1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HELP! Please.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Rico Rodriguez, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

I have just started writing fanfiction about four months ago, and I reached four chapters and about 18k words in my first fics. I reread it, cause I forgot one minor detail, and I realized that it was extremely cliched in some points, the character interactions were boring and artificial, and development was also boring. And worse, I realized each chapter is written differently from the previous ones. So, I decided to go back and rewrite it, only this time I am keeping it much shorter, my first intention was 1.5 m words and that would take too much filler in some points, and also the story can be finished in about 200-400k words. But the problem was that, every time I think I should write, I get lazy, and also my interest in the story is losing because there are some parts I am really excited about, but they come up later. I tried to write them early, but I thought it would affect the flow of the story. I need someone to talk to and maybe bounce my ideas around, my friends are not an option because I know for a fact that none of them know what fanfiction is, in fact some of them have't even read the HP books r saw the movies. Is there any one who can help me?

Fic Info:
    Name: Choosing Our Destiny
    Author: RicoRodriguezJC3
    Summary: Harry Potter is the brother of the boy-who-lived. The day his brother was attacked, he made a silent vow to train and prepare him in every way possible to destroy the evil that is Voldemort. As he delves deep into different kinds of magic, both known and unknown, he realizes that Voldemort may not be as evil as the horrors he is about to face. A different kind of non-bwl fic.
    Words: 18,380
    Pairings: HP/OC, maybe HP/FD fling.
    LINK: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12922807/1/Choosing-Our-Destiny

2. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

There's this place called Work By Author where you post fics in order to get feedback on them.

As for inspiration, or simply the will to sit your butt down and write, that is sometimes difficult. We all do this different ways. Personally, I sometimes write sections in abbreviated notes (except for dialogue) to get the bare bones down. Sometimes it's good to distance yourself from distractions. Move to someplace in your apartment that's free of any distractions, or if you have a laptop, go someplace else. It's preferable to not have a laptop that can run games, as the old pile of junk I use, because then there are no distractions.

My suggestion is to have an outline, but to not keep it too tight. If you already know every single thing and don't discover new and awesome stuff as you go along, that may take some of the spark out of it. This will probably mean you need to edit more at the end of things, but for some writers it works better. Check out Brendan Sanderson's lecture of Discovery Writers vs Outline writers if you want more info. It's on youtube somewhere.

3. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

Yeah, I know that but I wan't really thinking about it when I linked the story.

4. James

James Unspeakable

First step: Start thinking, then.