1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Inevitable by Mhalachai - Anita Blake - PG13

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Mordecai, Nov 18, 2005.

1. emt10

emt10 First Year

Broken link?

Is something wrong with the web site? Since at least 1:00pm EDT, the site has not been working for me. Any thoughts?

2. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wasn't able to access it either, happens occassionally though.

3. emt10

emt10 First Year

4. Mordecai

High Score:
    The site is back up and working now.

5. Burn

Burn Second Year

The archive

The story can also be found in the DLP Archive that BAP made. That's how I was reading it.

6. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

For those that are interested, this story is no longer abandoned and was recently finished. It looks like the last few chapters were posted all at once on TTH.

Inevitable Chapter 76~>

It finished off much like all the rest of the story, with Harry telling everyone what to do and not doing much himself, leaning on Anita for her Necromancy and uber-wolf pack healing powers. I went back and read a few chapters to get back into the story and it didn't age well, but at the time I remember it being pretty darn good.

It was nice to see an end to it nonetheless.

7. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

For real D: Holly shit I'd almost forgotten this story. And I have really fond memories of it. Will comment on it after I read it.

Edit : I see what you meant by how it didn't age well, still it was kinda cool that there was a closure. Man reading this story again reminded me how L.K. Hamilton created a great world but fucked it up so badly.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  8. Mordecai

High Score:
    Huh, just saw this thread and reread the whole thing. I think the only reason I enjoyed it is that I have memories of enjoying it in the past. That said, it wasn't bad. It was nice that there was a conclusion to it, and whilst the ending was a bit rushed, it wasn't too much so.

9. Theory

Theory Disappeared

High Score:
    This is a great story with a few issues. I have actually read this story several times and it is one of my favorite HP/Anita Blake crossovers though the story does suffer from some overly melodramatic moments. Anitas character can be more then a little trying in the beginning with the whining and moping but that is quickly cast aside. I am also not a huge fan of Remus in this story but he only has a few scenes. I would give this a 4 out of 5, it is not perfect but it is very very good, well worth any fans time!

10. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

first, an alternate link: http://archiveofourown.org/works/1374466/chapters/2875192

good:
    as someone going into this not knowing much about the anita blake setting this wasn't a bad story character-wise. the characters seemed to mesh fairly well and the deviations to the hp canon were somewhat believable for what was presented. the author did a good job of downplaying the whole 'anita is a slut' that i saw most commonly when i did a quick background check/summary of the blake series and managed to blend the two worlds in a believable manner.

meh:
    the entire hole of what happened in harry's 6th year, bumping the entire plot into his year 7 was a bit odd and i don't know if there was an actual reason, but then again it didn't really affect much so i'm letting it slide. i think in terms of crossover things are skewed a little bit more towards the blake!verse over the potter!verse with a dose of "this setting is just misunderstood and you're all overreacting!" but then again most of the overreaction is coming from the ministry of magic so again i can mostly let it slide, though it still irks.

bad:
    as many people before have pointed out: props for avoiding the harry joins the reverse-harem plotline... however, when he turned around and got himself the start of a mini-harem of his own, eyebrows were certainly raised. conflict resolution was a big disappointment for me. the author did a decent job of building up certain threats, using pretty decent foreshadowing, suspense-building, and making them credible threats that the protags have creative solutions for dealing with, intentionally or not. that being said...

the actual events themselves sort of sucked.

the author manages to stretch the buildup for so many chapters and for most of them the fallout is dealt with equally comprehensively. however the moments where the conflicts peaked out were literally taken care of within half of a chapter they showed up. without attempting to spoil anything, the first villain had more of an on-screen presence in the story than the big bad. this is kind of disappointing because the author COULD do action scenes in small doses, sprinkled here and there throughout the narrative, but the moment we get to the climactic showdow... a brief flurry of spells, some exposition, and literally the bad is dead in less than half a chapter after he shows his face. and the big bad wasn't even the final problem, which leads to...

ugly:
    for as much attention as was given to the fallout of certain other events, the ending for this story was incredibly rushed. part of this is the uneven 'distribution' of the crossover, since most of the fallout for those larger parts fell on anita herself. the moment the ball was in harry's court: stuff stuff stuff, bit of yelling, okay we're done. it feels like the author completely lost interest in the story and while they managed to finish it (which i do gives props for), it almost feels completely unsatisfying.

tl;dr - 3.5/5, probably rounding down. good plot, decent characterisations and newbie friendly, horribly conclusion that very nearly ruins the whole thing