1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HP and the Island of Death by The 18th Angel - BR - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by ip82, Jan 22, 2006.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: Harry Potter and the Island of Death
    Author: The 18th Angel
    Rating: M
    Genre: Suspense/Tragedy
    Pairings: None
    Summary: (Formerly Harry Potter and the Killing Game) The Hogwarts Sixth Years find themselves trapped in the deadliest of games. Forty Players, Three Days, One Rule... Kill or Be Killed (Battle Royale Crossover)
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1707039/1/

This is a crossover with a japanese book -> manga -> movie called Battle Royale. I'm sure many of you manga/anime fans have heard of it, but for those who didn't (like myself), here's the summary:

Militaristic Japanese goverment is so dissapointed with the new generations, that they take one whole class of kids from a school and make a lesson out of them - stuck them on an island and force them to keep killing each other until there's only one left. Something like the Running Man movie, only in eastern version.

So, as you can see, this whole idea is completely Japanese in it's root (fear of militarism returning, conflict of new westernized generations with their traditional parents, etc...) but some smartass figured it would be fun to make a crossover of this with typically western setting, like HP.

So how does it holding up? Poorly, I'd say.

The basic plot, that's even in the eastern version barely holding water, here simply don't make any sense whatsoever. Fudge deciding to start Battle Royale (that is supposed to be covered by TV networks!?) and taking kids (+Harry) away under Dumbledore's nose (who calmly accepts it!?). Pureblood Wizengamot sending their heirs to death? Wizards using muggle weapons? Hello, Earth calling? Anyone!?

Even if we forget completely surreal plot, there's that whole deal with muggle weapons. I mean, wouldn't it been better if they gave them their wands and handed out additional artifacts like dark art books and stuff? HP with muggle weapons simply isn't HP anymore.

So, any good sides? Sure, writting stlye is rather good, actually. And there is some sort of sick satisfaction in reading about all the familiar characters getting killed in most imaginitive ways.

Eh, I guess I don't really know what to think about this shit. I'm well aware it's crap, but at the same time, some sick curiosity is urging me to read on just to take a glimpse at who will die next. Is it worth it? Eh, I guess... judge by yourself.

2. Zero

Zero Seventh Year

Pity it doesn't do justice to a great film.

3. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Rofl. Why isnt this in the unrecomended stories... you had like nothing good to say about it, lol.

4. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Nice and gory movie:D

the manga was pointless though

5. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I can see how some people might like it... and it's written pretty well...

6. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

There is another like this. All on an island to fight against each other. It was magical too, no muggle weapons. Harry had never been to Hogwarts and was some feared dude too like Voldemort is but not evil. Hogwarts students as well as Harry and 16 year old Tom Riddle are sent to the island to battle. Kinda stupid but yeah... seen it done before. It stopped after the first chapter though...

7. Zero

Zero Seventh Year

Yeah i've seen that one too, it was pretty kickass but it's abadoned.

8. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I remember reading this a while ago...

Honestly, I personally wouldn't mind a 100% lethal "Battle Royale" with my classmates, because I would win :)

9. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    Really, it would have been a lot better to take the underlying theme of BR, the kill or be killed mentality rather than just make a direct copy of the storyline itself, which doesn't make any sense for HP. Aw well...

10. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Amusing, but not the greatest story. Muggle weapons don't work as well as Wizarding ones would have in this case.

11. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

TIME OUT!! ... I watched like 10 minutes of a battle royale anime... i HOPE to every god and goddess this ISNT a crossover with THAT! ... there was a LOT of scat and other discusting fetishes in that and i do believe even non-con sex..was pirates training sexslaves i believe

12. SoulesS

SoulesS First Year

LOL! I don't think so, the fic is based in the movies.

Goes to watch the anime that Vash recommended =p

13. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Most of the people in this thread didn't even read the story.

From what I skimmed of the first and last chapter, it's not even close to being finished. It hasn't been updated in five years.

It also has a fail-laden premise. I consider this a good candidate for re-review and deletion.

14. Scrittore

Scrittore Groundskeeper

First off, this story is abandoned and eight chapters long. The only reason I'm willing to go through all eight chapters is that it is well-written.

The first chapter is ridiculous. I'd go into more detail but my head would spin.

The second chapter, what the fuck. What a horrible premise to even get them on the island. Fudge just admitted Voldemort was back, so obviously it would be stupid to go, and kill off a whole class of students who were going to fight in this war. Also, taking away their wands is a poor excuse to have them kill one another with muggle weapons.

I also notice this story is similar to the movie The Condemned, which also was crap.

Third chapter, the killings finally begin really and Neville almost dies if not for a Vest.

Fourth Chapter, two students kill each other to begin with along with Ron almost dying.

Fifth Chapter, no killings.

Sixth Chapter, a Gryffindor (Victoria) kills two Slytherins (Blaise and Millie). Theo tries to rape Hannah but fails because he gets shot by Ernie.

Seventh Chapter, Ron and Padma meet up with a couple others. Vincent Crabbe goes insane. Neville kills a off his rocker Hufflepuff too.

Eighth Chapter, Victoria kills Tracey. Draco then kills an OC Slytherin, and that's where this story ends.

To be honest, the fact this story was well-written is the only thing really saving it from a 1/5. It's abandoned, and it just seems like a poorly plotted excuse to kill off Harry Potter characters. That's why this story gets a 2/5 from me. Definitely not Library or Recycle Bin Worthy.