1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

It All Comes Tumbling by Darkest Desire - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Violent Seas, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Violent Seas

Violent Seas Sixth Year

Title: It All Comes Tumbling Down
    Author: Darkest Desire
    Rating: M
    Genre: Drama/Angst
    Pairing: None
    Summary: (Author's Summary) Harry Potter-the perfect little savior...the convenient scapegoat whenever the wizarding world has a problem, or needs somebody to blame. They’ve condemned him...to Azkaban. It’s a hard place to survive, even harder still to come out as the same, naïve person that went in.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1839860/1/

I just found this in my Favorites, thought i'd post it....
    it's because of this fic that i started reading what i read now.

Basically, it's a first-person POV of harry in azkaban, and when he escapes from the grasps of Dumbledore and co.

The only problem is that the author hasn't updated, and that this is the only non-slash story she's written.....

2. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

i get the feeling she is a linkin park fan. . .

3. Silent

Silent Kinky Wench

*blinks* Out of curiousity, why? Writing style? Summary? Something else?

4. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I haven't looked at the chapter's contents, but all the chapter titles are Linkin Park song titles.

5. Lady Ghiradelli

Lady Ghiradelli First Year DLP Supporter

Quite true.....I'll give it a looksie, and then come back to edit meh post...

6. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I too have noticed their unusual preoccupation with Linkin Park...

Now in the past I have been guilty of naming chapters in my stories after Nirvana songs (All Apologies, Something in the Way, and Come as You Are). But they were all in different stories, and they were the only chapters named after a song in the story.

7. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

I was guilty of that myself when I started out in Fanfiction. Linkin Park everything (titles, songfics...) Actually, I think that was the only reason people read the stories, because they were Linkin Park fans. lol. Oh, I do not miss DBZ fanfiction, nope, not at all.

Of course, I'm still guilty of it, but AFI is such a way cooler band! *snickers*

8. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

Re: It All Comes Tumbling Down by Darkest Desire - M

Not as good as it could have been, IMHO.

Then again I imagine its dificult to do much new with the Azkaban genre these days. The use of first person all through the fic was intresting, but within the second chapter or so it had become grating and annoying. Nothing at all like the first person stories of Gabriel Blessing, an anime fanfic writer who manages to pull off the first person voice much better and whom the writer should read for tips on how best to utilize this POV.

I mostly blame the poor choice of POV for this but the Harry Potter--err--'Corbett' as he decides to call himself..in chapter ten, (only to completely forget the fact in chapter twelve, the last chapter posted) is emo. The thought processes in the first few chapters read more like the petulant mental thoughts of a twelve year old girl being made to 'time out' in a corner than someone sentenced to prision for crimes they did not commit and being afffected by the Dememntors like 'Corbett' is said to be affected by them. Quite frankly the story adds nothing new to the genre and is a waste of time. That doesn't even begin to take into account the increasingly smaller chapters which begin to be taken over by author responses by the last two chapters.

Not a recommendation in my honest opinion.

--bornagainpenguin

PS: Die Ginny Die-- Thanks very much for providing links to the splits in this topic like you have! This is exactly the kind of thing I'd love to see made policy here so we can see where the discussion went to more easily!

9. KANE

KANE Groundskeeper

have to say, not the most exciting story. It started off alright, but got more and more unrealistic and unoriginal as it continued. I ended up stopping after chapter 3.

Too bad

10. Dragon Watcher

Dragon Watcher Third Year

I have this weird thing that when I start to read something past the second chapter I feel like I have to finish it unless it's complete crap so I had no problem reading it. Also I haven't read a single fic that had a Threstle as a pet that wasn't just a background thing or ignore after one line of mentioning it. Though in the beginning it is a major cliche.
    As you can see I have mixed feelings on the story. :(

11. Dragon Watcher

Dragon Watcher Third Year

Atleast it give you something to look at besides Default Chapter

12. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

At least she doesn't use the azkaban-induced superpowers cliche.

13. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

I thought it was rather strange that harry trusted some random woman with his true name just after meeting her.

14. Violent Seas

Violent Seas Sixth Year

ya that last chapter was rather strange......

15. Kyp's Avenger

Kyp's Avenger Fourth Year

This is an okay fic. The chapters are too short, and it hasn't been updated in ages, but it's interesting.

The author has written loads of other stories, this one is halfway down a page of 40. I doubt this one will be updated again, but I'll add it to my alerts just in case.

16. Dark Lord Shabranigdo

Dark Lord Shabranigdo Fourth Year

Has it been updated at all? It really annoys me when I'm an interesting story that suddenly stops.

17. Kyp's Avenger

Kyp's Avenger Fourth Year

I haven't seen it anywhere else, and it's at the bottom of a long list. I don't think it's ever going to be updated. Maybe if we nag the author...

18. jaspernoone

jaspernoone First Year

i feel that yes, she is a linkin park fan, but i must ask u all, who isn't?

19. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Nnnngggh... Online translators must DIE.

"Etes-vous bon?" (*pulls on hair*) No, no, no, nonononoNO! Is it so difficult to write "She asked him a question in lilting French" or something of the sort?

Though I have to admit it isn't half as bad as some "French" I've come across to in other fics; even if there are only three words here, so it was hard to make more than 1 mistake. I kind of snorted at Harry's choice of a name. 'Corbett'? Sorry, the French would find that weird. Or at least I would :).

Otherwise... the story's not bad, though the chapters are a bit short for my liking. I like it better when it's a first-person PoV; I actually can't see the point in shifting to third-person (hmm, my knowledge of grammatical English terms is extremely limited, I'm sorry). The bit that went like "only the Thestral can understand me now" made me roll my eyes a little; I thought it sounded a bit overdramatic.

But I liked it on the whole. The first four chapters are very good; Ron and Hermione's reactions were nicely done, too. Dumbledore (with a final "e". Please, put the final "e".) was perfect. Perfectly in character.

I saw a few contradictions... among which, Harry wanting his former life back, 12th chapter -- gimme a second. (*Browses through the fic so as to not embarrass herself with a wrong quote*)

Here it is:
    Huh... I was under the impression he had spent most of his time in Azkaban (I'm especially thinking about Chapter 2: By Myself) loathing everybody and swearing he wouldn't ever forgive them for all they've done to him since he was one-year-old. Doesn't that quote clashes a bit with this?

I think that's it. Third Azkaban fic I read, and the first one in which Harry doesn't acquire super-powers in Azkaban. Nice change, I must say.

And I must humbly admit I didn't even know Linkin Park even existed before stumbling across this thread :eek: .

20. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Very good HIA story, it doesn't have the "instant superpowers" that most fics have. Not that i don't like the well written ones, with good explanations as to why he has them, but it's a welcome change. Good story.