1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

HP Fanfiction Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Stan, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Stan

Stan Order Member

Ajarntham (the author of An Interview with Justin FinchFletchley) has this on his fanfiction.net profile page :

It is a nice collection of early stories that were both good and influential. I haven't read all of them, but I certainly agree with quite a few. I would also add:

Melindaleo's The Seventh Horcrux : Was rumored to be a leaked version of DH. Brought a lot of new people into the fandom.

Anya's Naked Quidditch Match : The Original Humor Fic

Sepent Sorcerer's A Stranger in an Unholy Land : One of the best early adventure stories.

Cygnus Crux's Harry Potter's Existence after Life : One of the first stories to expand the Wizarding World outside of Britain.

Vridian's Nightmares of the Future's Past : One of the earliest redos, arguably the most popular story in the fandom over the last decade and good for its time.

Nonjon's A Black Comedy : DLP's most popular story. Defined Fanon Sirius, for better or for worse.

Cassandra Clare's Draco Trilogy : Defined "Leather Pants" Draco, definitely for the worse.

Rosswrock's The Power of Time : Popularized the million indy!Harry cliches popular even today.

Any more suggestions?

2. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Library.

3. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Nah. The Library is like the Major Leagues. A Hall of Fame would have to be way more select.

4. Stan

Stan Order Member

Huh. Just noticed that Ajarntham was nominating authors while I was nominating stories. Oh well, the same authors work just as well, I suppose.

I am going more for influence rather the "best of the best" sort of thing. I personally never really cared for Power of Time, but it has spawned so many stories with similar ideas that I had to include it.

5. Eagle

Eagle Temporarily Banhammered

Equal and Opposite by Amerision
    Temptations of a Dark Soul by Amerision
    The Lie I've Lived by jbern
    What Lies Beneath by Master Slytherin
    Yin and Yang by IP82
    Antithesis by Water Mage
    The Dimension Shift by Dream Red
    Apprentice Potter, Journeyman Potter, Master Potter by Draco664
    Lost Time by Amerision
    Ruin by Master Slytherin
    Control by Anonymous58
    The Chimera: More Snake than Lion by Apocalypso-33
    Cosa Nostra by I Nightfox I
    Harry Potter and the Greater Good by Blank402
    The Redemption of the Black Sisters by jon3776
    Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness by Thanfiction
    Harry Potter and the Litany of Blood by jon3776
    Fury of the Hellspawn by apocalypso
    The Strangergod by Andro

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  6. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I've only read 2 of those out of the list in the first post. The Grey Maiden series is awful, even the rewrite is terrible. Greengecko's R trilogy is in the library here, and is pretty decent - it was one of the first epic length fics I ever read 5+ years ago, and I reread it about 6 months ago and it was still good. Probably the only "severitus" fic that I would rate at 3+ stars. If it hadn't been bogged down by the severitus stuff it would have been 5 stars, so there is that. It's got some truly epic scenes in the middle, and has some harry/tonks to boot.

7. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My nominees:

Mizuni-sama for the Prince (duh),

Swimdraconian for Circular Reasoning (double duh),

Silens Cursor for Renegade Cause, though his other stuff is also good,

Ruskbyte for Evil Be Thou My Good and sequel.

8. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

It's weird no one has mentioned Santi's BWL- but I think that'd definitely be in the Hall of Fame. Based off of your criteria, I'd say Methods of Rationality would too (despite my and most of DLP's loathing of it).

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Presumably there's a difference between "The Best HP Fics Ever" and "The HP Hall of Fame", where the latter is a kind of recognition of a fic's importance/influence at the time that it was written, even if we think it's shit.

With that in mind, I'd nominate:

The Power of Time by Rosswrock
    The Scorpion Sorcerer by Volorn666

Together, these two fics originate basically all the tropes of the indy!Harry goblin!friend summer!training dimensional!trunk friend!bashing genre. I may hate the genre, but you can't deny that it's huge.

10. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Which fic started the Peggy Sue genre in HP? Nightmares of Future Past or something else?

11. MoltenCheese

MoltenCheese Seventh Year

joe6991's Harry Potter and the Wastelands of Time.

12. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

Santi and The Boy Who Lived

Hmm... I remember a series made by someone featuring Harry and Voldemort being brothers, Voldemort slowly being influenced by Grindelwald but I think it got taken down after the Author got hacked.

It was a brilliant read though.

Sesc's Noir's are amazing as well, definite contender.

13. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

'Harry Potter and the Nightmares of Futures Past', probably.

14. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Think you need to expand more on what it takes to get into the Hall of Fame.

For instance if your asking for popularity, sure the Santis fic would be in there. If your asking for what started a craze etc... Santi didn't start shit. It's great and I love it, but no it's not one of the original influential fics, it's just a great fic that came later. WBL and different school fics were around long before Santi came into the picture. Blew those fics out of the water sure, but not one of the original influential fics.

Definitely would agree with the Scorpion Sorcerer, didn't that start a Indy craze. Loved it back in the day.

15. Stan

Stan Order Member

I think influence and popularity should be the criteria, and it should have been at least decent for its time. Fanfiction classics, so as to speak. Just popularity is meh, nobody wants Partially Kissed Hero in their Hall of Fame. And everyone has their own "Best of the Best" lists that are hard to agree upon (not to mention there are several threads about it already), but it is easier to agree upon a list of classic stories.

(I think Ajarntham was just nominating his favorite fanfics, many of which -- Barb's Trilogy, After the End, LavenderBrown's Ron/Hermione stories and Lori's and St Margaret's fanfics just happened to be classics. Works either way.)

Does Santi's Boy Who Lived qualify as a fandom classic? It is the Twin-Who-Lived fanfic, and it was one of the first of its genre which didn't have abusive parents, an arrogant brother and manipulative Dumbledore, so you can definitely make a case for it, even if it wasn't particularly influential.

MoR introduced quite a few new readers to the fandom, gave fanfiction some media coverage and is largely readable so you can argue for it as well.

Grey Maiden.... I would have to say no. I liked it when I first read it (excepting the first book which had an annoying amount of angst and Harry following Hermione like a lost puppy), but Dethryl's Slytherin!Harry series (They Shook Hands) came earlier and is a much better contender. On the way to Greatness is generally considered the zenith of the Slytherin!Harry genre, so it is a slightly better contender as well, though it wasn't particularly influential.

16. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

Grey Maiden tries to be too much like LightningOnTheWave's Sacrifices Arc - it's highly noticeable. On that note, as much of a mixed reception as it receives, I do think the Sacrifices Arc should probably be on the list.

17. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Just on the topic of The Power of Time by RossWrock, what is the published date showing for you guys? 1970 to me apparently >.> Must be a seer since that was way before the books were even realised. And you know, the internet.

18. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

The author must have used the power of time.

Yes I know that was incredibly lame.

19. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

I'll second the Sacrifices septology. I couldn't finish it, but I do recognize its contributiosn to the fandom and the quality of it.

20. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fanfiction.net calculates publish and update dates by measuring time since the unix epoch. Evidently something got bugged, since Jan 1 1970 is the unix epoch and it must have defaulted to it.