1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete It's All Relative on the Hellmouth by dellacouer - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Hadoren, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

The angst was a bit too much throughout the story whether it was Buffy angsting over Angel earlier, or the very annoying Harry and uncle relationship. That particular part just came off as very unrealistic. The villain could have been chosen better than McNair, if the author wanted somebody who loved torture, then why not choose Bellatrix? Harry already hates her for Sirius, imagine his ire if she had killed Ron.

Having said all that it was a pretty good story, one of the better crossover I have ever read. However, it had potential to be so much more.

I will give it a 3.5

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  2. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I read this way back when it was originally posted and thought it was pretty darn good... despite its problems.

Since everyone is creaming their jeans so hard over Dellacouer's new HP/X-Men crossover, Harry Potter and the World that Waits, that the cavalcade of errors don't seem to bother them, I thought I'd take another look at this story.

It's got the same problem the other story does; mountains of spelling and/or grammatical errors, and short, fragmented sentences with punctuation thrown in when the author feels like it.

With both fics, I really want to like them and just enjoy reading them, but the errors keep yanking me out of the story. The plots are fairly good (definitely above average for fanfic) but the technical aspects are lacking.

The author also has that irritating habit of having characters say 'ugh', instead of 'uh', so they sound like either they're grunting in pain, or they are Neanderthals instead of Homo Sapiens.

It's the difference between: "Well, uh, it's getting cold so, uh, I'd better go start a fire."

And: "Ugh, it cold, ugh, Grok go start fire."

Oh and the constant use of "Gez" instead of "Jeez" is grating. I mean, it's even spelled exactly like it sounds. Mistakenly using "Geez" I could understand, but "Gez"?

I'd recommend this story to any fans of Harry and Buffy but, man, you've got to overlook a lot of errors. If you're the type that notices that stuff really easily and it bothers you, reading this may be a little difficult.

Since I'm rereading it, I'm listing all of the errors as I go. If I'm feeling really ambitious, I may correct all of the chapters and send them to the author. *shrug*

What Dellacouer really needs, apparently, is a decent Beta.

3. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Bellatrix is overdone. Way overdone.

Not to mention that she's just insane. Not anything particularly special, and I doubt she'd have the sanity to pull off any semblance of a plan besides randomly attacking.

I would probably have stopped reading had it been Bella.

4. fash

fash Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I was surprised that I liked this story since I was never a fan of Buffy the vamp slayer. Angst got a tad to much in bits but overall an enjoyable read.

4/5

5. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I liked it. I'm not really a big Buffy fan, most of my knowledge is second hand, but it was definitely a cut above the usual, but from the way it ended it sounded like Harry was soon to be too busy to even make a trip back to Sunny Dale so I don't know how the sequel would work...

Straying from the topic a bit has everyone noticed how tempting it seems to buff Xander with power of some sort, yet almost every time it seems like it just ruins everything?

Overall 4/5 it was really good, but it just seemed to be lacking something, reeks of hit and miss opportunity.

6. Cathal

Cathal Sir Nils' Right Hand

A solid read. This fic made me stay up until 5:21 am which is an impressive feat.
    4.5/5

7. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Pfft, sleep is for the weak.

8. Cathal

Cathal Sir Nils' Right Hand

While my mind agrees with that statement, my body isn't as compliant. *Yawns and goes to sleep.*

9. Havoc

Havoc Seventh Year

I picture Sarah Michelle Gellar everytime I read this fic, and I'm no fan of her. It just doesn't sit well with me. However, if I ignore that feeling, the story is enjoyable to read. It's not horribly written, but there are some dialog that don't seem natural. For me I'll give it a 3.5/5

10. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

3.5 from me, though I think this is library material.

The plot isn't strong, there's little conflict (Harry says it himself, the baddies are no match for him). The romance seems a little unrealistic (Harry just doesn't come off as a guy who wants to have a girlfriend, he's too busy angsting).

The first few chapters are entertaining, and the Uncle conflict is good until it feels like I'm reading a Severitus.

But it's readable and a fairly entertaining, quick, read.

I hope The World that Waits won't contain these same problems in its future chapters. Harry is bordering on angst in that too, and looking at the parallels between these stories, it's likely...

