1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Hitchups - The Antic Repartee - T - How to Train Your Dragon

Discussion in 'Television and Movies' started by Platypus, May 6, 2011.

1. Platypus

Platypus Groundskeeper

Title: Hitchups
    Author: The Antic Repartee
    Rating: T
    Genre: AU/Adventure
    Pairing: Multiple Hiccup/OC pairings
    Chapters: 40
    Words: 330,665
    Updated: June 14, 2012
    Published: September 12, 2010
    Summary: Hiccup didn't see the point in stopping Astrid as she ran off towards his village—towards his father—with his most desperately protected secret. He was leaving anyway. A coming-of-age tale. Deviates from movie. Borderline bromantic-comedy.

'Bromantic-adventure' is the best description I can give this epic. It's over 200,000 words of the detailed fallout of Hiccup leaving Berk and going on a journey that takes him through strange, magical incidents and foreign lands where he can barely speak the language. Hiccup and Toothless are hilarious and almost pitch-perfect as Hiccup grows up and they both grow into each other over the year and a half that the story has currently covered, and I've come to love the surprisingly distinctive OCs, and the Berk-centric interludes that cover the familiar characters from the movie.

5/5, because I reread it and I still loved it.

Checked: June 16, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  2. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've been following this for a while, it's really good and I recommend it to anyone who liked the movie and enjoys old school fairy tale logic. 5/5.

3. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

The story definitely isn't perfect. The butchered English pisses me off to no end and Toothless being able to talk to Hiccup is more than a little contrived. And I won't even start on his dream buddy and lightning bow.
    That said, this is probably my favorite series of the genre (not that there's much competition to begin with anyway). I give it a solid 4/5, perhaps more later on now that the story seems to be reaching the climax.

4. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A delightful little piece. The characterization while not to extreme are good. I enjoyed it.
    4.5/5

5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Only finished chapter 15, but I really like it. Obviously there are some issues, but its still an awesome story. Solid 4/5 so far.

6. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Aaaand they did a good Hungarian translation. It's little awkward but hey... at least they didn't butcher it up like Rorsh did. Once I've seen a fic which name was 'Iskola Academy' Iskola means school. How retarded is that? I wrote to the author, and he said he liked the word and to top that, nothing in the whole fic was in connection with Hungary. So I salute him for the effort.

7. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

I, too, have been following this since its early days and its a fun read if you can look past the grammar. There's some decent fan-art too, the links are in the authors profile.

4/5

8. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

That was fantastic. The early chapters were a little rough [4/5] as the author tried to find her feet, but once she'd decided to keep on writing and incorporate a proper plot it climbed to 5/5 and stayed there.

Ordinarily I dislike fics by female authors because they have no idea how to write a male mindset. That isn't the case here. I didn't even notice that the author was female until I was half way through the story.

Good find, Platypus.

5/5

9. Karnath

Karnath First Year

Chapter 36 is up

10. Platypus

Platypus Groundskeeper

I'm liking the Berk stuff so far, but I'm getting whiplash from Hiccup's mood swings whenever he interacts with anyone.

That said, I loved what the author did with dream-buddy.

11. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Yeah, felt very touching.

I think this is the point where it could get very cheesy. But the author has done a good job in avoiding that so far.

12. yak

This story has finally finished. Hitchups is amongst the best completed fics that I've read this year in any fandom. The climax was suitably grand and the ending wrapped things up nicely.

If you haven't given this a chance yet, do yourself a favour.

13. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'm halfway through it and it's bleeding fantastic. 5/5 easily -- better than some published fiction I've read. I'm not sure if it helps that I've only seen the movie once, because while I'm vaguely familiar with what's going on I can't tell if anyone is OC or not. Seems great to me.

The writer is talented at ... well pretty much everything, from characterizations to OCs to creating suspense. I'm with Yak on this -- one of the best fanfictions I've read this year. And it's complete.

I would strongly suggest watching the movie once before reading -- it's a good movie for everyone, though aimed at I'd guess ages 8-15 or so -- but it's probably not required.

I'm particularly fond of how the author is playing out what happened to Toothless to get him into the position he's in (and was in). It is taking events from the movie and adding more depth to them while at the same time taking us in a completely different direction.

