1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas with terrible execution?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Jamven, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

I think it is safe to say that we have all read a fic or three that have had a cool or different idea that was presented, but failed in the delivery. Or were just a throw away idea in the grand scheme of things.

I'll start with this one...

As a history buff, I found the idea of Dementors being the cause of the disappearance of the Roanoke Colony intriguing. This idea, as presented in this fic (chapter 8 ), was used as a way to transfer powers to Harry and the chick he has a soul bond with.

I wouldn't recommend reading the fic linked, it's probably on the lower end of the barely readable spectrum

2. naidrodro

naidrodro Fourth Year

I really liked the idea behind this fic, at least as far as Harry's attitude and complete lack of emotion. Unfortunately within two chapters it goes from "good idea, lets see where it goes" to "my eyes are bleeding."
    But then again, I am quite partial to psychopath!Harry.

3. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Does Partially Kissed Hero count?

4. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

It is a veritable cornucopia of new ideas and new ways of looking at old ideas.

In short: Yes.

5. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    While we're on Perfect Lionheart, I thought Chuunin Exam Day was a new idea to fanfiction that coulda been done pretty well. But we all saw it go wrong once he started jerking off to it.

Or do the makers of Groundhog Day get kudos for that? Either way, I want a HP version by a decent author. Maybe not new, but new-ish, and definitely terrible.

6. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Gun fics, DA fics.

7. Blood Jacket

Blood Jacket First Year

In that place where you hid that thing that time.
    What about Comic Book crossovers? The initial idea seems cool in one way or another, and some fics start out kinda cool, but they usually fail in the end, and that's if they get there. Kinda like this one.

8. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

I thought that the premise of The Pureblood Conspiracy had some potential, but the story itself falls into all the worst Independent!Harry wholes and generally isn't worth DLP's time at all.

9. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I say slash/femslash in general, as well as the Azkaban stories out there. DBZ crossovers for the most part fail pretty hard too. Knightblazer's stories for instance, would be better if he didn't have so many fucking errors in his stories.

Oh, and of course the Ginny factor is pretty much fail too, in most stories.

10. Mutt

Mutt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Fics where Harry switches sides always intrigue me, but the authors either don't even posses the writing abilities of a penguin when it comes to grammar and syntax, or they can't come up with a logical reason for Harry to do a moral one-eighty. And no, I don't count "Everyone's lyin', spyin', and stealin' yo monies" as a reason.
    It pisses me off when a writer comes up with a cool idea just to mutilate it by having Harry shack up with Lucius or Voldemort as well. :p
    Here's a good example of this: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3899261/1/Necromancers_Anonymous
    The story is freakin' amazing, dark and hilarious. The only downside to it is that the author stated in a note that he's going to end up with Voldemort.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  11. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Yeah...slash fanfics. lol Exactly what I said above, too; slash. Ruins good stories by shitty ass authors.

12. Mutt

Oh, yeah. My bad. I did just kind of steal your post. Didn't see it. *Grins sheepishly*

13. Matian

Matian Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I kind of liked the idea behind some of Damon Blade's stories:

Wolf
    The idea of Harry mistakenly turning him into a wolf, and then have him regain his humanity could have lead to an extremely deep scene, but Damon Blade failed hard at its execution. That, and he sucks even harder at spelling.

The Rise of the Dragon Lords
    Just found it interesting, probably because I think dragons are cool. Childish, I know. They're still cool, though.

Mage-Alia has some pretty neat ideas too, but she isn't the best updater nor are her stories that great. They're more like guilty pleasures, to be honest.

It's funny, though. The ideas I find the most intriguing are often found in badly executed and written stories.

Agreed. There's nothing more annoying in fanfiction than reading a relatively good story where the main character suddenly decides, he's a flaming homosexual. Surprise buttsex? God, no...

14. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I quite agree. Sometimes there will be a really good story, and with a good plot, with a sounding summary (without the slash warning), and the story turns out to be slash with a lot of murder, mystery, bloodrage, etc; but it's turned into shitty slash by dumb authors. Mostly by teens, no less. And the story would be a lot better without the slash.

15. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

16. Mutt

Partially Kissed Hero by Perfect Lionheart definitely falls into this category. The idea of loosing Voldemort's soul to dementors is a new one, though the actual story is crap. Way too much dialog, and she turns Harry and his minor Harem (Luna and Hermione) into Mary Sues and a Gary Stu. The idea had so much promise, especially the all-of-voldemort's-memories part, but she butchers that as well. I don't really know how the fic is so popular.

17. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Didn't like the idea of Potter family Hope-chest but the execution was fine. Didn't like Valley of the King. Didn't like execution. Most of his stories are dark (insert Harry/Naruto) so you know what you are getting into when you read them. Frankly with all the trash on FFN I find his work interesting. I usually read them when he updates, whenever he gets around to it, and I have a general idea of how the story will be written so I don't get a huge shocker.

His ideas are hard to execute, so I'll give him a lot of leeway. Frankly I know I cannot do better with Potter Family inheritance fics so I don't have the right to criticize his flaws. I still laugh when I read that fic with Cornelius burning Vernon's house.

18. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I quite agree with this. Disobediance has numerous good ideas, but sometimes people just don't execute things all that well. His "Birth Of Evil" I found had very good ideas, some of them a little over the top, IE: Harry being an animagus at age 8 or whatever. His Kings story wasn't all that great either, but with a pretty decent idea.

His story about "The Muggle Mess" I found pretty good, in my honest opinion. He did the death of Albus pretty decently, and quite differently than most other authors would.

One other story, I really liked was "For The Greater Good" (part of the story is currently in my signature). I thought the best part in the whole story was Harry promising Albus he was going to slowly die for all the horseshit he caused. The rest of the story I didn't care for much, really.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  19. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Another example

The basic idea has some potential IMO. Something changes and Harry misses the train, people panic and shit happens. The whole dynamic between everyone could be dramatically altered.

But the execution speaks for itself, expecting anything else from a story with that title and summary would have been optimism of the highest calibre though. A really shoddy take on Mentor!Snape was what killed it for me.

20. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

Could you link the story? I searched FF.net for it, but there are too many stories with that name.