1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Help with video

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Danjam, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Danjam

Danjam Seventh Year

So, my crappy motherboard died recently, wouldn't power on at all, and I figured I might as well upgrade my cpu with it, so I purchased a Asus m3a78 motherboard with a amd phenom 9950 proccesor, and a pack of 2x1GB of G.skill ddr2 pc2-8500 ram.

Now that I've gotten all this new stuff installed, it powers and and seems to work, but I get no video over the ATI Raedon x1600 I have. I've checked that everything is installed properly, and the motherboard doesn't have any onboard video. I'm relatively sure the video card works, as the fan on it powers up, and there was never any problems with it, but I dont really have a way to test it, as my other PC doesn't have the correct PCIx16 slot.

Any suggestions from the tech experts here?

Edit: Nevermind, I found that some of the cpu pins are bent, gonna try to see if I can get a replacement.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  2. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

AMD still uses PINS?! Holy fuck...Get with the technology AMD! >.<

I just recently built a computer with a Core 2 Duo, and that baby had NO pins anywhere. So easy to install I almost wet myself. The longest part of building the computer was rerouting cables and installing Windows XP into VirtualBox on Ubuntu 8.04...(The base install of Windows XP SP2 has some 200 updates to complete, even in a virtualized environment. Ubuntu 8.04.1 itself has 150 some. Updates > Installation time > Build time.)

Fuck pins, go Intel (on your next build of course...No sense wasting money when you've already got the AMD crap).

By the way, I have nothing against AMD. My desktop uses an old AMD Sempron (or maybe it was Athlon...) and still works 5 years after building it (minor upgrades to video card and hard drive non-withstanding).

3. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

AMD was lagging, last I read... AMD Dual-Cores were way behind Intel in performance and what not.

/me <3's his Yorkfield Q9450 Core 2 Quad.

4. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

In related news, AMD have broken up.

5. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

If Intel goes complacent again, I'm going to build my own goddamn chips. -.-

6. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

ROFL. Way to get it completely 100% WRONG, Miltis. This isn't a case of better 'technology', nor of AMD being behind the times.

AMD, Intel and Cyrix all used to have pins on the bottom of their CPUs. Sometimes those pins would get bent and the CPU would be returned under warranty. Intel said, "fuck this, we don't want to deal with this warranty shit. Let someone else deal with it!" So, Intel decided to stick the pins on the motherboard instead. So if you bend those pins you can deal with Gigabyte, ASUS, or whoever instead of Intel. It was an entirely selfish move and had nothing to do with better technology.

Power and data is still transferred by pins in sockets, it's just that Intel reversed theirs to shift liability onto someone else.

7. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

I see... I didn't realize they had moved the pins to the motherboard (also didn't bother to do more than line up the golden arrow on the processor with the arrow on the motherboard), and assumed since there were no pins on the processor, that they didn't need pins anymore. Thanks for correcting.

8. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I didn't mean to sound like such a prick. I still have some residual love for AMD. I've got an Intel CPU at the moment because there's no doubt that they make the best CPUs for your dollar. For several years though, AMD were king. They still have my respect even if they don't have my money.

9. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

No worries. I, too, still have some love for AMD. Hell, anyone that can compete with Intel AND Nvidia at the same time has my respect.