1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How to Design a LitRPG System

Discussion in 'Original Fiction Discussion' started by BTT, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's the most progression evident type of story in the Progression Fantasy subgenre. What can I say? I like numbers going up.

2. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't think I've ever had a more satisfying reader experience than when an author lays out a problem for the protag to overcome (take Ched's example for instance), and the protag then proceeds to power game the solution in the way i was thinking as the problem was being laid out.

It's all about that satisfaction.

3. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Well, I'm about to give this a shot. Find a LitRPG/Gamer fiction of ASOIAF from an author who's previous work I enjoyed. Let's see how it goes :p

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Hope it works out!

For what it’s worth I typically prefer original fic to fanfic for LitRPG mechanics.

5. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Anyone have any suggestion of good quality LitRPG? I'm more into the HP, ASOIAF, Marvel Movie-verse genre, but I'm open to new fandom as well.

6. Ched

The most recommended one is probably Seaborn. It has reasonable quality writing for free fiction but I personally feel it's jumped the shark lately.

There are two that I like enough to donate $1 per month and those are Randidly Ghosthound and Defiance of the Fall. Both start out with fairly shit writing and only marginally improve but I find them engaging as fuck. I don't get anything for the $1 (that I know of) it's more of a thank you for writing. I get that good old endorphin rush when they update and it's time to read - one day I'll figure out WHY I like these so much when they are not all that great.

Others that are recommended and generally thought decently well of can be found in Original Fiction.

It's not quite a LitRPG but I enjoyed the free chapters of Street Cultivation enough to drop $3 on the Kindle edition and didn't regret it. It's not quite a LitRPG though, even if it hit very similar buttons for me while reading.

7. Gengar

High Score:
    This sums up so much of the genre it's not even funny.

8. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

So I've been spending a few days coming up with a LitRPG System, based on stuff that's been discussed here as well as on Discord. Here's what I have so far:

1) There are three main stats / attributes - Physical / Mental / Social. These exist on a 7-point scale, so earning even a single point in a stat could be the work of years. For some context, everyone starts off with 1 point in each, someone who's dedicated a whole lot of time in one field (such as an athelete) might hit Physical 2, or if they're an Olympic-Tier / World Record setting kinda persona, could even go up to Physical 3.

Anything above 3 and we get into quasi-mythic levels, which are locked.

(Corollary to above, there are no levels).

Because these are wide ranging stats, there is naturally some form of sub-stats which exist beneath them but I won't be bothering to layout in any detail. So two people at Physical 2 would not be identical --- one might be faster, the other stronger, the other better at throwing daggers into wooden board.

2) How does one unlock more points past 3? Basically, you have to do something noteworthy. Much like in Danmachi, pushing yourself to the limit lets you level up. It's not strictly a physical encounter here, but the idea is the same.

I'm calling this Cognomen (and the people who have earned one become Known). Cognomen doesn't end there, and you can follow it down certain progressions that will unlock more points (unlock does not mean you've earned them automatically, you still gotta put in the hours).

For example, being say President would unlock points in Social, but not Physical, whereas being a Caesar might unlock points in both Social and Physical. So it's very important what Cognomen you earn.

3) The points in Stats open up skill slots for you for the relevant stat.

This means that most people will probably have about 4-5 skills unless they earn a Cognomen. To prevent skill bloat, not everything is a skill. There isn't one for running, or swimming, or cooking. Rather, skills are meant to enhance things you've chosen to specialize in, giving an almost magical benefit to make doing that thing better or more efficient in some way (not necessarilly just making it flat out better as is the usual treatment).

Skills are probably combinable, given it gives me some place to go narratively once skill slots are filled up, but it hasn't progressed enough to up a stat.

I am conceptualizing skills as having a more broad feel to them, so something like a fencing skill would be "Have At Thee!". I think this gives one more flexibility with what they can do with that skill.

4) Items also have stats in the same way, and items which are used more have a greater chance to rank up. Thus this emphasizes the importance of keeping your equipment for as long as possible, and the loss of which could be a great setback.

