1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Great chapter for sure.
    And that last bit with Calypso was very well done. As a sort of springboard into dark arts, it was awesome.

2. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

Very nice; formatting issues you missed:

Dropped the first letter-

Dropped a paragraph break-
    Overall, very well done, excellent flow and pacing.

3. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Why do I get the feeling that Calypso is a little bit jealous of someone encroaching? I do like the fact that Harry and Hermione are talking, while I do think that they would tend to get on one another's nerves at times they would actually get along pretty well I'd think.

Also the Harry/Calypso interaction throughout the chapter was exceptional. It'll be interesting to see what the fallout from that last scene is. I'm very curious what he was using as a focus for his anger there, it seemed to have a rather... profound effect on Calypso.

4. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Seemed to me she did not like a female encrouching.

I wonder if what she saw was specifically about Harry or was she just fearful of how powerful Harry was able to make it. She certainly was fearful of Harry for a moment there.

5. Bittersweet

Bittersweet Groundskeeper

@Necrule Paen and fuubar

I'm assuming that the fear is linked to the caster.

Says it all really. She's still feeling the after-effects of the spell, leading to her <slight> fear of Harry.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  6. The Lord of Chaos

The Lord of Chaos Slug Club Member

“Really?” Romulus said with an air of astonishment in his voice. “You are aware that Durmstrang seeks to foster talentedwizards (space), aren’t you? Perhaps a place like Beauxbatons would be better suited for someone of your ability.”

7. wolve

wolve First Year

Hmmh, the only part where I found myself not liking it was where Harry was being obstinate about performing curses properly, he is smart enough to know how intent affects spells, and really is he that much of a pussy that he won't hurt anybody? Just wondering because it's hard to picture him at the same time ambitious and hufflepuff 1st year.

Yes, I can understand his obsession about protecting his family and brother even if my own upbringing has been a lot more distant than his and I wouldn't piss on my brother if he was on fire (if he wasn't I might).

I'd like to see a gradual rise in backbone here, maybe so that it shows in the third year because he is a teenager then reaching for his independence.

8. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Excellent as always I loved the last bit with Calypso trying to subtly to prod Harry about Hermione and then burning the letter. It was excellently done nothing blatant to Harry but we could see from a mile away Calypso has marked what she wants and doesn't want other girls moving in. Also loved the practice scene where Calypso got a little taste of what Harry can do if he actually fucking means it.

So I gotta ask though what I'm most curious about right now, feel free to answer or don't, when are Lily and James going to find out the little bombshell of Calypso's last name? That will be an awesome scene.

9. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

I was more meaning what Harry focused on to be able to produce the actual curse.

Yay for the internet tough guy. He was worried about hurting his friend dumbshit. If that is such an alien idea to you you might want to reevaluate a few things...

10. Dizstance

Dizstance Second Year

I definitely like it, but it seems like in *every single chapter* there is at least one scene of someone lecturing or talking down to Harry, and his responses are always entirely inarticulate and pathetic, I just find that aspect quite irritating.

Great fic, though, and I enjoyed the update.

11. Luda

Luda Seventh Year

Nice update Santi.

As Krogan mentioned it was cute to see Calypso marking her territory and worrying about Hermione encroaching on her 'territory'. Also I found it interesting that she's repped Harry so much to her father, and cares so much what he thinks of him (with this reflected in her determination to see him master the trauma curse, even if she had to play test dummy).

Keep up the good work Santi

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  12. Thorn

Thorn Professor

Good shit Santi. I really enjoy how the chapters progress. Character development in this story is amazing.

Like others said, it was cool to see Calypso marking her territory.

13. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    For some reason I have this hope that Calypso is going to go yandere at some point.

Good update, I look forward to seeing where it goes.

14. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I really like the cursing scene; in canon, HP magic was often just a matter of point-and-click. Very rarely did we get to see Harry's intent play a significant role in his spellcasting.

15. Insanity

Insanity Second Year DLP Supporter

I think that Harry having some problems learning and performing dark magic fits in well with the rest of your story. That said you have brought up the importance of intent several times already.

While the intereaction between Harry and Calypso were intresting in that scene the whole thing felt like a redo of harry learning the enlargement charm. While I can see harry having problems bringing himself to summon up enough negative intent, he should know that it is needed. In fact he once speculated that Victors talent for the dark arts came from having lots of negative emotions.

16. fantasyfreak

fantasyfreak Fifth Year

No, he speculated that the general power behind Victors spells came from negative emotion, never specified a specific magical art in which that theory applies.

17. Datakim

Datakim Chief Warlock

I liked the chapter but I confess I thought it a bit strange that spells this nasty are taught to children. What is Harry now, 12 years old? And he is casting spells liable to cause someone PTSD. That seems a bit extreme to me. I would compare it to giving a 12 year old student in an ordinary school a tazer to use at will, except this is actually even worse than that since its actually mental torment rather than just physical pain.

I realise that dark magic is indeed DARK, but even so this seemed like something I would have expected to be taught later, to more advanced and mature students.

18. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Well it is a third year spell and it is dependent on how much fear the caster wants to cause.

I see it like showing showing fourth years how to kill someone but not expecting anything beyond a nosebleed.

19. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

They were also firmly warned about the illegal nature of AK.

What I had assumed was that the spell just isn't that powerful. Most students aren't going to be able to cast it like Harry. To them, it's probably just a mild hex meant to inspire fear. If the opponent is educated enough they might even be able to withstand a standard version of the hex, or negate it with Occlumency. Calypso built it up for Harry, and then gave him the perfect motivation. Combined with his natural aptitude, he probably just managed to cast a particularly powerful curse. For most 13 year olds, it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

20. Datakim

Datakim Chief Warlock

Poor example. Fake-Moody did not actually teach how to cast the AK, he just showed the class what it does. I doubt very much simply seeing someone do it once from a distance was sufficient for anyone to learn it.

And like you said, even if someone did manage to somehow learn it from just that, the most they would manage is nosebleed. Here however they are all expected to master the spell.

Thats not what the chapter really implied is it?

Note that Calypso who knows what it is supposed to do normally does not use words like "mild hex". She uses descriptors like "intense fear" and "terror".

And how does Calypso react when Harry does manage to get the effect that you describe (mild hex and fear)

Harry managed to not only knock her down but also force her to shiver in fear and even stutter. And Calypso says that that level of fear is not what the spell is supposed to do.

She is only "satisfied" with this:
    Which sounds pretty damn nasty thing to do to anyone, let alone a child. Heck, keep it active long enough and it could easily rival Crucio in pain. Keep it active long enough and I could see it driving you insane.

And even if Harry cast it better than most because he is a prodigy, we should remember that in Durmstrang, most people are highly skilled since thats the kind of school it is in this fic. Many others would likely be able to cast it very well aswell, causing effects similar to Harry's.

I wonder if everyone who graduates from Durmstrang proceeds straight to a mental hospital. :)

I was just a bit wierded out by this. I can just imagine how Harry's parents/brother/Dumbledore would react if he told them, "Yeah, I learned a dark magic spell that causes such intense terror that you are liable to be psychologically scarred permanently if I keep it active long enough! And I am only 12! Cool huh?". :D

Not open for further replies.