The only things that I might consider not liking are the ... dream lady, or whatever, and the accents that sometimes appear. I'm not sure where the author is going with the lady that appears in his dreams (thankfully on rare occasion, twice in 20 chapters), but on the surface I could see it being irritating later. And while I recognize that given the language barrier that there will be some difficulty in understanding others, the accents are, well, difficult to read and occasionally vastly irritating. Neither of these things has significantly diminished my enjoyment so far, and there isn't really anything else I can come up with to complain about.

The fact that Hiccup can 'talk' to Toothless doesn't bother me at all. It might if they were constantly communicating with others, living in a village, etc. but they aren't. They're mostly on their own going on a journey -- and for that it works. I guess I'm trying to say that Hiccup talking to Toothless isn't used as a plot device in the same sense as parseltongue so often is.

Thanks for the rec OP. I'd never have found it otherwise.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  14. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

Agreed. I generally don't venture too much out of the HP stuff, but I'm a good way through this, and it's high quality stuff, all of it.

I genuinely liked the movie, for some reason, and I think the author does an amazing job of expanding that world in a way that seems vaguely historically consistent. The genre is adventure really, but the best part is the character development as Hiccup grows up.

I'll post more when I'm finished.

15. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Finished reading this tonight. Solid 5/5. There were some minor things I could poke at as not being perfect or that I would have preferred to see in a certain way, but damn. Overall this is a very well written story. For instance -- I'd have liked to see Hiccup either explain the thing with his bow properly to his village or give a better reason for keeping it to himself. But that's not a big enough deal to hamper my enjoyment. Same with the other things I could point as wishing were done slightly differently (I wanted to see more Night Furies, some of the bonding stuff could get a bit too mushy/fluffy, etc.).

Everything seemed to play out well in the end -- including the bit with the dream lady. Nice story arc there without taking up too much screentime. I liked how the end of the story was also the beginning in a way, while still providing good closure to the storyline. The author stayed true to canon while completely turning knocking it on its ass. Not to mention the depth that was added to everything.

I'm with Yak -- if you haven't tried this yet do yourself a favor. It's one of the best fanfics of the year, and you only need a basic/passing knowledge of the movie (or books I guess) to enjoy it.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
    yak
  16. yak

For those of you who don't have The Antic Repartee on author alert, there's now a one-shot sequel to Hitchups. It follows the thread of Hiccup and Camicazi's last meeting and its fallout.

Letters does not disappoint.

17. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

I almost liked the epilogue one-shot more than the story. Perfectly done, I think.

Not to say that I didn't like the story. I'd give it a 4.5/5. Incredibly well-written and interesting. However, I didn't think that all of the mythological elements were necessary, nor did they add to the story. Most of it seemed like filler in the end, since many of those encounters didn't lead to any really meaningful plot points later on. I feel like the author could have easily written out the mythology and replaced it with elements that, to me, have a better fit in the How to Train Your Dragon universe.

Regardless, awesome story.

18. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Liked the way it ended generally.

I still have mixed thoughts on the whole Loki attacking the island. It kinda felt like it just popped out of nowhere and breezed through the events. But it did set it up well for the end.

I also like how even though Stoick and Hiccup have kinda made up, there's still that awkwardness and distance between them. The author could've easily had them make up fully, but I think it was a lot more natural that it never really went back to the way it was.

The whole fight with the demon was...alright. I think in general, those kind of endings are hard to do well because well, the issue here is the villain is just a monster. No real character or anything, so the final battle was kinda meh. But I guess it was done as well as you could in the situation.

yak
  19. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

I came, I read, I enjoyed.

Both the actual story and the oneshot epilogue get 5/5 from me. I enjoyed the interactions Hiccup had with various historical figures and the mixing of time periods didn't make me nearly as angry as I thought they would.

The fact that Hiccup and Toothless could talk to each other was pretty necessary because, for the most part it was just them. I liked how Gudrid's subplot was resolved and the open ending that managed to wrap up the story nicely.

My only complaints are that I thought Hiccup spent too much time in the big city (the one that worships cats) and the ending fight was kinda meh. I skimmed through those bits.

The mythology was cool and provided background that, while replaceable, was still interesting to read. The Loki scene was sudden, but I think that's kind of how divine intervention should be: sudden, meaningful, and fast. It sets up the world nicely for Hiccup to have more adventures doing crazy shit. Also, it inspired me to go rent "Thor" from my local blockbuster.

20. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

A full sequel has been officially confirmed.