, she is Evan's extremely younger sister, or Evan knocked up his wife and promptly bit it this might disqualify her from being a Rosier. The best evidence for Calypso being a Rosier is that Evan and Calypso are both names of Greek origin, perhaps in the same vein of the Black/Astronomy naming convention.

Rookwood, during Harry's 1st year, is in Azkaban, having been turned in by Karkaroff. Not much table charming going on there I think. He is described as pockmarked and stooped.

Its also possible that Santi is using a cannon name that wasn't a DE. Madame Rosmerta could have had a "non-cannon" cousin or nephew who was from a branch of Grindelwald supporters. I think, based on Viktor's reaction to the sign of the Deathly Hallows, that Grindelwald was a much bigger deal to the student population of Drumstrang than the DE's were at this point in time. Using the cannon, non-DE logic, Calypso could just as easily be a Robards or a Robins.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  9. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    You guys have missed the most obvious answer.

Clearly, Santi's big secret is that she's Calypso Rowling.

10. Moloch

Moloch Groundskeeper

Imo this fic needs to get split into a discussion thread and a fic thread. Just saying.

11. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

/pointless Calypso discussion (also: LAWL :awesome)

@Santi: MOAR, WHORE D8

12. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

Nah. The Rowlings are the squib branch of the family.

13. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Finally we find out the truth, it is Rosier. Thank fuck that's laid to rest.

Nice bit of info in that chapter. With your worry about the conflict ending abruptly, well it's true I suppose. But at the same time they are eleven, things like conflicts can stop and start at a change of the hat.

14. Calen

Calen Fourth Year

Nice! Though I keep imagining Harry unexpectedly bringing his new girlfriend (or when he's 15/16) new wife Calypso home to meet the parents. lol.

15. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Much better scene. I liked this revelation a lot, and I didn't find the conflict breaking up abrupt at all. Frankly, it seemed realistic, and I liked that.

Great work, and I'm looking forward to your next update.

16. Red Wizard

Red Wizard DA Member DLP Supporter

Great Chapter! I am definitely looking forward to when Harry brings his friend home.

17. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Eh, as opposed to drawing out the conflict, I take this anytime. It works, in my eyes. And yeah, I guess, the thing about their age is true -- you fight, and moments later, everything is forgotten and you're best friends again.

Also:
    I can so picture Kira here <333

Great work!

Fuck, I love this school. My inner elitist is ... purring?

18. RedNehi

RedNehi DA Member

While the reader & Harry have already been told Calypso's last name is Rosier, Calypso doesn't know that Harry knows her family name. Why would she drop her name in conversation if she was trying to keep it on the down low?

Good stuff, though.

Edit: Nm, reading fail.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  19. Falcoren

Falcoren Squib

I guess she knew that Harry knew her last name since it is spelled out above her room.

Great chapter I really liked how it was resolved even though I would maybe have liked it to be dragged out to next chapter but since you are trying to move the story along at a decent pace I think it was the right choice to explain everything here.

Though Im still curios about Calypsos real motives.

20. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

She knows that Harry knows. He has to know her last name to find her room.

EDIT: Too slow...

Not open for further replies.