1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HP/Death Gate Cycle crossover

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by garion1500, Sep 19, 2006.

1. garion1500

garion1500 Third Year

This popped into my head and I'd thought I'd share.

Has anyone read the Death Gate Cycle? I read it a long time ago and it occured to me that a Patryn!Harry would make a very cool character.

For those who never read it, the basic premise is that magic was unleashed upon their world and there arose a high council of powerful magic users call the Sartan. They used a form of voice and dance movements to work their magic. Eventually a rebellion was started by another group that called themselves the Patryns who essentially used interconnected rune structures to create their magic, going so far as to tattoo them magically onto their bodies for offense and defense. The battle between them was so great the world was sundered into four parts and the only way to reach each of the worlds was through a 'wormhole' call Death Gates. The Sartan created a fifth miniature world and placed the Patryns into a massive prison there called the Labyrinth and then seemingly vanished. Over the centuries the Labyrinth became sentient and malevolent towards its prisoners and the entire structure became a terrible landscape filled with viscious creatures. The few hundred that emerged from the Labyrinth so far were very powerful, very resourceful, very grim wizards. There's much more to the story then that but that is the basis for my idea.

In the book series the Patryns that have escaped are led by an ancient and powerful wizard named Xar who was the first to escape. He dreams of a future in which he, and the Patryns, rule the four sundered worlds.

Now, imagine Harry to be one of the Patryns that escaped with Xar. Imagine that he is sent on a mission to find out more about these worlds but somehow in transit through a Death Gate lands in the HP verse and finds the wizarding world and finds it ripe for Xar's exploitation and control.

Thoughts anyone?

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Dark!Harry that comes from some sort of Death Maze, could be very cool. Though I think it would be better if HP!Harry was sent into the maze when he killed Voldemort, like a last ditch attempt to get rid of him forever. Zoom forward a few years and he escapes and comes back with Xar and his new best buddies. And then there was War.

3. garion1500

garion1500 Third Year

That's also another possibility, though it would be a bit difficult to get him there considering it would be a different reality of sorts. However, combine the magic harry knows now with the powerful rune magic of the Patryns and he could kick ass. Plus the survival training in the Labyrinth would help. Harry would basically come back with an army of Navy SEAL's with magic at his back.

Or Harry could train with the Patryns to get rid of Voldemort. Hehehe. I almost feel sorry for snake-face.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You could always use the same cliche for sending him to another reality of some uber spell that was invented a million billion years ago by these really smart people who invented better spells than could ever be made again, cause they were perfect n stuff.

/sarcasm

If you don't wanna do that you could always have the huge amount of magic used in the Final Battle cause a rip in the fabric of time and space and have Harry fall through it... Maybe even have Voldemort go with him, with some of the Patryns joining Harry and some joining Voldemort. Otherwise the idea in my last post could be used with Voldie dying.

5. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

This could be a really simple crssover to start. What about the Veil in the DOM? Start from Siruis falling and have Remus be unable to restrain Harry. It could be a portal to the start of the Labyrinth, Gate 1. It's been forever since I read through the death gate cycle but I seem to recall only two people have survived the entire labyrinth from gate 1 to the end. Most people lived their entire lives trapped in the hellish landscape.

Still if he could escape the labyrinth and learn the magic of the Patryns and Sartans and the secrets of the four worlds he could be a kick ass fighter when he returns. Also who can tell how time works when travelling dimensions. He might live decades in the other worlds and return to kick Volde's ass after a few months. That would totally screw any chance of any canon girls except maybe Tonks.

Also it would be fun if someone else killed Volde while he was gone. Albus has a shit fit over the prophecy, but after finally hearing it, Harry reveals the Dark Lord he was destined to kill was on the Death Gate universe. Wand magic of course if the power he knows not. No clue how we would interpret born of those who thrice defied him, unless it meant he was tutored by Sartans who constantly opposed him. Then of course it's all metaphorical.

6. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

The whole idea is quite interesting.
    I see one problem with it. Why would kickass!/dark!/evil!/insane!/megalomaniac! (your choice) Harry want to share with some dude that name sound like something pulled out of Baldur's Gate (yeah, I know it was Xan, but it sounds familliar).

And have an over-reacting old prankster knowing powerful magic? Don't get me wrong. i like Sirius character but IMO in dark!Harry stories he should be dead.

7. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

That is if Sirius survives the Labyrinth, which he did not mention so I assume he doesn't.

8. garion1500

garion1500 Third Year

Franki: Put simply, Xar is not just somebody Harry would meet. Xar is a very influential and powerful figure in the Labyrinth. He was the first to escape and goes back regularly to help others escape. So all other Patryns serve and follow him as their lord. He's extremely wise and powerful. I see Harry managing to somehow make it through the labyrinth (with a lot of help) and have Xar help him make it to the final exit. Harry would basically become another of Xar's followers and would help him take over the wizarding world, or wherever he wants to conquer. It would be hard for Harry to decline since he would basically owe Xar a Life Debt.

9. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'll admit to never having read the stories but from what I have read here, ill put forward this little idea.

Why not make it a two story set? The first story revolving around Harry in the Lab. and the second being about him returning. During his time in the Lab, he makes allies and such stuff. Manages to make it out withOUT Xar's help and this causes a sort of stir in the political system of everything. Maybe 1 in every 100 people turn from Xar to Harry.

which leads into a possible second and third story. Harry returns to Earth Prime to conquer it and build an army with the intention of overthrowing the more powerful Xar. The possible arc being Harry's return to the five worlds to defeat Xar and conquer them.

This is, of course, a dark!harry story.

There are other arcs for light and such.

10. garion1500

garion1500 Third Year

Vash: Interesting ideas. The Lab story would interest a lot of people because of the almost constant fighting and survival trials that go on there. It would be a bit difficult for me to write them though. I lost the books a year or two ago and so I don't have all the "research" materials I would need for the characters and places. And I'm also in the middle of a fic which will take a while to write. I'd love to see someone else take this on though.

11. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I like Vash's ideas. I havnt read the books either, but it sounds interesting.

12. Kung_lou

Kung_lou Sixth Year

I read this series a while ago too, so when I saw this thread I thought cool, that would be a compatable universe. Some of the magics and themes would mesh well with a dark Harry crossover. One book in particular would make an awesome Necromancer Harry fic.

From memory though, when all four worlds sundered they each evolved into their own society leaving plenty of potential insertion points

13. Antivash

One word dude. Wikipedia. And if you've got broadband, ive got books 1-7 (all of them) on my HD in Audiobook format... pretty good books, really. Been listening to them.

Wiki on Death Gate

14. garion1500

garion1500 Third Year

Vash: Actually I did look it up on Wiki. It had some good overviews and such but not much in the way of characters and how they acted, i.e the relationship between Haplo and Xar, dragon snakes, Alfred, etc.

Audiobook? Cool. :) What program do you use to listen to them?

15. Antivash

They're MP3 form so any player will play them.