1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the World that Waits by dellacouer - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Raggerd, Jul 15, 2008.

1. LuxDragon

LuxDragon Fourth Year

I don't think Harry is a mutant either. It's just that magic is nonexistant here (The movies, not the comics). Natually, anything Harry does that's out of the ordinary is considered a mutant power.

2. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

This story is far better then any HP/X-Men cross has any right to be. Jean is not Harry's long lost aunt, Harry isn't immediatly shacking up with anyone because of True Love, Harry doesn't have any new uber powers, and most importantly, Harry isn't taking it up the ass from Wolverine.

For those reasons, plus the fact that it's just plain enjoyable, I give this a 4.5/5.

3. The Dark Lord Squash

The Dark Lord Squash Denarii Host

I read it, I liked it. There was no slash which was a nice change of pace( for a x-men cross) and for the moment no character has gone to Marry Sue or super OC(this could change at any time for all I know). So yeah for know a 4/5

Also I read a little bit and it seems like everyone is fighting over what his "power/powers" are. Am I the only one who read this with the feeling/thoughts that Harry's power is his magic, which is not really a power at all? At least that's how I walked away with it.

4. Vorpal

Vorpal Third Year

Uh... at least four different people have expressed this opinion on this page alone.

5. LuxDragon

LuxDragon Fourth Year

I think people just wanna compare how similiar magic to mutant powers are.

Harry has legillamancy, Xavier has Telepathy. Charms to Telekinisis. That kind of stuff.

6. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

I'm thinking his mutant power could actually be his magic, meaning there will be no wizards or witches in the dimension Harry's in. I mean X-men are just people who each have a different power and Harry's magic can do some most of the things there power can do.
    I mean when Harry did the glamour charm while escaping it was like he could change into anyone he wanted just like Mystique. Then at the last chapter he was healing Kitty, there are mutants who can heal people/themselves no?

I'm going to take a guess and say there going to think Harry's magic is his mutant power. I mean everything he did besides 'Stupefly' and 'Accio Helmets' seemed like mutant powers, Well I mean throwing red balls of light at people and summoning helmets seem like they could be a mutant power to just not saying the words.

Apparation is kind of like Nightcrawler's Teleport ability.

Well thats all the spells I remember him doing that could seem like mutant powers and Then there are the spells that won't be like any mutant powers at all but Harry might need a wand to do them spells but I doubt it.

I know he doesn't actually have mutant power but it can seem like he's just a super mutant to the students/professors, plus the fact that there are no other magic people in that world from what I can tell. Now I was rambling on, on pointless things :eek:

5/5 Pretty well written, No slash and none of Harry's other friends are there(I hate them all, so thats good) the only thing I would hate is if no one can give Harry a good fight/injure him in this story and he goes super emotional gay who cries like a little girl saying 'fuck me harder SNARRY!'

7. capo327

capo327 Sixth Year

I'm pretty sure the mutants think Harry meant that he could only heal himself, or else Jean would have moved aside and not have had to be elbowed for Harry to heal the girl. Her actions could be chalked up to hysteria, but I'm thinking, with her profession, she must have had at least a bit of clarity.

8. Cy Block

Cy Block Second Year

I was not really sure whether to read this. For one I didn’t know if it crossed Harry with the X-Men films or if it was going to require knowledge of the comics. So far so good. Good read, nice characters, am anxious to see how it continues. It’s too early to tell if it will be any good, but my hopes are high. To be rated later.

9. Azrael's Little Helper

Azrael's Little Helper High Inquisitor

You forget that she was clubbed across the head with the butt of a rifle. Clarity probably got bashed out in the process.

10. XxEnvyxX

XxEnvyxX Groundskeeper

Pretty good story so far, but I will withhold final judgement for at least one or two chapters, because many stories (X-Men/HP x-overs) don't go much further, because the author has no clue what to do next (besides one or two lemons etc.)

So far I give it a 4/5, because sometimes it is very boring to read and the thing with Syren was very predictable.

11. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

@Scott - Magic couldn't be the HPverse's form of evolution. That wouldn't work with the laws of evolution. Sure, you'd get a few like each other,but the gene pool is too big for it to be turning out the same mutation over and over again. Too many factors and too many probabilities.

Also there are very few super mutants (Omega - level) and most have one primary evolution. Some have secondary mutations, but I haven't read about one that has as many "mutations" as Harry. All the Supes like that would probably get killed off quickly by the writers.

All in all I like this story. It annoys me to no end that she mispells characters names though, but on a good idea I can give a little slack.

12. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

It could work.

Two millenia ago, genes mutated rapidly in a person, for whatever reason. It gave them super magical powers. They had a harem, spreading their genes.

Sometimes, a person with the gene exhibits magic, sometimes, they don't. The end. It's totally not possible, but it follows all the "laws" of evolution.

The same evolution doesn't have to occur multiple times. Just once.

13. Vorpal

Vorpal Third Year

What are you talking about? It's a good fit for evolution: you have a trait that shown to be directly inheritable, for Darwin's sake! The existence of muggleborns would just mean that the trait is more complicated than a single gene. It doesn't mean that magical ability has to be partly genetic, but it does mean that it is a much closer fit than Marvelverse mutants themselves. Which is ironic, in a way.

I think what you wanted to say is that the HPverse magical community doesn't fit the pattern of Marvelverse mutants, rather than evolution.

14. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Every time I see "Syren," I want to kill the author. Syrin is not that hard to Google. NERD RAGE!

Edit: Yeah, that just makes it worse.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  15. XxEnvyxX

XxEnvyxX Groundskeeper

Well, the author does it on purpose, it is mention in the third or fourth A/N

16. Mechanicalchrist

Mechanicalchrist Groundskeeper

This made me giggle. Guess why.

17. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Lol, wikipedia.

18. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

Well, yeah. But the way I see it, the M gene in this 'verse gives mutants a certain area of power, where the M gene in Harry's 'verse provides a body with a certain core of magic, though some may still be too weak and established Squibs.

19. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

Updated.

It was a filler chapter, so nothing really new happened. Nothing wrong with that, but I do hope this story is leading somewhere, and I wasn't a fan of Harry just saying its magic and flaunting it. Glad no one but Wolverine bought it.

20. Illution

Illution Seventh Year

Nothing of significance occurred. However we do know the time line of events relative to the movies.