1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Impact of cursed child and on HP Fanfiction? (Major Spoilers Inside!)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HarrySeverusPotter, Jul 30, 2016.

1. HarrySeverusPotter

HarrySeverusPotter Disappeared

High Score:
    Lots of authors will write fics based on characterizations in the Play. Here are some what happened in the play:
    Albus, Rose, and Scorpius are confirmed to be the new trio. Scorose is now a sure thing (although popular in the fandom for a long time). Scorbus is still a possibility.
    Scorpius is a great guy, Rose is cool, and Albus is decent.
    Hermione without Ron becomes Snape 2.0. Hermione with Ron becomes the MoM and a generally nice person.
    Ginny is very important to Harry, she is pretty much the only person who can confront Harry's stubbornness.
    Draco is fully redeemed. Astoria was a great person.
    Voldemort and Bellatrix had given birth to another psycho named Delphi, who grew up under Rowle's care.
    Cedric's death was 'good riddance', because he would turn out to be one of the most promising death eaters, killing Neville in the process.
    So, who's your take on that?

2. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Huh? From the plot lines I read Albus and Scorpius are cunts who fuck with the time line with zero regard to how it will effect literally everyone alive.

Also Voldmorts child being evil is yet another example of Rowling having people born evil.... The choices you make determine how you are my arse...

3. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I mean, on one hand I agree with you, fuck's sake Rowling you don't have to twist your plot as much as making Voldemort have a kid to have someone plot-twist into being evil.

But on the other hand, it's kind of a double standard to slam Rowling for making the kid evil and just assume she was born this way. Maybe she did make the choices to become so. It feels about as rude and borderline insulting to assume she was born evil than for Rowling to have the sole explanation for her being evil be 'she's Voldemort's child'.

We don't know anything about her afaik. Assuming she's evil because 'she was born evil' is about as stupid as actually having her be 'born' evil, and we don't know if that's the case either way.

Not trying to defend the shitty plot, I'm just saying because I see this a lot.

4. Snupps

Snupps Fourth Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh, as mentioned in the other thread, the plot was wank. Not sure how Rowling thought that this plot was any good.

It's impact on fanfiction will vary. For some, it will be a place to start more fics based on the Cursed Child plotline and characters. For some it won't change a thing, as personally, I don't plan of even thinking of the Cursed Child when writing.

All negatives (and there are a lot of them) aside, I heard that the play itself is good (acting and effects) in the other thread. So it's ultimate judgement awaits to be seen.

5. Lesath

Lesath Second Year

High Score:
    We are going to see angsty!Draco with unhappy childhood and so on. I'm going to ignore Cursed Child entirely. Characterization and plot sound really awful and I doubt fics will be any better, but it still could make suitable base for crack stories.

6. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Tbh, the only impact I want from this is it being buried and forgotten together with some of the more outrageous stuff from Pottermore. Alas, it's not to be. And I do wonder about DelphixHarry fics, because all that hate obviously means that they're perfect for each other, like Snarry, but heterossexual - props for banging the daughter of his archenemy.

I suppose part of the material can be rethought and made into something worth reading by talented ffn writers, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Perhaps I'd think differently had I seen the play - people are raining praises on the acting, scenario etc, but all I have access to is the plot, and we all know how it doesn't measure up to even the worst HP books.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  7. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

The books? That's very generous of you especially since the plot seems more inspired by some of the worst fanfic tropes than the canon.

8. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Well, it hails from the same author. It wasn't a nobody that wrote it, so we should apply the same standards...

On the other hand, things like Voldemort's kid - and oh god, her multicolored hair - Harry's IQ and character development receiving a Vanishing charm treatment, and Malfoy's 'redemption' (so this is how it feels being bossed around by Hermione Granger? I kind of like it), and stupid ass time travels and Harry getting his Chief Auror butt kicked by a little shit half his age...

Well, I guess you're right.

9. Jhyaal

Jhyaal Squib

High Score:
    It will probably lead to more shitty next gen fics sadly enough. In any case, I don't really see anything in it that makes me want fanfiction to expand either. I just want it to be buried and forgotten.

10. liquefry

liquefry First Year

To be fair, in this book Voldemort's child has been raised by rabid death eaters so it's not totally birth that has made her evil. It's also pretty blatantly hinted that Albus would go dark if Harry kept pushing him away, suggesting the opposite.

11. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

The best fic that could result from the existence of Delphi Riddle would be a Rodolphus LeStrange centered fic where he pulls an 'Operation Valkyrie' and tries to assassinate Voldemort for impregnating his wife.

12. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

The funny thing is that the characters are very consistent with the way the few next-gen fics I have read generally portrayed them. Hell, I even made the Greengrasses have a hereditary blood disease in a fic I planned a year and a half ago (thought not because "some ancestor was cursed"). It turns out the fans truly do understand Rowling's particular brand of cheesiness.

And that's the only thing that's funny about this mess of slaughtered childhoods.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  13. sea-kingdom

sea-kingdom Squib

High Score:
    Cursed Child in general is so rushed with so many needless and unexplained plot twists driving the story. Why does Albus even want to save Cedrid? If he does want to go back in time, why doesn't he go to save Teddy's parents (who he presumably spends a lot of time with and thinks of as family since he's Harry's godson?) or his uncle (George? His mother's brother? Surely he'd have heard stories about the twins)? Someone he would've heard about and maybe felt a familial connection towards, rather than a random school kid from his father's past.

14. Azatoth13

Azatoth13 Squib

High Score:
    This. This is the one thing that, for the life of me, I could not comprehend when reading the book. As for its impact on HP fanfiction, I doubt there will be much aside from an increased influx of fics focused on Scorpius and Albus as well as some focused on Delphi.

15. Snupps

Snupps Fourth Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Scorbus shipping here I come!

:p

16. yrtb

yrtb Squib

High Score:
    Agreed, the plot just seemed so contrived. Honestly after reading that I got back into fanfiction because I needed some new Harry Potter content that wasn't totally awful. Not only did the plot make little sense, but it wasn't particularly well written either.

17. Lesath

Lesath Second Year

High Score:
    There is more. Titles certainly lack a spark of originality.

What do you think about rewrites? Can this be any good?