1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HP fandom without the movies?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrela, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Consider for a moment the hypothetical world where the Harry Potter series was never turned into movies.

In said world, the books are still very successful but for one reason or another they simply are never adapted into movies or anything similar.

The story remains in written form.

How would the fandom be affected? In fact, would the content of the books themselves be slightly (or more) changed?

After all, the first movie was made in 2001 and the last book was published in 2007, surely the possibility of the movies influencing Jo isn't too far fetched.

How would fanfiction be changed? What cliches might develop in the place of the ones currently existing?

Would Draco Malfoy and Severus Snape still have so many fangirls? I personally doubt it, but you never know.

Finally, how does your experience with HP change in this hypothetical? For me, I read the Chamber of Secrets first and then saw the movies later so I would still read the series without a doubt.

EDIT: On second thought, this perhaps should have been posted in FanFic discussion, if the mods think so as well please move it.

2. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Nobody would equate Granger with Watson, she'd be an ugly know-it-all and that'd be the end of it.

3. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

Less abused harry fics

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh, my mental image of Hermione is nothing like Emma Watson but still hot.

5. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah I always imagined her with actual tits.

Probably no pixie haircut!Hermione. No calmly yelling Dumbledore. And probably less Snape slash.

6. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

The community would be a hell of a lot smaller. There would be less of everything.

7. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In short, it'd be better. ;)

8. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Same here. My mental images of the characters are tied to the books, with a healthy dose of the illustrations heading the chapters in the US hardbacks (not sure if they're in other versions.)

For example, I picture the characters pretty close to this:

Snape

Harry, Ron, Hermione (Harry and Hermione are very close, Ron is a little different in my head - more gangly, scruffy, broad-shouldered) Another version.

Umbridge

Luna

Hagrid

Dumbledore

Dursleys (although I don't know wtf is going on with Petunia in that sketch; the others are close though)

Voldemort (I picture him like this a lot, even though the books don't describe him this way and I know it's wrong.)

Ginny

Lily Potter

Anyway... I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but the movies have very little bearing on how I picture the characters in my head. I did watch them, but it was later, and I read the series many, many times.

To the broader issue:

I think we'd see far less Dumbledore bashing. The way the movies portrayed Dumbledore gave him a certain edge that he really didn't have in the books. He lost a bit of whimsy and grace under fire and gained a bit of Gandalf - who had kind of a temper, when it really came down to it. So you get stuff like this:

http://cdn.slowrobot.com/4212013014012.gif

9. ihateseatbelts

ihateseatbelts Seventh Year

Seconded. My mental images of the characters have changed a lot over the years, but they've never been that close to the films. Dunno if you guys have ever heard of makani who had that Accio Brain page (she's a wicked animation artist) but her illustrations really struck a chord with my initial visualisations. So much so, I can't not picture HP characters outside of her style these days (save from Harry's hair colour and Hermione's being frizzy as Fawkes but I digress)

Accio Brain: Harry Potter Re-Design

Otherwise, I think the fanon perceptions of Harry, Ron and Hermione's characters would be far more balanced. Harry the Blushing Eunuch, Ron the Death Eater, Hermione the Charlie's Angel... all would be significantly less popular. Draco would still have his fans, but they would be cognizant of his douchebaggery at large.

Oh - and the saris/Muggle dresses would likely not be a thing in fics. Chiton-like robes, maybe... but that's just my headcanon.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  10. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

Kingsley looks boss and luna a man

11. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    Agree, KIngsley looks awesome, Hagrid looks like I imagined, and the quidditch Ginny looks cute, not like that piece of flesh they put in to the movie.

12. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

I was gonna say... Kingsley and Flitwick both look awesome. Straight to headcanon. Can't say I care much for that Hermione, though.

13. Dellez

Dellez Seventh Year

No one would name Hermione's parents Dan and Emma. Might be worth it.

14. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

Never seen more than the first movie. Today my sister watched Deathly Hallows Part 1 again, and I saw the beginning. When they showed Bill Nighy as Scrimgeour I left. It's just wrong.

15. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I've only seen about half of the movies, and I don't think they had much effect on me. The movies were mediocre in general (in my opinion), the characters didn't match how I envisioned them, the locations didn't match, a lot of things changed, etc.

I can see how they'd be enjoyable as adaptions, but I never mentally considered the movies to be 'canon' given all the things that either changed or just didn't seem to match what was in my head. More like visual fanfiction in how I personally categorized them.

The movies didn't shape how I view characters or events very much if at all. McGonagall's actor more or less matches how I envisioned her in terms of looks and attitude, but she's the only one coming to mind.

I'm trying to think of anything I saw in the first five movies that I appropriated into how I envisioned the books and/or overall story. The Quidditch World Cup stadium (the stadium itself mind you, and the player intros, not the entire section of movie) was more impressive than I envisioned it while reading, which felt right. I was envisioning more 'college football game' than 'super bowl' before that.

...TBH, I think Harry Potter would have worked much better as a high quality animated series. Something like Avatar: The Last Airbender.

16. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    High budget Miniseries is the best idea. Cartoon is still something they could do well. And all the movies did was make me annoyed by the movies.

17. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't actually dislike them. Despite their problems, a lot of talent went into them and they're enjoyable enough in their own right. I was planning on re-watching them all at some point, I haven't seen the first three in years and I don't think I've ever seen the fourth in one sitting.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  18. ihateseatbelts

ihateseatbelts Seventh Year

They're not that bad, agreed. It's just the fact that they hold so much sway - sometimes more than the books.

One conversation I never would have had happened during my first year of uni, a few months after HBP was released. My flatmate wouldn't stop gushing over Draco and his irresistable vulnerable-ble-ness while he was bleeding on the floor... never mind the fact that he cast the Cruciatus Curse in canon.

19. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    To me the most annoying was that they left out entire plotlines. And also the annoying scene changes. One movie Hogwarts is on a flat hill and the other on rocky mountain side.

20. The Crippled God

The Crippled God Squib

Firstly, it would be a significantly smaller community, and in my opinion, a better community for it.

Secondly, perceptions of characters in fanfics would be significantly different. For example, there would be far fewer small minded fangirls drooling over Snape and Draco without the appeal of Alan Rickman and Tom Felton attached to them.