1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Jackal Among Snakes by Nemorosus

Discussion in 'Other Fandoms Review Board' started by caparot, Nov 5, 2022.

1. caparot

caparot First Year

High Score:
    Rating: M
    Genre: Fantasy
    Link

Summary: The royal bastard of House Vasquer, Argrave, changed after his stay studying magic at the Tower of the Gray Owl. The sickly man's awkward posture and cruel behavior have been replaced with a neat dignity and acerbic wit. Though once listless, he now strives towards his goals with a life-or-death tenacity. Most come away thinking he seems to know too many details about too much. Few can claim to know his motives or his goals.

Yet behind that confident appearance, the primary contributor for an open-world RPG's wiki battles existential dread and things far beyond his ken as he struggles to adapt to a grim, gothic fantasy world mirroring his favorite game. The prospect of fighting against a world-ending calamity loses all of its appeal when it transitions from entertainment to reality. Argrave is spurred towards unwanted heroism to preserve his life as he struggles desperately to keep this sinking ship afloat.

An isekai into a game world story that has good dialogue and good game story line. Characters are fun, Battles are good and of course the politics is always a nice touch. Probably the only story on royalroadl that I follow religiously.

P.S. Its my first fic post and english is my 2nd language.

2. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I've been keeping up with this for quite a while and it's decent. The opening has the protagonist be a bit too online for my tastes, but it settles down to a tolerable level quickly. The writing is decent, characters are distinct and memorable.

The first major arc is probably the best part of the story so far, and the second falls short compared to it but is still well within the bounds of readable.

As Litrpg go, this is one of the less offensive ones in the genre. There aren't incessant statblocks and such, but there is an (infrequent) status screen and formalized spell rankings.

All in all, worth your time if you like litrpg at all. Inoffensive, and sometimes funny.

3. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's not bad. Writing is solid. As Sauce said, the first arc is the best so far. The middle arc unfortunately felt like an extended multi pronged side quest, which is kind of what it is. A downside is that we're still waiting for awful characters we were introduced to over a hundred chapters ago to get their comeuppance. Obviously there are narrative reasons for this, but sometimes you just want to see these - at times cartoonishly - evil characters get what's coming to them.

If you've got an urge for a story where the MC knows the setting and works intelligently to improve themselves, it's pretty good. 3.5/5, rounding to 4.