1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

House of the Dragon

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Drachna, May 12, 2022.

1. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    So, there have been two teaser trailers released for House of the Dragon, and I'm extremely hyped. I never got around to finishing Game of Thrones, but I loved ASOIAF and quite enjoyed Fire and Blood, which House of the Dragon is based on. If you're not up to date with what the Dance of Dragons is in the history of ASOIAF it's essentially a Targaryen succession crisis that took place a couple of centuries before Robert's Rebellion and saw the vast majority of dragons in Westeros killed.

If anyone has any thoughts on the new series I'd love to hear them. I'm sure that a lot of people are feeling quite sceptical about a new GOT TV show in the wake of season 8, but it's being produced by a new set of showrunners and directors, the cast is pretty talented, and they're working off of actual source material again.

2. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I predict that the biggest problem will be lack of "Starks" in this series. And not as a House, but rather likeable characters because everybody was just bastards to each other in the Dance.

3. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    It'd be nice to get some insight into some of the less explored houses tho, Houses Velaryon and Hightower specifically, as they'll be the main non Targaryen players.

But yeah, they'll need to make up some relatable characters. I think that they might make one of the claimants more sympathetic than the other, but it might also just go full grim dark. Idc, I'm along for the ride either way.

4. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    When is it coming out? Quite hyped.

5. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I'm not gonna lie. I'm hype as fuck.

Did I hate the GoT ending? Yes. Am I ready for an adaptation of The Dance?

Yes.

I can't wait to see how they try and make both Rhaenyra and Aegon II sympathetic characters

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  6. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    The 21st of August apparently, so soon enough. I should be able to finish watching House of the Dragon and then smoothly transition into WOT season 2. My Friday entertainment is sorted for a long time.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  7. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

This show will only be sustained by the talent of the cast.

I won't lie. I felt absolutely nothing watching this trailer. Nothing. not hype, not disappointment. Its weird.

I hope the writing and cast can make it good.

8. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    I mean, the source material is pretty interesting too, and hopefully the writing is halfway decent.

9. MuggsieToll

MuggsieToll Seventh Year

Agreed. The Dance of the Dragons takes up a huge chunk of the 707 pages that make up Fire and Blood, and those pages absolutely do not disappoint.

I mean, how could it? A Civil War that reduced the number of Targaryen Dragons for 15 to 4? None of them passed peacefully in their sleep from natural causes.

10. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The civil war part of GOT was good until they had to bring it together with the fantasy evildoom part. This looks like it will be the civil war part, minus fantasy evildoom, plus moar dragons, plus Matt Smith, minus D&D who kinda forgot they can't write original material.

I am looking forward to it more than any show since GOT itself.

11. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    Hmm. I was probably looking forward to the wheel of time more, but look how that turned out.

12. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

So, we're less than a week out, and however much I hated the latter two seasons, I'm hype as fuck.

Fool me twice, I guess

Man I hope Vhagar is proper huge.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I mean, different project, different writers, and the story is already established. The Dance is not the most impressive of tales, but it should make for good bleak and bloody entertainment, if nothing else.

Also, Matt Smith is a delight to watch in everything. He even made Morbius slightly less awful. Slightly.

14. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:

15. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's NOW TV in the UK too. The worst thing being that their regular subscription (£10/month) is for 720p and you have to pay an extra £5/month just to get 1080p. Which really is just the bare minimum standard these days.

16. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    I think that they have most of HBO's other stuff too, but I need another monthly subscription like I need a hole in the head. I might just wait until the first season is finished and then binge it in a month or something like that.

17. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Buy an HBO Max subscription and it might even be cheaper with the currency conversion. ~$16.00 gets you 4K, you'd just have to access it via VPN. I've done it from the UK, though, when traveling, and it seems to work with minimal loss.

18. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I will not be watching. I allowed Dan and Dave and HBO to break my heart once. Never again.

19. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    D&D are not involved. IIRC, according to D&D themselves HBO gave them a lot of freedom with S8. So, for once, I blame the artists instead of the corporation. And it's not like HBO are unaware of the shitfest that was audience reception of S8. And they got Ramin Djawadi back to score HotD.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
  20. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I just can’t trust HBO with regard to this series anymore. When the run ends, I will watch it if I hear that it didn’t suffer the same fate as GOT.