1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Death Hallows Do Over! by va32h (K+)

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by kmfrank, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

This was very well-written, especially for fan fiction. It couldn't really hold my interest throughout, though, because while I had problems with Deathly Hallows, I didn't hate it so much that I want a "do-over," and so this story is basically retelling a story I've already read.

It's kind of like seeing a remake of a film you were so-so about the first time. The remake might be better or worse, or it might be better in some places and worse in others, but it's still probably not going to blow you away. If you didn't love the first version, you're not going to be waiting in line opening night to see the second.

So while I could appreciate that the author skillfully crafted her own version of DH which she likes better, it was still a remake. I guess I'd give it a 3/5 for how well it appealed to my tastes, 4/5 for overall quality, thus 3.5.

2. Shake

Shake Squib

Held my attention and perfectly well written, but nothing that really stood out at all... except perhaps the style, which I did enjoy. Recommended, but only if you're bored I'd say. About 3/5

3. Nadino

Nadino Third Year

Kinda rare for me to post around here, but I think this one deserves a review.. if only to make more people read it.

I'm not really into rewrites either but I was bored a couple of days ago and decided to read this. While not a masterpiece, it kept my attention from head to tail and I'm very impressed with some of the author's ideas.

I'll give it a 4/5 since as someone pointed above, there are some grammar mistakes and for it being a rewrite.

4. capo327

capo327 Sixth Year

Why is this listed as Work in Progress?

5. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hmm....

Well, it was decent, kept my interest I think, but I didn't think it was amazing. Just pretty decent. The only story of this author, which is actually kind of impressive.

Plot: Pretty okay. It was a rehash of DH, which is rare, and it wasn't a completely retread, which is also good. There were some parts (especially the ending) I didn't care for. Middle of the road for me.

Characterization: Better than average. The characters were reasonably close to canon, and for the most part, not annoying and fairly interesting.

Originality: It's a rehash, but a decent one. Some good twists, and okay follow through.

Entertainment: It's long, but it should keep your interest. The whole "this is how it should be" may grate some the wrong way.

Technical: Not so great, but reasonable considering the language issue.

Potential: Irrelevant, because it's Complete.
    N/A

COULD I EVEN FINISH IT?
    Yes

Chapter & Word Count/Review Ratio: 34 chapters, 209,789 words, 231 reviews or
    7 reviews per chapter / 908 words per review => Fewer than I expected, really.

Rating (average): 3.0

Andro's Sliding Scale of Fanfic Reviews Says:
    [​IMG]

Or: It's worth your time to read, but it's not the second or first coming of Ruskbyte - maybe third coming.

-J

6. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Read it.

Meh.

3.8 of 5

Thought it unremarkable and "meh", but I did read it.

7. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Meh. I just can't read retard!Harry. I guess most of characters are in character and everything is fairly logical but I just had to force myself to read it.

2.5/5 rounded up to 3/5

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'm going to give it a 4/5.

I think this is one of those stories where you have to go into it with the right mindset, sort of like Mira Mirth's "On The Way To Greatness." It's not a completely original story with fascinating plot lines and characters who have grown into people we can only just recognize from canon. It's a re-telling of Deathly Hallows with a few plot points changed and with our characters being a bit less incredibly daft.

That's what I went into it expecting, fortunately, and so I greatly enjoyed it. The Hallows are different in this one, and to me that's good and bad. I would have preferred they simply made better use of the ones in DH, since they had some neat properties, but this worked. I didn't like where the Kreacher plotline ended up at. Ending was mediocre, yes, as many have mentioned. It was still better than in the book though, and I think the author accomplished what they were going for.

Characters never really seemed out of character to me, though once or twice Harry made "smart" decisions that I couldn't see him making in canon. I.e. realizing he should get the hell out of the wedding instead of continuing his search for Ginny.

Still, Harry is a 17 year old thrust into a confusing and dangerous situation. He rises to it as best as he can, but he doesn't immediately turn into a great leader, fighter, or independant ass kicker. I thought it followed well from prior books, even if not as epic as I had originally hoped the HP series would turn out back when I was reading GoF.

I'd say give it a read with the right frame of mind and you'll probably enjoy it -- it's different enough from canon to feel somewhat "new" and keep interest. If you're looking for something that isn't mostly a retelling of plot points you are already familiar with though, might want to have a look elsewhere.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  9. oghianus

oghianus Muggle

Does anyone have a copy of this story? The link is dead.

10. Nicovi

Nicovi Fourth Year

.epub downloads:
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Redux (chapter 1-38 + Epilogue) by va32h - (Mega, Mediafire)

(Note: it seems the author at some point changed the title from Harry Potter and the Death Hallows Do Over! to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Redux)