11. SirDAMalot

SirDAMalot First Year

That was my first BtVS crossover, where I didn't go...huh every few minutes, since I've never seen the series. That is a point I really like about this autor.(His X-men crossover was really good too)

It's also the first one that's halfway decent, if you can ignore the spelling- and grammar mistakes, but although I normally like powerfull!Harry I really couldn't get into it here (the knowledge-absorption-thingie out of a book nearly made me spew).
    The pairing is good enough for me because I never liked the three standartpairings in ff, but that may be only me...
    All in all it's a nice crossover so I'll give it a 3.5/5 because the ending was much too sappy.

12. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Never much cared for crossover's, but this one is alright. Little heavy on the air head act for buffy, and I didn't particularly care for all the TV and movie references, but on the whole pretty good.

4/5

13. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

I quite surprisingly enjoyed this fic, I didn't expect much from a crossover with buffy but read it all the way through and walked away happy.

It seems much more like an episode of Buffy than an HP story, but it was cool.

Plus Sarah-Michelle-Geller is always good for me.

4/5

14. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've found several people that mention this as being one of the few excellent BtVS xovers, what are the others?

15. della_couer

della_couer Second Year

Here is a community of FF.net you can check out for a general idea of the genre.

http://www.fanfiction.net/community/The_best_BtVSHP_Crossovers/20478/

Also the site Twisting the Hellmouth is dedicated to Buffy crossovers and they have a good HP collection.

http://www.tthfanfic.com/Category-1-5/Harry+Potter.htm

I wanted to post another fic that I loved prior to writing Relative, it had a lot of promise but I recall that it died off and was never completed. Harry began off as this kick ass wizard who had defeated Voldemort and destroyed most European Vamps by rotating the earth to make it day. He was brought to the Hellmouth to help Buffy with some magical demon. It sort of turned into emo Harry who was starving himself because of grief and 'no one got him' and he got a phoenix to help him with his issues. (yeah just what he needs right)

Now I might ordinarily not mention this fic as such but it included by far the most humorous Harry/Buffy cross idea I've ever read. Rupert Giles and Severus Snap were forced to be room mates at some point and their fights were hilarious.

And can't for the life of me remember that fic's name... if anyone knows this fic I'd appreciate it.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  16. snowman

snowman Muggle

17. Agravaine

Agravaine Seventh Year

Found this on Taure's list of the forty-two best stories in the fandom, and I can't help but wonder what he was thinking. (It has magical cores and everything!)

This is how the action begins, and should tell you just about everything you need to know. Not only is Harry a god among men (he is the most powerful wizard! he knows the deepest of sorrows!), the disparity in power levels mean that his arrival renders Buffy and her crew entirely obsolete. Punch-kicking vampires to death just isn't a useful skill when Harry can blow up a whole room with just a few effortless syllables. The author seems to realize this and tries to shoehorn in some ridiculous prophetic contrivance to make the Sunnydale gang relevant, but it's too little, too late.

The angst is absurd, the humor isn't funny, the universes are poorly blended, and the dialogue is wooden. The characterization is vacuous, especially for the Buffyverse crew. Macnair almost makes for an interesting villain, but only by comparison to the rest of the cast. Buffy is reduced to a damsel in distress for a not insignificant amount of time. And the prose is somewhere between awful and a war crime. Instead of dissecting it at length, I'll just point to the author's abuse of exotic quote tags—in one brief exchange between Harry, Buffy, and Angel in Chapter 14, no one manages to say anything, but they do manage to ask, explain, comment, add, joke, tease, ask, respond, whisper aloud, caution, moan, lecture, tease again, instruct, and tease for a third time. In the follow-up scene, characters moan, call, whisper, demand, state, mutter, ask, ask again, announce, ponder aloud, urge, remark, state again, admit, growl, remark again, comment, state again, demand, affirm, inquire, state for a third time, remind, comment again, mutter, announce again, ask for a third time, argue, explain, reply, comment for a third time, command, grumble, and interrupt. In no way is this good writing.

If this is the crème de la crème, the entire fandom needs to be put out of its misery, taken out back, and shot.

18. KGB

KGB Headmaster

It's still the best HP/BtVS cross there is.

19. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

And that's so very, very sad.

20. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Meh, how many Fanfic's have actually stood the test of time? Very few.

Back when it was first written, it was good. Now, it's a pile of crap.

5 years down the track, shit that we think is good today will be looked at in the same light.