1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter and Wand of Uru by alienyouthct - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Azrael's Little Helper, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Azrael's Little Helper

Azrael's Little Helper High Inquisitor

Title: Harry Potter and Wand of Uru
    Author: alienyouthct
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Romance
    DLP Category: Time Travel
    Pairing: undecided as of yet?
    Summary: An actual remake, rather than repost and continuation, of Harry Potter & the New Life by SilverAegis. 17 year-old Harry ends up in the body of his 10 year-old self, in a world where nothing is as it was. Changes start slow, but more apparent later in fic.
    Link: Yes its another one of those

As I stated in the link, it is another one of those Silveraegis remakes and before you drop this altogether, give this one a squiz - its actually quite decent.

All of the Japcrapisms have been removed along with most of the cringeworthy stuff, and what remains and when the author has created is actually quite amusing. Some of the characters have been renamed and makes the story better. The disclaimer at the beginning the author has written makes their opinion of JKR's recent behaviour quite clear too - "Captain Fangirlhumper… err, J.K. Rowling owns the Harry Potter universe. Wish they were mine so I could do utterly retarded things to them and watch my bank account get steadily larger, but sadly not mine."

This is still probably a guilty pleasure fic, with certain cliches and cringeworthy moments but its solid, and quite enjoyable. A rounded up 4/5 instead of an outright 4/5 due to the fact that the author has shown outright aversion to Harry/Lily and Harry/sister, though that is also used to justify what appears to be anti-harry/ginny pairing.

2. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Fucker gets a 1/5 for the reason of "being a fucker."

3. Azrael's Little Helper

Person may be an utter dick, but if the story is decent thats another issue. Just like how I don't really think much of some people on this forum but that won't stop me reading their stuff providing its good.

For the record, I do agree that the author personally is a fucktard, though their opinion of JKR's handling of publicity is acceptable.

4. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I agree with you, but this guy had the balls to report Shezza's fanfiction because of the pairing yet made it out to believe it was the worst written piece of fanfiction in existence. I'll give him the fact that it wasn't Shezza's best, but that act alone still deserves ultimate damnation.

Plus he went and cut out the reason the story had so much potential to begin with and replaced it with, from what I could see, Harry/Hermione. That alone demands that I ignore this story to the best of my ability.

Nah... maybe I will just report that this story has unreadable english just because I can't stand the pairing.

If you couldn't tell... I hate this guy.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  5. shadownin

shadownin Fourth Year

The story wasn't that great, the writing style is average.

Harry acted a bit too young, he's supposed to be a 17-year old in a 10-year old's body, not a 10-year old.

Harry also comes of as too much as a mother's boy, and since the pairings not Harry/Lily, I don't see the point.

3/5

6. Azrael's Little Helper

The thread in question, lulzy at it was made it pretty easy to tell what your opinion of this person is, not to say what Raven thinks of 'em too. Egotistical buttmonkey and if this story does turn out to be Harry/Hermione, I'll jump ship right after you - that is one of the ships I scuttle with prejudice. Personal distaste for the person aside, the story is generally enjoyable.

7. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

This is interesting and a lot more to my taste than the original, although words can't adequately express my shock at "Winifred Burkle," let alone a BLUE Fred.

Different and already interesting.
    3/5 (It might well go up.)

8. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

The Super!Wand cliche was definitely cringe-worthy, but other than that, it's okay. Decently written with an interesting, if not very original, plot.

3/5

9. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I'll start reading once I can be assured that the author doesn't decide to take the story down from FFNet on a whim.

10. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

The !jock Hermione was cringe worthy as was Longbottom calling her a mudblood, like wtf? Ok all the attention has went to his head we get it but how is that going to make him support Voldemorts view on muggleborns, the person he was made famous for defeating.

Uberpowerful wand is a cliche but at least the author went into some background about it, not just "oh duo core blood of dementor and basiliskvenom with wood from the ancient tree of magic"

2/5

11. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Believe it or not, people really are more complicated than a brick. Just because someone is your enemy doesn't mean you can't agree with their opinions. Neville is a Pureblood, raised to think that he's better than everyone else. It's really not that big of a leap to make.

12. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

The writing style was smooth, all the problems from the previous story were either watered down or removed. Refreshing takes on a few characters kept me on my toes, while some clichés from this genre, like the DracoNeville hybrid, were expected. I found this pretty entertaining on the whole, and I liked the fact that a lot of things are different from the original universe.

Disregarding the author's past actions in the fandom, this desevres a solid 4/5.

13. Skykes

It does if that is the reason why they are your enemy in the first place.

Of the top of my head there are a few reasons why somebody would be your enemy.
    1.You do not agree with their opinions.
    2.They are taking over your land.
    3.You pissed them of somehow.]

Also.

Neville's opinion about anything = whatever his parents told him. Before he became tBWL his parents were both in the Order of the Phoenix, there is no evidence in cannon that the OotP holds any discrimination against muggles or muggle born children. So it is safe to say that before their kid became tBWL they help no discrimination either. They were both good people before their kid became tBWL. So yea power corrupts, but its not going to make them do a complete 180 on their views on muggles.

Edit: its 4:02 am when I made this post so apologies for any grammar and spelling mistakes.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  14. Dirk Diggory

Dirk Diggory Seventh Year

Except there's no evidence to suggest that Voldemort somehow invented the concept of mudbloods. It is far likelier he just latched onto a popular pureblood idea and thus not unreasonable for a stuck up pureblood like Neville to pick up the idea if he is raised in high society as baby hero. What a fucking weird thing to complain about.

I like the story so far. Mostly I like that the guy is actually diverging from canon in important ways, even when it's fucking weird (dyke hermione?). I'm reserving judgment until we see more though.

15. Skykes

But I didnt say that he invented the word mudblood. Just that it is his opinion that they should die or be mastered.

16. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I *think* that the canon pureblood party advocates an "isolationist" philosophy, with only the most extreme movement actually trying for genocide. U.S. readers probably have heard of that old catchphrase "I like the Irish, but I wouldn't want my sister to marry one." That was a reaction to the all the Irish immigrants who arrived during the Potato Famines.

The Longbottoms are not on the lunatic fringe, and I doubt they would actually use the word "mudblood" in front of their eleven-year-old son. Neville has probably picked up their unconcious attitudes. He's most likely parroting words he's picked up from the likes of the Malfoys, who ARE much further along the purebred path than his family.

Dumbledore would stomp down hard on obvious vicious bigotry in the family that is raising his ordained hero.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  17. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I think it is safer to say that the author is an idiot and doesn't have the common sense to understand what being spoiled would do to Neville's character and therefore resorts to copying Malfoys character as a replacement for creativity.

Hadn't read more than a sentence of it, so correct me if I am wrong.

18. Boofers

Boofers Groundskeeper

You're spot on..

19. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Wow. The writing's that shallow?

20. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Wow, if this is the same turd I vaguely remember, he got my story pulled from ff.net back in '04. It took me four years to post it back up, and I've still not quite finished.

1/5, because I'm a vindictive son of a bitch.