1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter and the White Wizard by Cyberwraith9

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Probellum, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

Title: Harry Potter and the White Wizard
    Author: Cyberwraith9
    Series: Harry Potter/Dresden Files
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/Humor
    Chapters: 18
    Words: 89,957
    Library Category: Alternates
    Pairings: Nothing official. Hints of Harry/Ginny, and Harry Potter/Molly Carpenter
    Summary: In the wake of tragedy, Harry returns to Hogwarts with a new ally in his personal war with Voldemort. With the help of this unlikely hero, can Harry put an end to the scourge of the wizarding world for good? A Harry PotterDresden Files crossover!
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3758850/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-White-Wizard

So, in short, this fic starts during the Summer Before 7th Year, and before the Horcrux Hunt. It's a bit slow to start, and the pacing is a bit slow overall, but it managed to keep my attention. Essentially, as Harry begins making preparations and brood over the Horcrux Hunt, McGonagall shows up and drags Harry along to go find the new DADA Professor.

This trip entails a jaunty little stroll through the NeverNever, introducing Harry into an entirely different world and culture of magic than what he's used to.

In the end, they end up at...Ebeneazer's Farm, of all places. This serves mainly as a bit of exposition, and to more believably lead them to Ebeneazer's apprentice, Harry Dresden.

Yep. Dresden ends up as the new, reluctant DADA Professor for Hogwarts.

Things pick up from there, but I'll refrain from spoilers. I will say it picks up at a time when Molly is Dresden's apprentice, and the interactions between her and Harry are great. The fic has me rooting for that pairing by the end of the summer.

As well, everyone seems mostly in character, the writing is solid and the way the two worlds are meshed is satisfactory. A bit puzzled that Wand Wizard can't be Soulgazed, however. I get the feeling the author just didn't want to be bothered with them.

That said, the fic has a lot of potential, but doesn't necessarily fully live up to it. I feel like a lot of scenes didn't reach quite as far as they could have, or that there was as many satisfactory interactions. Still, it's a decent read and worth a bit of time.

4/5, from me.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  2. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just as a first mention, before I read it and all.. I might suggest clarifying the "Harry/Molly" portion of the pairings section.

There was an odd, awkward moment when I read that one.

3. Stan

Stan Order Member

I thought the pairing was Harry/Molly Weasley, and was super disappointed to later discover that it was not the case.

4. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

I was thinking the same thing but thinking that fuck that shit.

5. capo327

capo327 Sixth Year

Any decently written HP-HD crossover is usually enjoyable, and this one is decently written so it was enjoyable. My personal issue with it is it follows the later HP books' canon of Harry basically being a lazy idiot and a dick who constantly gets shit on and can't do anything about it. At least he's using Dresden magic instead of a charm he was taught in second year, I suppose. Meanwhile McGonagall became a creepy cunt who drugs her students and blackmails them (although there's the small possibility she lied about it like Harry did with the luck potion before Ron's big game). I don't like the canon characterizations but some people might.

Enjoyable points in the story are usually because of Dresden. His interactions with Snape and the aurors are especially entertaining. Harry and Molly's scenes together were good as well, at least when he wasn't acting like a beta dick. It's too bad Bob was just introduced since his one scene with Harry was great.

Overall the fic was decent enough but it's a decade old and with basic assumed math it's written at a rate of 9000 words per year so I have no faith in it being completed within the next couple of decades considering it's not very far into the storyline. It's enjoyable enough for a read. I look forward to rereading it when I get a chapter alert in five years.

3/5

EDIT: FYI the link in the OP is for the 18th chapter instead of the first one.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  6. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

I sort of like McGonagall's approach honestly. Harry in canon was obnoxious and it's nice to see her take a bit more authoritative role than she did in canon. Also thanks to the author probably starting to write before the Deathly Hallows the setting is a little weird and different, something I enjoy. The Potter/Molly Carpenter interactions were nice as well.

7. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

Quick note given that I haven't read it yet: You might want to change the link in the OP to link to chapter 1, not chapter 18.