1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Wastelands of Time by this_old_dance (joe6991) - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Oz, Feb 25, 2008.

1. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    Am I the only one with a scene in mind of Tonks and Fleur fighting over Harry in the middle of the 'Old-City' bringing the poor guy's headache to a totally another level?
    Seriously, verbal attacks and cat fight just before the 'big' fight starts, forcing Harry to reconsider if it's really worth it to be reborn and try to save them next time.

Brilliant chapter...

2. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

Awesome update. I'm really looking forward to see where the story's going to go from the ending.

Chronos was my favorite part from this chapter. He's absolutely fucking lost it, but the brief moments of sanity that slip in make him a better character IMO.

The Fleur/Harry scene was done brilliantly as well, but it seemed kind of off that Harry was so hung-up on the fact that he was only fifteen and that Fleur was older. But maybe it's one of his insanity and/or character quirks?

Great chapter none-the-less and I look forward to the next update.

3. Cruzik

Cruzik Squib

Another great update. The Old World Fiendfyre in my opinion was one of the best elements in this chapter. It brought about a sense of how truely the wizarding world has become stagnent and is constantly being watered down. Plus the backlash of searing heat for the user and the massive magical drain it seemed to have on Harry added touches of realism and made it all the more believable, unlike other stories of OP Harry.... grrr

Something that came to mind while reading the new chapter was when Harry talked about age differences between Himself and Fleur, If anything Harry should be thinking he's wayyy to old for Fleur. He did assimilate a lot of knowledge and wisdom, he may not have assimilated all his memories yet, but the amount he does remember should bring up to at the very least Fleurs age, mentally at least.

4. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

He may have lived countless years, but I don't think he ever got past his early 20s as far as his age was concerned.

Fleur is what, 18?

I don't see the problem here.

It's not like Harry is an eighty year old man who once had a wife and kids, nor is he crushing after a pre-pubescent schoolgirl.

He may have fought in countless wars and lived through terrible atrocities, but as far as he is concerned he's still just a teen to 20-something guy when romance crops up.

5. Twisted

Twisted Guest

Excellent chapter, I liked the Fiendfyre especially. Chronos is a very interesting character.

6. Cruzik

Cruzik Squib

What I'm trying to point out is that mental age is accumulative, your only 20 once.

Even if you travel back in time to the physical age of 20, your still not 20. Multiply that by his hundreds of trips back in time, he should be feeling pretty worn.

Either way don't think he should have been so hesitant to get it on with Fleur with only a 2 year physical age difference. :(

7. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

I think it's more that, Harry looks in the mirror, and despite him being twetny four (I think it was mentioned somewhere) from his first jump, to being mentally possibly hundreds of years old (which I doubt) he's still in the body of a 15, soon to be 16 year old. When Fleur looks at him, she can tell he's older mentally, but still physically just a 15/16 year old and I doubt it seems right to her to have those kinds of feelings for a minor.

Just my thoughts though.

8. Solfege

Solfege Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

It doesn't work that way.

When Harry time travels, all his accumulated memories are dumped into his 15-yr old body, but he can't access most of them. The ones he remembers most vividly include the moment of his most recent death, but for the most part he'll play out the rest of his timeline with a sense of deja vu and a sixth sense of how things should go.

At least that's how he starts out every time. See, when he negotiated with the goblins, he was working "off hazy memories and feeling [his] way along paths of conversation and intimidation that just felt right." He's reliving the entire situation in the flesh, not consciously remembering each and every time he's done this before.

He's mentally still a 15-yr old, only he's trying to sort out all these memories and deal with this situation he's brought upon himself. Each time he travels, it's as if he starting anew, only with extra "guidance."

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  9. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Bingo!

The only thing I'd add is that his mental age is in somewhat of a flux. He is fifteen, yet he can remember being an older man, and that peeks through a lot.

10. Cruzik

Cruzik Squib

Haha well...

I must admit, this certainly does seem to be the case now that I've re-read the chapters. I have a bad habit of skimming chapters of stories in the massive pile of crap called FF.net to test stories for win. But must once again state, 2 year phyiscal difference is a drop in a pond considering the Supposid long life span of the magically gifted.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  11. Joe

High Score:
  12. Lawyer in Exile

Lawyer in Exile Second Year

A great update, but now I'm really looking forward to moar, as things should pick up steam from here on. Non?

IMO, this mischievous Dumbledore is a very likeable character, I hope that we will see more of him in the future, and also: isn't it time for Voldemort to make an appearance in the story? I actually miss that crudely manufactured plastic mask he calls face.

13. Slokk

Slokk Guest

Great chapter again, please update as soon as possible. :)

14. bluefrog

bluefrog Card Captored and buttsecksed

Actually he would be 20 if his body was 20. Because there is no difference between the mind and body. It is essentially "bodymind" as the mind is an abstract projection of the body (brain actually). That's why Harry's body hurts and he has headaches. Because it is chemically changing as he travels through time. So memories can't be simply transferred to a new body. The body has to be transferred to a new dimension, at least according to scientific factuality regarding the mind and body relationship.

15. Boo

Boo Auror

Which isnt true.
    You can wipe a mind but the body still stays.

16. jjack1003

jjack1003 Second Year

it definitely deserves a 5/5

17. Joe

High Score:
  18. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Right, who do I have to bribe, or what do I have to do to see the next chapter sooner rather than later?

I absoutely cannot wait for my next dose of Joe's special brand of action. By far the best action written in FF imo.

19. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

I'm with Ellisande, here. Who do we have to threaten, kill, or bribe to get an early look at the upcoming chapter?

Seriously, Joe, the early comparison of you to a gifted goddamned gymnast was a huge understatement. Chronos is intriguing as hell, especially as he is in the latest. That whole conversation as he and Harry ate ice cream was brilliantly handled.

Add to this that I'm starting to smell rainfall and strawberries every time I read a decently written Fleur, and you can imagine why I hold your writing in high esteem.

In closing: great work, give me more, and have a beer on me.

20. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    ... indeed... but when is Harry going to introduce "the heart-shaped birthmark" on the sweet spot of Tonks' hip to Fleur, I ask? O_0

Once more you managed to build up the tension and make us pre-taste the upcoming battle, and then end the chapter leaving us begging for more... damn it I hope you will find the time to write it sometime in the next few days...