1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter: The Last Avatar by The Sorting Cat - T - Avatar: The Last Airbender

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Tutorial Boss, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

Really? I find he's getting smarmier and slimier the further the story progresses. So he had it tough in the ghetto and is on some crusade for justice against the aurors? Like I give a fuck, he's still thoroughly unlikeable and he can say whatever he wants about how he's not the same as in 1st year, he still uses his clique of 'friends' to push down people he doesn't think he needs for whatever his cause is, a shining example being ch3. By his own admission he doesn't understand the concept of friends, to him there are only people that are useful and enemies, the first are to be used against the latter. He's a Malfoy with a different cause.

I can understand playing along with Crouch, it's either stand your ground or die with your family, that's no choice. But going along with Ron for a piece of information that's apparently common gossip in some circles doesn't seem worth it. I would say it won't make a difference but apparently the only on who doesn't decide what Harry Potter's gonna do is Harry Potter. He decided to make a token effort, in which case knowing the tasks in advance is pointless, but that got immediately squashed by the crazy-voices in his head which I assume have something to do with previous avatars. Crouch and Moody are something Harry has to tolerate, I dunno why Harry voluntarily picked up another source of annyonance, his social life was the only thing he had some small control over and now that's been taken away too. I miss the Harry with balls from ch11, not this one who seems intent on the path of least resistance.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  2. ILikeLurking

ILikeLurking Second Year

Though it's been said a bunch of times already, it bears repeating - the blend of the two universes here is absolutely seamless. Even ignoring the main plot of the story, the combination-world here makes a gestalt that is truly immersive to me, and I just want more of it.

The only somewhat jarring part of it is that it focuses on characters with european sensibilities (and names) and has them center their lives around what I know to be distinctly asian disciplines. If it were another author handling it, I'd be afraid of it being written as one of those "All things japanese are AWESOME, and the Power that the Dark Lord knows not is...NINJA!Harry" stories that were popular for a while (they still may be, I've been avoiding FFN lately.) As it is, I can easily see the trend of rapid modernization that is shown in TLoK continuing, and bringing the Republic to where is currently is. Given the time-line, it could easily be more advanced technologically, but back-story could easily explain the current state of affairs.

The Houses being divided by element seems far more elegant than the system in HP canon. It makes the Houses themselves much more interesting, and allows more depth of character for the non-Gryffindors than "all Slytherins are bastards," and "everyone else is background." Granted the only Slytherins we have really seen are Malfoy and his goons, but Malfoy already seems to have more personality than his book-counterpart, and, like Ron, could end up being not-the-worst-person-ever. I think that's really where this story shines. Except for Harry, we are shown why the supporting characters act the way they do, or are at least given hints about it. It's not just a granted "This person is ____ so they will always act _____ way."

...Enough rambling. Most people here seem firmly divided between hating Pussy!Harry or enjoying Troubled!Harry. It's probably clear where I fall on that line. I have no trouble believing that this world's incarnation of the Chamber of Secrets, combined with the abrupt discovery of UNLIMITED COSMIC POWERRRR:fire would be traumatic enough to fuck with Harry's mind. It really just makes me wonder exactly what the hell happened. Did Voldemort Blood-Bend Ginny into opening the chamber? Was he involved at all? If so, does he know that Harry is the Avatar, and is that why Crouch is suddenly so involved in his life? I'm loving the slow-reveal, but we're only going to find out towards the end when he learns he's the Avatar, so I'm having to restrain myself from screaming "MOAAARRRRR!"

I wonder what Dumbledore's role in all of this is going to be. I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion of him yet. It was said that he's the reason that Hogwarts has been able to remain separate from the Republic, but how/why? Something to do with him defeating President Grindelwald? It seems like a bit of a given that Voldemort is going to turn out to be the Chairman of Republic City, or at least the power-behind-the-throne. Are they openly at odds, or is it all subtle maneuvering? And is he going to have a more personal, tutoring role for Harry, or will that be left to Moody (who is AWESOME, by the way)? He'll probably be more involved after the big reveal.

I didn't have as much of an issue with Harry taking Ron up on his offer, mostly because I didn't see it as common gossip. Ron is probably the only non-official person in the school who knows what the challenge will be, for the same reason as in GoF. It's dragons.

/wall-o-text

3. purple

purple Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

4. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Just got around to reading it, and I really liked it. All the solutions did a good job of not making even just getting around a dragon a trivial thing, done by just anyone. The little cliffhanger at the end was also well done, and I'm very curious to see how Harry does it.

5. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The chapter was solid, albeit quite shorter than I would have liked given the layover since the last. If Harry releases the dragon in the next chapter it's going to be ridiculously awesome. Very interesting take on the first task.

6. ILikeLurking

ILikeLurking Second Year

Definitely a pleasant surprise, after a long wait. This chapter was pretty interesting for a number of reasons, particularly Dumbledore, dispite his very limited presence. It shows that either there must be pretty significant changes to the characterization of the headmaster compared to canon, or he is far less influential than we have come to expect from him.

It's hard to imagine that canon Dumbledore would condone any animal being tortured and killed for sport, let alone the last known dragon. That he would not only allow the tournament in spite of that, but judge and host it, makes me really want to see more of him, so we can see exactly what his deal is.

7. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm hoping the Avatar reveal is next chapter since we still need time for him to actually learn water D8

8. DemonicInfluence

DemonicInfluence Fourth Year

Has it been confirmed that Harry is the avatar? I mean it seems very likely, but I'm not 100% confident (like is the avatar voice really so bloodthirsty?)

9. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

No not yet, because The Sorting Cat is the biggest cock tease in the universe at the moment.

10. Longinus

Longinus Second Year

Really? The title of the fic is pretty damn clear on the issue.

11. The Sorting Cat

The Sorting Cat Second Year

Thanks. It should have been more than twice as long but I had to split it up. On the upside that means the next chapter is almost 50% done.

12. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    *Bounces up and down, screeching shrilly* IS IT READY YET?!?! IS IT READY YET?!?!

No, in all seriousness, I'm just bouncing in joy cause I was afeared this had been abandoned. So, SO glad I was wrong.

13. theronin

theronin Order Member

Glad to see this is still updating. Great chapter. A couple little things I noticed:

"I think you just made did more damage than the Dragon,..."

Any particular reason you are capitalizing "dragon" everywhere? When you are referring to it as "the Dragon", seems to me like this would be the same as saying "the dog", i.e. no caps.

Lastly, you really glossed over how Fleur managed the task. It was clearly intentional, but hopefully you'll be shedding a bit more light on this in the future.

I love the way you are ending chapters by the way. It's not every chapter, but there are several that have closed with an emphasis that makes me really look forward to the next update. "Fuck the rules" in particular was great.

14. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Considering it is the last one alive it might deserve its own capital. It's not just a dragon, it's the last dragon. Hence, the Dragon.

15. Boo

Boo Auror

How did they even find and capture the dragon?
    Its not like Aang or Zuko would tell anyone. Maybe some anthropologist went to the Sun Warriors city and found them.

What happened to the other dragon?

16. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Professor

I think those ones are still alive or at least haven't been killed. After all krum won the honor of being the first dragon slayer since Iroh.

17. Riley

An update? Really, no seriously? An Update?

What a way to start the New Year.

Also...Charlie is great.

Edit: Hope that the Dragon is important later on too.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  18. buza

buza Squib

Where exactly are you seeing the update? The last update in ffn is november.

19. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

It's in the WbA.

20. Riley