1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Helping Harry

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by caparot, Sep 26, 2021.

1. caparot

caparot First Year

High Score:
    As we all know Harry's character was made to be the chosen one but with the skills of an everybody man.

So what would you change to the story to help harry fight a supposed to be competent villain?

Edit: As Ive said to my other post my endgoal is still to read a fic (recs) or for someone to hopefully write it.

Here are some samples of fic that I was talking about:

1. Forging the sword. Harry's control of the Gryffindor sword against lucius. If he could summon it again, he could be a dangerous combatant against most wizards
    2. I forgot the fic but chapter 1 was Voldemort couldnt be killed because of the hocrux and was able to fight inside potter's house even if it was boobytrapped. Here potters were dangerous because they got homecourt advantage (this is what I expect of a wizard home) but still cant kill volde fully thats why voldemort is so dangerous to everyone even if they were anyone.
    3. Prince of Slytherin. Harry was given legilimancy
    4. Fics that give voldemorts memories to harry but I hadnt read a good one.
    5. Beyond the Curtain. Harry is given some the Deathly Hallows with a twist to their powers

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    You say you want competence but then also suggest to just slap Harry with spell immunity.
    Step back. Reflect.

3. caparot

caparot First Year

High Score:
    Well the odds of him defeating someone so far ahead of him in experience is too skewed. Im just suggesting what can we give him to balance it on his favor.

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Canon Harry defeated Voldemort not because he was just as good at murderkill curses, but because he knew something Voldemort didn't. So, right there you have an example of someone of lesser straightforwardly understood power defeating someone of greater power.

5. caparot

caparot First Year

High Score:
    Yeah I agree, they even gave him the deathly hollows to offset a little but from a narrative pov, harry is still weak.

My sample was like if he cant die easily (like nagini) wouldnt that make him dangerous, deadly and helpful on the war effort? Im not discussing canon, Im just thinking about possible fic ideas or AU fics.

6. ScottPress

High Score:
    He was dangerous, deadly and helpful to the war effort in canon, which is exactly the point. Harry wasn't weak in canon, Voldemort was just on a whole another level--and Harry still had an advantage over him because of his knowledge of wandlore. You can write a canon-compliant fic and Harry is still dangerous. If you want to power him up, do it, but justifying it by calling canon Harry a weakling is stupid.

7. caparot

caparot First Year

High Score:
    Well I didnt say he was a weakling but i was thinking of what we edge can we give like the fic of forging the sword. what if he can summon or unsummon the sword of gryffindor and the way the fic used it like banishing the sword to lucius was kinda cool and would be a dangerous tool to give to harry's arsenal. (that's the kinda thing im looking for). A spell, specialty or a weapon, a plan? we can give him to offset the advantage of voldemort who should be almost unbeatable. coz the death of volde (expelliarmus) in the hands of harry still isnt that satisfying for me.

8. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    That's because you still think that Voldemort's defeat was at all related to spells.
    No wonder you don't find it impressive, you've failed to view events in anything but the most surface way.

9. caparot

caparot First Year

High Score:
    I admit that my least fave was the last books of hp. I just like fights/scenes to be as epic like the malazan. Him surviving the AK was ok for me but expelliarmus vs AK was a letdown. The plan that the wand he was holding was the key to his victory was not planned at all and just happened to happenstance right?(dont remember the full details). All Im saying is I just want a satisfying way for harry to have the potential to be his equal. Just Potential.

10. ScottPress

High Score:
    Harry knew that the Elder Wand wouldn't harm its master and that he was its master, so using the Disarming Spell when Voldemort used the Killing Curse was Harry basically with his dick out, balls low and swingin' because he already knew he would win.

DH has its faults, but this scene and how Harry vs Voldemort was resolved wasn't one of them.

11. moribund_helix

moribund_helix Third Year

I somewhat agree with you, BUT: I think the most bad-ass thing Harry did was "dying" and thus protecting (somehow) the others from Voldemort. I don't quite understand it, but apparently Harry realises it. Harry knowing about the wand-lore admittedly one-ups Voldemort who is apparently unable to grasp the truth. And this really comes down to him being fooled by Snape (because he cannot understand love? meh, also because Snape is very talented obviously).

