1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

If the Harry Potter characters where muggles what would they do for a living?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter North, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Jesus FruitBatOB, you completely missed the point. Of course Hermione would be different if she wasn't in the magical world. EVERYONE in this case would be different. You can even say that since there are no prophecies in the muggle world, nobody would try to kill Harry and his parents, and he won't be at all the way we know him, a completely different character that we can't predict anything for. The point is to attach muggle lives to characters we know, according to their known characteristics.

2. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Groundskeeper

I would t put Harry as that self sacrificing. Maybe something isn't the MI fields because that would allow him. To excell and demonstrate his own talents while still having that degree of service you are talking about.

3. kreider

kreider Squib

Honestly, if they were set in the muggle world, I would probably see Harry as either a cop (I know, original),social worker, or maybe even an ACLU-type defense lawyer. I mean, if the plot is similar with Sirius, he would be invested in insuring that everyone gets a fair trial.

For Ron, I see him being a professional eater, lol.

Hermione as a humanitarian is good. I could see her working for the UN or a similar organization.

Neville as a botanist is good, and Luna as an artist is good... But I like her as a naturalist, so a research biologist would be good too!

4. hpssomg

hpssomg Squib

High Score:
    Harry - Cop
    Take away his invisibility cloak and his secret map that tells you the location of everyone and would he really be a good spy? His non magical traits are bravery and wanting to protect people.

Hermione - Researcher/Lecturer
    I could see her working in a university setting more than anyway, she has a thirst for knowledge and has been happy to help her class mates with thier work in the past. The charity worker idea is a bit weak, because she's against pureblood supremacy and she doesn't agree with slavery she should spend her life doing charity work? I'm sure a lot of people in the world are against racism and slavery but don't do humanitarian work.

Neville - Nurse
    Don't know how to explain this one, he doesn't seem smart enough to be a doctor but does seem like the type to want to help people.

Sirius - Self employed
    Would likely use his money to own a portfolio of property across the world then pay someone else to maintain it. This would free up his time to do whatever the hell he wanted.

5. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Where the bleeeeep are we getting Auror = cop from? Honestly, can anyone show me one place where an Auror arrests someone? Do they hand out tickets for speeding brooms and not cleaning up after your Hippogriff craps in the middle of Diagon Alley?

If anything, Aurors have a lot closer resemblance to U.S. Marshals. They go after fugitives, draw protection detail for the judiciary, and carry out unique security/enforcement services

That's literally straight from the US Marshal wiki page. So, let's compare this to Aurors:

• Go after fugitives? Check. See Alastor Moody for instance.
    • Draw protection detail? Check. Shacklebolt is seen with Fudge in this role, and even with the Muggle Prime Minister (okay, not judiciary, but still).
    • Unique Security? Check. Tonks, Proudfoot, Savage, and Dawlish were all stationed in Hogsmeade during the second war for extra protection.
    I don't know the British equivalent of US Marshals, but Aurors were most definitely not "cops." They're a hybrid of law enforcement and protection services. In that sense, I can see equating Harry more with the British MI-5 (Not six. Seriously? An international intelligence agent?) in Britain or the US Marshals or even Secret Service. Ron, of course, would be the same.

6. Collinsworth

Collinsworth Third Year

High Score:
    Adding to that, there's the wee little fact that McGonagall pretty much says (if I remember it right) that the Aurors hadn't accepted anyone new since three years prior to OoTP, Tonks being one of the last ones. If they were the police force, they would have a hell of a time taking care of the entire Wizarding Britain by themselves.

7. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    But if the Aurors don't act as the police force....who are the regular police? Or, more likely, the populationof the wizarding Britain is small enough that such issues don't really factor in.

8. Collinsworth

Collinsworth Third Year

High Score:
    That dude Bob Ogden was described as the leader of the Magical Law Enforcement Squad, so probably them. With Aurors as a specialized force to take on harder cases, investigation, protection detail and things like that, and Hitwizards being "muscle" to fuck up and apprehend dangerous criminals. And for some crimes, there are some specialized departments, as both of Arthur's were.

9. raobuntu

raobuntu Seventh Year

High Score:
    Canon hints at Aurors being a selective and elite group. They exclusively feature hunting down/combating Dark Wizards/Creatures, as well as doubling on protection duty. Combine that with the fact that they take three years of training and seem okay with not taking recruits every single year, policeman seems too low-level. The other thing is, Harry's been drawn in by mysteries that are supernatural - even for the magical world. Harry probably does something that's in a small specialized task force in the Home Office.

10. Dasha

Dasha Second Year DLP Supporter

Harry - private investigator. I don't see him being a cop somehow.
    Hermione - prosecuting attorney. She will start out as wanting to be environmental layer, but will switch.
    Ron - I like the idea of him trying to be a soccer player and then joining his brother's business.
    Luna - blogger/podcast host on some weird shit. Paranormal, conspiracy, new age etc. Successful, but not for the reason she thinks she is.
    Draco - cushy place at his dad's company
    Neville - high school biology teacher or veterinarian. I know he is into plants, but I don't see him in academia. Or as a gardener.
    Sirius - managing and living of his inheritance. Playing in a band maybe.
    Dumbledore - Well known humanities professor. Author of famous and influential books. Done lots of charity work.
    Snape - R&D for a pharma company. Or asshole-ish but competent surgeon. Idk why.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  11. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

Right, Arthur mentioned that Willie Widdershin would have been arrested by those guys, since his actions were too trivial to warrant the Aurors.

Anyways, Ron was described as rugby tackling Mundungus in DH IIRC, so obviously he should play rugby.