1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Laptop attachments

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Erotic Adventures of S, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Has anyone tried a similar product to this screen expander?

Or does anyone have an option on if these are quality?

This honestly looks like a life saver while On the road.

https://www.thexebec.com/

2. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

I’ve never tried it, but it sure does look nifty. Use that bad boy on the train and you’ll be the envy of many a commuter.

3. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

And the enemy of the two people sitting around you.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Looks neat but annoying? If I’m going to take advantage of extra screen room (I prefer three monitors) I also need a mouse and mousepad, plus probably room to write on paper / use a calculator / whatever.

By that point I’m carrying around a lot of stuff.

Usually I prefer to travel with just the basic 12-13” laptop since I’m not going to so serious work on the go. No extras, etc.

But.
    That said.
    This looks amazing if it’s something you need. Fuck people sitting next to you.

5. yargle

yargle Professor

Man, this would kinda make labwork easier. Two extra screens would mean I wouldn't need paper copies of testing directives and methods, and just use electronic which I don't find feasible with one screen and our electronic notebook. Though I would never spend that much on a work thing.

6. cucio

cucio Groundskeeper

High Score:
    According to the specs, that's 20 Wh extra drain for your batteries. Those USB-C connectors will be running hot and battery life will drop to about 1/3 of the laptop's original. Probably more for a desktop-replacement laptop than for a travelling one.

7. Erotic Adventures of S

I work a lot spread sheets etc, so the ability to have one open on one screen and type in another would literally be dozens of hours of better productivity a month.

Even in a hotel room or a cafe corner, flip out the screens, light weight travel mouse and its a godsend.

But good points about battery! I imagine you would need to be plugged in almost nonstop.

8. cucio

cucio Groundskeeper

High Score:
    I'd consider adding an independently powered USB hub as well. With some exceptions, like rugged laptops, USB ports in laptops are not designed for sustained heavy load, since there isn't a high demand for it. Even if the installed ports comply nominally with the USB-C specification, manufacturers cut corners to reduce footprint and cost, and in time their current drivers may bust, leaving them unusable even for lighter devices. It happened to me with an audio interface that used a lot of current to provide phantom power to condenser mics.

Portability puts very tight requirements on equipment that are not so easy to circumvent.

9. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Any chance you ended up buying it? I'm gonna be working away from home for a while, and having at least a second screen would be quite nice.

10. Erotic Adventures of S

I put a ticket into our IT Department. The nerds there said it looks fine and will order a batch for the remote work team next cycle. They just warned about battery and screen position being more important than before.