5) No HP, no MP, and basically next to no numbers.

I imagine this results in a rather specialized society.
    Narratively, this also gives one the advantage of not having to show stat tables too often because progress is intentionally much slower.

Skills are thus meant to be the main source of mini progressions here, with stat increases and cognomen coming from significant events within the story.

9. Gengar

High Score:
    I definitely understand not wanting HP. I've been going over in my head for ages what a stab/ shot to the brain is supposed to be in a litrpg, because just doing 'big damage' is stupid.

Maybe your skin becomes harder and lower physical tier beings with shittier weapons don't penetrate (to use your example), but that also gets a bit too close to cultivation stories for me where you might as well not try if they're the next tier up (i also don't like that).

Having said all that, I'm not quite sure you need to eschew MP in the same way. People often try come up with other ways to give magic drawbacks so you just can't spam, but they're often just really inelegant in comparison.

10. Halt

I'm essentially treating magic a bit like pokemon moves or I guess DnD. You can use it x number of times, then you need to go rest.

11. Gengar

High Score:
    That feels a bit arbitrary and maybe too gamey (for my tastes).

Maybe needing reagents to cast spells is a more elegant solution? Serves the same purpose and gets rid of the numbers you want gone.

12. Mordr4d

Mordr4d Second Year

High Score:
    I would get rid of numbers almost completely.

You'd have 6 different stats:
    Strength
    Agility
    Endurance
    Magic
    Luck
    Bloodline Ability - think something like a bloodline from naruto or noble phantasm from fate stay night. Some kind of cheat. And to make it juicy have the protagonist not have one but his enemies would have it. Keep the underdog thing going.

And I'd rank them from F- lowest to E,D,C,B,A and S+ highest. three tiers in each letter F-, F, F+ .This way there is a limit to how strong someone can get. In all gamer fanfics the protagonist levels within a couple of months to a god.

You wouldn't have a level up system. But you would have a quest system in essence. And by quest I mean fighting against strong enemies and overcoming them or solving clues to greater mysteries which the protagonist get's rewarded with skill points(which are rarer!) and artifacts(which are rare).

This would make the protagonist pro active and put him in crazy situations instead of grinding for 90% of the story.

The way the protagonist would level his stats early on is by training really. And not in those stupid game fanfics where they train 5 stats at the same time. But serious workouts with rests training 1 or 2 stats at the same time. Going from F to E would take less time and effort than say going from B to A. The higher he gets the harder and harder and longer it takes. Going from A to S rank would take decades or overcoming crazy odds and achieving enlightment like in a wuxia story .

S+ rank would be the epitome of human. there would be maybe like a handfull of people with multiple stats at S+. And you'd have enemies and century old monsters who are not humans and have reached SS rank or SSS+ rank for instance. This way you keep the power scaling.

With skill points obtained from quests or fighting and winning from dangeorus enmies you can unlock skills that are not easy to attain. This gives them an edge compared to your normal person who has to obtain, study and learn it. And skills can be either passives or abilities. Say a passive like regeneration or waterwalking. Or a ability like fireball or teleportation.

And the skills would also have their own stat tiers on how strong they but they can't be leveled. The only thing that changes is how quicker and less resources it costs to use them if you keep using them.

Say fireball has a cast time and takes 1/2 of your mana pool, if you keep using it and learn the intricaties you may be able to instantly cast it with only using 1/20 of your mana pool.

You would have no HP bars or mana bars.

Powerscale wise F- would be a very frail 12 year old girl. Whereas E+ would be a very fit young woman. D+ would be a very fit young man. And C+ would be the greatest athletes. B rank is where you start going into supernatural terrotory. And A+ is pretty much the best of the best and hitting S- rank can take decades.

Of course you'd have all kinds of shortcuts with artifacts and intrinsic op bloodlines to spice stuff up.

13. Halt

14. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I would look at how Burning Wheel handles practice time and skill progression. It's very very slow to practice, but realistic.

15. Ched

Is there a story called this as well or are you referring to the tabletop rules ?

16. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

The tabletop rules.