1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter: The Last Avatar by The Sorting Cat - T - Avatar: The Last Airbender

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Tutorial Boss, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Russano

Russano Disappeared

His whiny, scared, and traumatized psyche is very realistic. It's also terribly difficult to enjoy reading and empathize with.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Well, unless I forgot some of this discussion, the "change" in Harry happened before the story started. So I'm not surprised we didn't see his family react to it. That'd have been a more boring way to get the story started off as it's essentially backstory, though I suppose it could have been done in an interesting format. I don't particularly mind either way.

Is the point you're trying to make about the "traumatic experience" bit that you wanted it to be spelled out for us though? Because I disagree there. Explaining too much to your readers is as bad or worse as not explaining enough. I like the sense I get of "figuring things out" sometimes.

For example, I'd rather intuit that someone is going off the deep end than have the narrative say "He was slowly going into a downward spiral." I'm just not sure if that's your point or not?

3. TripticWriter

TripticWriter Groundskeeper

Yes, you could be right about Harry's family reacting to his change in attitude even if we were not told about it. I just find it odd that there is no concrete clues in the story that indicate that, even in passing. And it seems to always come back to James attitude, but how he acts just doesn't fit with how a concerned father would.

About your second point, again I agree with you about the "traumatic experience" being kept kinda mysterious. I actually like the fact that we are not completely sure what caused Harry's problems. In fact we have to wait, what, 7 or 8 chapters to understand that it was something related to the Chambers of Secrets. I just find hard to believe that he didn't broach the subject with anyone, even Hermione would have been fine. To be clear, I don't want the author to tell us directly what ensued of the hypothetical conversion but I would have like a line telling us that the aforementioned subject was indeed discuss with someone. I just don't find it realistic that a kid of twelve would be able to keep something like that to himself.

4. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

It was pretty clear for me to see that his parents do indeed know that there is an issue there.

From what I understood, Lily has accepted it, and doesn't wanna pressurize Harry, while James keeps at it to try and get his son to show firebender tendencies.
    Though lately he is giving up on it more.

All this was clear early on in the fic from that candle scene.
    Though, we only learn of his "issue" later on.

5. The Sorting Cat

The Sorting Cat Second Year

Hey, this is in the library now - that's awesome! Thank you.

It would feel a bit petty for me to start arguing for the storytelling choices I've made, so I've kept out of the discussion, but know that I appreciate both your kind words and honest feedback.

Let me put all the speculation to rest: Harry/Hand is my OTP. Just you wait for chapter 16!

Now, next chapter will be about 12k long, called "Who Is Harry Potter?" and I just got the first draft back from my beta, so it will be up within a day or two, tops.

6. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Excellent. I'm very much looking forward to the update.

7. TripticWriter

TripticWriter Groundskeeper

There is nothing petty in defending your choices, so feel free to do so. You can even PM directly the person for a more private discussion if it makes you more comfortable.

8. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Fucking A! I was right.

Can't wait to read more. Thank for writing more, unlike some bitches around there that leave us hanging all the time. >.> <.< o_O

9. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Loved it, 5/5. No plain one sides characters, ginny and cho seem very interesting, and loved how the universes work together really well, hogwarts in avatarland ( I dont know the name of that world, sue me). And the final line on Ch 11 is awesome.

10. Hw597

Hw597 Seventh Year

updated and still awesome, go read it bitches.

11. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

Yes, a very good chapter. The bit with the badges & how Harry cornered Goldstein was good. As was learning a bit about Moody's past.

The only part that I question was during the conversation with his parents, and just with the way that Lily confirmed if Harry wanted to speak with his father. I imagine that it would create quite the arguement once they were off the phone, as it makes it appear that Lily was assuming that Harry wouldn't want to speak to his father. His rather happy father who must have been hurt by this callous rejection, and would have a handy target to vent at, especially as she phrased it that way.

Actually, I feel rather sorry for James & how his relationship with his son turned out. Destroyed by a year or two of his pushing Harry to be more aggresive in his bending?

Anyways, was really happy for the update - the route it went to get Harry to compete was done very well.

12. Russano

Russano Disappeared

Good chapter. Amazing how much character development you can fit under the banner of "why should I compete in this tournament".

I think what I love most about this story is how the AU world can completely change events so you don't know what's coming. I've read countless stories where Harry's name comes out of the goblet and even if they do original things with it, the same story progression is still somewhat predictable. But in this universe it could turn out to be anything.

13. Euroclydon

Euroclydon High Inquisitor

Ron Weasley: The Prince Douche.

14. CBH

CBH Sixth Year

Actually that's Shia Labeouf.

Good chapter, mostly reactions but some really interesting plot info. My impressions:

-The main conflict of the series will be Republic City with Voldemort secretly in charge vs the Kingdoms in an annexation war. Could definitely get behind that.

-I'm usually pretty ambivalent about Hermione, but I'm kind of rooting for a Harry/Hermione pairing in this story.

-I'm liking Crouch more and more as an antagonist. Already had a nice mystery with him before, but he had some good cheerfully threatening moments this chapter which flesh his character out some more.

Looking forward to seeing more.

15. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I'm rarely up for Cho/Harry pairing, but I really like how you managed to make every female character more than a simple cardboard with their name on it. Scratch that, you did this with all of your characters which is amazing.

16. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    It really surprised me that Harry did not, in fact, tell his parents that he is not competing. Yes, I understand how Cat presented this, but I am not convinced. I'd expect it to be the first thing he'd tell them, both of them. My suspension of disbelief was stretched, there.
    But other than that, no problems.

17. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

It stretched mine a bit too, but I think it's explained by Harry's general confusion about WTF is going on here? He's hesitant because he's trying to figure out what Crouch's game is, why he's there talking to his parents, and so on. It just didn't come up through the distraction.

Here's the review I left on ffnet: The bit with Ron earlier was a little grating, and I am left wondering if someone was putting a lot of pressure on him to play that particular part.

Really liked the bit with Hermione believing him and the part at the end where Harry feels relieved when he sorts out Crouch's game, despite it being what it is. He's just glad he knows.

All in all a great chapter. Looking forward to what's going on next. And this wider conspiracy that Crouch is in... interesting. Especially with the possibility that they've been going around killing Avatars before they age enough to be dangerous (possible?!).

18. thejabber27

thejabber27 Groundskeeper

You know, I'm not a fan of !Douche Ron, but here it really works. Ron is actually powerful and popular and it makes sense. Hermione is overall good but has a few meh points that just keep me from liking her completely.

19. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I'd imagine for Harry who can't stand his dad - while he doesn't dislike his mom, it's quite clear he doesn't like the pity she displays every time - and who happens to be in a boarding school which he consider a refuge of some sort. Yeah, I could see him not thinking about informing his parents. Especially since in his mind it was clear he was not going to compete.

20. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    How about something along the lines of:
    "Hey mum, there must be something seriously wrong here, because I did not put my name in. How the fuck did it end up in there?"
    Or a paraphrase of the above.