However, Harry being the true master of the elder wand is really by chance (and author's wish). And I'd also say it doesn't really hold up well if you think about it: Draco was the true master because he disarmed Dumbledore, but Dumbledore had already given up. He didn't intend to live: he could have easily beaten Draco, even as frail as he was then, he outclassed Draco. So how does this make Draco win against Dumbledore more than Snape? There may not have been an agreement between Draco and Dumbledore, but Dumbledore knows full well that he will be disarmed (Draco doesn't even cast silently) and he chooses to be disarmed. Much like he has chosen to die by Snape's hand.

All in all, Harry's good moves are a) understanding Voldemort to find & destroy the Horcruxes and b) willing to die and thus protecting the others from Voldemort. And Voldemort's shortcomings are being fooled by Snape and being generally an idiot to serve the author's purposes.

Back to the question, I'd make Harry torture all info & knowledge from a Horcrux.

12. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Dumbledore was no longer the Wand's master by the time Snape kills him. It's not that complicated my dude.

13. moribund_helix

moribund_helix Third Year

Does Dumbledore's own choice count for nothing? Time and again we see that choices matter, they hold great power, and yet Dubmledore's choice to let Draco disarm him is meaningless?

Edit: Regardless, the fact that Harry has won Draco's wand and is now the master of the elder wand is pure happenstance.

14. caparot

caparot First Year

High Score:
    Thats what Im saying. I mean the author could give the hallows as a powerup but the problem was he hadnt earned it enough. Im sure other people can write that section a bit better. Im just really looking for a fic or hoping someone could write a fic (coz i cant) about that because of the itch thinking about this.

15. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Correct. Even assuming that Dumbledore let himself be disarmed (as opposed to being too out of it by the poison to react) nothing in the book suggests that sitting there and taking it affects anything afaik.

You're making a lot of assumptions and subscribing them to canon.

16. caparot

caparot First Year

High Score:
    Ok, I've change the nature of my post to be more fanfic-centric because I didnt explain what I wanted clearly and ended up discussing canon which should not be the point of my post. So care to add more fics that gives nice help for Harry? or some suggestions perhaps? Thanks

17. Acquiescing Avian

Acquiescing Avian Second Year

You are only considering Dumbledore's choices. What about Snape and Malfoy?

Snape killed Dumbledore only because Dumbledore told him to do so. In some ways, it's the same as Dumbledore killing himself. The action is not really Snape's; it's Dumbledore's. Malfoy disarmed Dumbledore for himself (and Voldemort, obviously), not for Dumbledore.

18. Azialady

Azialady Squib

there is some truth in what you say

19. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    I'd say give Canon Harry ten years and he'd be a lot more conventionally powerful (He did become the head of the DMLE by 30 something after all, and his predecessors in that post were all meant to be very powerful witches and wizards). I have serious doubts as to whether or not 17 year old Tom Riddle could beat 17 year old Harry Potter in a fight btw. He just didn't have the experience. With that being said, I doubt that 70 year old HP would be able to take 70 year old Voldemort.

20. Glitter

Glitter Squib

Hi.
    I am new so sorry if my post is badly formatted.

Forget-Me-Not
    - by lomonaaeren
    Dumbledore accidentally overpowers a notice me not (or rather forget-me-not) spell he casts on baby Harry to protect him from death eaters, then, immediately forgets about it, and about Harry.
    A Harry who stays behind the scenes and isn't a walking target due to his fame but still effects the big picture of the fight against Voldemort.

I think Harry's fame brought more trouble than it was worth in canon so his 'extra power' in this world being the opposite of fame - anonymity, was really interesting.

The Child of Azkaban - by
    LonelyHarvest
    Baby Harry gets summoned to his nearest legal guardian, the only problem is Sirius while not actually a criminal due to his lack of trial, is still trapped in a cell in azkaban.
    Basically his special power in this is a spoiler and I don't know how to do block out/spoiler text to cover it but

-------------------------------------------
    His power developed as result of needing to cope with the insanity of azkaban and its residents is a magical aura of sanity.
    ------------------------------------------

Mad-Eye Moody's Little Marauder - by
    selenaquana
    Au where Harry gets some actual training for what his life's going to be like from a young age. Mad eye raising Harry is definitely an advantage canon Harry didn't have.