1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Headphone Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Sully, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

Need new headphone suggestions since I'm getting slightly tired of buying £10 ones that last around a couple of weeks at best before one ear stops working, I'll spend around £150 in hope of getting some that last me at least a year.

Tips?

EDIT: Posted this in multimedia due to the music relevancy, sorry if it's wrong.

2. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The type I use is Sennheiser - they're quite comfy and durable, if not always the prettiest of the bunch. Not sure how they compare to different types, but they certainly haven't failed me for the five years or so I've been using mine.

3. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    What kind are you looking for?

My wife received as a gift a set of Bose QuietComfort 2 noise canceling headphones, which are excellent on the whole, but fairly pricey. I have a set of Sony NDR-NC500D which have comparable sound signature for a little less cash. Both are full-sized, over-the-ear headphones and are probably higher quality than what we're plugging them into.

For working out or when on travel, I use a set of Shure E3c ear buds, which are very good in-ear headphones, though discontinued now. (Shure's SE line of products replaced their E line). They came with a set of different-sized plastic and foam sleeves, which lets you find a decent fit to your ear canal size--critical to getting anything resembling good bass from in-ear headphones. When fit right, the headphones double as ear plugs. The lead is low-enough gauge copper that I've used/abused them for years with no shorts or other problems.

4. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

I'm really looking for over-ear headphones for general use mostly; the Sony NDR-NC500D you suggested looks good, they're not overly bulky and seems to have decent reviews. I think I may end up going with that, not too sure yet.

5. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

What type of music do you listen to mostly? What kind of source will you be running it through (iPod, Comptuer,, any amps? etc.) and do you care about quality over comfort or is it the other way round?

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've got the Sennheiser HD 202 and quite like them. And they're pretty cheap too (about £25-£30). Very good sound quality for the price, but they're not noise cancelling.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  7. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

Gonna be playing music through an iPod, and I mostly listen to Rock. Definitely choosing quality over comfort. Smaller headphones are preferable.

8. J22

J22 Seventh Year

I use these. Good sound quality, good looks, bad for running. They're also much cheaper on ebay.

9. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

I use Grado SR60s. They've got reasonably good sound, and the cord is durable - I generally damage the wiring connections in headphones over time, but these have lasted and lasted.

But they wouldn't be good for an iPod - too unwieldy for portable use. Apparently Grado has released a set of headphones designed with portability in mind, though: amazon.co.uk link.

Its reviews seem to be good but not perfect; if possible you would definitely want to test them out in a store. That goes for most of the more expensive headphones; you want to see if you're satisfied with its sound characteristics and the way it fits on the head.

10. AAli

AAli High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

11. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Theyre expensive as, but I've heard a lot of good things about the Tritton AX720 series. Its a headset, but yeah...

12. djbe

djbe Squib

Beats by dr dre are good for music with emphasis on bass (rap music and such), so I don't think you'd want those (you mentioned you prefer rock).

Bose QC 15 are really good overall (sound, comfy, ...) and they've got good active noise cancellation if you need it, but they're quite expensive. They come at €350, but I was able to get them at €250 so look around a bit before buying these should you want them.

13. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

The type of rock might help. There's a pretty big difference between what you'll want for Hendrix or Slash, when compared to what you'll want for Deicide or Nile.

14. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Not quite what you're looking for I'd think, but I use these

Logitech Digital Precision PC Gaming Headset

[​IMG]

Not enough bass in them, but they're comfortable, and I've had them for years now.

15. Antivash

Osnap... Reminds me.

[​IMG]

Turtle Beach PX21 PS3/PC/X360 Headset

Those have bitchingood sound to them. Bass is perfect for music and gaming, clean sound, works with consoles and PC, nice long cable, uber light too. Comfortable as hell.

I seriously love these things.

16. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

Roland RH200's. Decently flat headphones, can be tight around the ears after extended use wearing glasses.

Flippable earpieces, spring cord, 1/4 jack screw on connector.

Does the job for what I need them for, mainly headphones for live mixing to cue lines to check for any problems and for listening to music on the bus to/from Uni.

Also, Bose = overpriced prosumer wannabe. Avoid like the plague. Hyped and EQ'd to the shitter. All highs and all lows, must be bose, no mids at all.

Stick with brands like Sennheiser, AKG, Shure etc These companies actually make pro audio gear and know what they are doing and have a long history doing it. Bose is one of the prime companies who try and trick all the uneducated people into thinking they are a pro audio company with their consumer products at prosumer prices. You will never find Bose equipment at ANY decent live music event or studio.

17. se7en

se7en Professor

You can go two ways with this: Open or Closed Headphones. They both produce a unique sound, and both have their pro's and con's. Open has a fuller sound, but people can overhear you, because sound leaks though really easily.

[​IMG]
    Audio Technica AD 700

This is an example of a great open headphone that is around your price range.

Don't overpay and get something like:
    [​IMG]
    HD600

You will need an AMP/DAC to start noticing a big difference in sound quality.

Closed has a smaller sound stage, but has a punchier bass, and doesn't leak sound.

[​IMG]

SONY V-6 are pretty cheap, but they have good sound quality.

If you want the best bang for your buck, you only really need to pay around $100-150 USD for the headphones. Because you will need an AMP for the more expensive ones.

18. Antivash

More on topic:

Skullcandy RocNation Aviators in Brown look fuckin sweet... They've got a smaller series in a few different looks that are decent called the Icon 2. As well as 5 or 10 different in ear with about a billion colors each.

I've got a set of these, these, and these. All excellent quality, each comes with three different sized paddings... I hear a lot of people talk shit, but honestly, they're good god damned headphones if all you're doing is using them for an iPod.

Protip: Get one of the chrome/black chrome FMJ's in ears I linked and they come with memory foam padding that not only is awesomely comfortable, but helps reduce outside noise by about 90% more than normal.

19. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Skullcandy in-ears I picked 6 up up at TJ MAX marked down to like 5$ when they were closing their electionics section, very good for everyone so far with adjustable pieces in the ear, and nearly impossible to break, and my kids can break anything.

20. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I second the Sennheiser recommendations. Most of their 100-150£ headphones are very good, high quality ones that'll last you several years.