1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How is sex socially treated in the magical world?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Download, Feb 26, 2019.

1. gamarad

gamarad Fourth Year

I mean something like a magical artifact that's tied to a family line so that it can only be used by that family. The legitimacy test part would be a side effect. I don't remember something like that in canon but it seems like something that could have been there.

2. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I propose that due to the traditional motivations of sexual exclusivity (paternity, pregnancy, religion, STI's) presumably not being a problem in wizarding society. Cultural attitudes towards sexuality are markedly different to historical British mores.

In fact such is the disconnect between sex and its traditional consequences, their attitude is much like the Trobriand Islands who have a culture that does not equate sex and pregnancy at all (possibly due to a diet of contraceptive yams.) Therefore virginity is not prized all, the first year purebloods are happily screwing eachother, premarital and extramarital sex is totally acceptable and sexual jealousy is nonexistent.

In short all those freaky lemon-heavy stories where everyone is screwing everyone else and 11 year old Harry amasses a multigenerational haram... Well they have an anthropological basis and we have been terribly judgemental this entire time.

3. Dubious Destiny

Dubious Destiny Seventh Year

Black Family tree tapestry?

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    At the risk of being controversial, the difference between men and women when it comes to violence is not just that men are physically stronger. Men are also more aggressive, being more inclined to take risks and seek out conflict for the satisfaction of being the top dog. Wizards therefore probably have a greater interest in martial magic than witches on average.

There are other gendered qualities which also produce inequality which the existence of magic does not eliminate. For example, men tend to over-estimate their own competence more than women, which results in them asserting leadership more often, all other things being equal. And generally, the person who takes the initiative to seize leadership keeps that role.

And then there are even more basic differences, like that fact that humans are hard wired to find deeper voices more authoritative and persuasive.

So I suspect that even in the wizarding world, where men and women have equal arms, there would be a certain level of historic inequality brought about by men's more martial attitude and higher likelihood to take it upon themselves to take the reins of leadership. Given that a woman leader in the 1700s was notable, not the historical norm since time began, this seems to have at least some canon backing. This inequality would continue in the present day via a preponderance of men in high-risk professions such as Aurors.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  5. Sorrows

There is a biological basis to the idea that young men are more aggressive than women. Though I posit when your aggression is limited to pointing a stick and shouting words. The tendency towards violence may be far more equal than it is in more physically aggressive forms. To stereotype: I find women excel at pointing and shouting nasty things at people and tend to exceed men in pure viciousness.

Equally while there is no magical military as far as we see. Without the historical barring of women from certain dangrous professions the gender balance in something like the aurors could be far more equal. Particularly as the physical gender imbalances are negated due to magic and we have yet so see a professional which heavily features magical combat as a core duty. (Aurors in the time of Gindalwald/Voldemort appear to be an abnormally.)

The idea men overestimate their own competence and therefore push for leadership roles is unlikely to be an innate trait. Its very common in the modern world, but in the few matriarchal societies that still exist you find those same assumptions and social mechanisms reversed.

In a world where the mechanisms of sexual inequality in the workplace and in society are non existent (or at least extremely reduced and have been for 1000 years) the social and emotional dynamics/baggage that produce this effect in modern society and within the psyche of individual women would not exist.

6. Niez

Niez Competition Winner CHAMPION ⭐⭐

Well this conversation has a real risk of devolving into something it should not, but I think the main point me, Taure and others were trying to make is that gender imbalances are not only due to historical power imbalances, and so that a wizarding society in which men and women behaved interchangeably (even in something as banal as attitudes to casual sex) would not be very realistic.

7. Sorrows

Innate vs social gendered traits is an ongoing field of study albeit one that has largely headed in one direction. In all honesty, considering that magical Britain still has many of the trappings of muggle British culture, it can be assumed that there is a large amount of cultural osmosis going on even if the two worlds are superficially separate.

Historical and present cultual attitudes towards sex and gender roles are bound to seep in with everything else, even if the effect is countered by a lack of Christianity, educational equality and early female emancipation/freedom all assisting egalitarian attitudes towards equality. Hence why they appear to be roughly in line with modern (or at least 90s) norms and haven't evolved beyond that.

Beyond that JK went to some lengths to make it apparent that the wizarding world only has one form of discrimination.

But that's boring. I still prefer my yam theory. Down with logic. Bring out the lemons.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  8. Scarat

Scarat Fourth Year

High Score:
    Since Wizards and Witches are physically different from Muggles, I'm going to go ahead and say that I like the interpretation that Wizards and Witches have reduced sex drives due their magical nature. It's why the professors are so lenient when it comes to socialization at Hogwarts and why the population never booms. Thus, while sex is accepted as a normal thing, it is only engaged with in privacy, because it's not such a major part of their lives, relationships, and physical needs.

Honestly, I just hate sex in my fiction unless I'm specifically in the mood for it, so tend towards this interpretation.

9. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

Even with your tongue in your cheek, you've got a point. It's only agricultural and herding societies that obsess over paternity. When the father doesn't have some extra-genetic asset he's trying to pass to his offspring, human's don't seem to care.

A wizard only really needs his wand. And Neville showed us that handling your father's wand just . . . isn't a very magical experience.

A social-science reading of Harry Potter definitely supports lots of lemons.

10. Affably-Evil

Affably-Evil Muggle

Nope I'm pretty sure that women who sleep with lots of men would in fact still be called sluts or other derogatory terms, having women in places of power would only reinforce that tendency rather than lessen it. It isn't something that can simply and easily be put down to men, I'd even go so far as to say that most of the social consequences of such behavior are enforced by other women.

I've seen a lot of men who don't respect promiscuous women, but usually the people who go out of their way to ostracize and destroy promiscuous women are other women.

Any woman in leadership position seen(or perceived) to be promoting such behavior would promptly be torn to shreds(socially) by other women.