1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Let's Play Videos

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Uncle Stojil, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

For those who don't know, Let's Plays (or LPs) are videos of people playing through a game, usually (but not always) an RPG. I've seen some mentions of them in other threads in this section and was wondering who DLP's favourites were.

But first thing first, what kind of LPers do you guys like? Do you like competent players? Funny ones? Players who bash or players who gush over the game they're playing? Do you follow LPs of games you've already played, games you're deciding whether to play or not, or games you have no intention of playing? Etc.

Links will be appreciated.

2. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

Considering starting a Let's Play? ;)

I'm a bit of a LP addict. I just love watching video games in general, whether it's a friend playing them or some random on the internet.

Before I start posting links, though, when you say LP do you include gameplay commentaries for things like FPS or MOBAs? I tend to watch more of that than anything else.

Aside from Minecraft. My God I have watched so many hours of Minecraft. Mods, hardcore mode, How To Survive Your First Night, Skyblock, Adventure Maps. Pretty much every kind of Minecraft LP, I've probably watched it.

As for what kind of LPers I like, I usually prefer competent players with lots of technical knowledge of the game's mechanics. Especially if it's a game I've played. I'm actually pretty forgiving about people making mistakes, it's just more enjoyable when I don't have to cringe at awful decisions.

Aside from competency, though, humor is nice. Not stupid crap ('That's what she said... he he he.') but goofy little jokes about the gameplay can be fun. Etho's Lab and Star both do this very well.

3. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  4. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Humor really does it for me, not the kind of forced humor or telling jokes but just kind of being funny in general. The only lets play I've watched more than one was IGN Darnoc's Skyrim videos, partly because I was too broke to be able to get the game so I had to enjoy it vicariously, but what kept me was the funny little comments he'd make. Also, his enjoyment of the game was something palpable, I could tell he was enjoying it immensely and so I was too.

That's for RPGS and the like. For MMOs/MOBAs/etc, well I only watch LOL streams such as TheOddOne who keeps me coming back for his knowledge of the game overall, mechanics and commentary which is also rife with humor.

5. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

The Syndicate Project does plays of Minecraft, Call of Duty Games, the latest Resident Evil game, the Sims 3and a few more. The guy's pretty funny and he tends to be very interactive with his community, plus there's a ton of videos to follow. http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSyndicateProject

There's Toegoff, who does LPs of RPG games like Dragon's Age, Baldur's Gate, etc.. He's a pretty cool LP'er, but he's done more than a few political videos so be wary of them. http://www.youtube.com/user/Toegoff

Warlord Erwin Rommel does Paradox Games like Victoria, Crusader Kings and the like and he does them rather well, IMO. A bit dull at times, though. http://www.youtube.com/user/WarlordErwinRommel

Jefmajor does Total War games among many others and I find him entertaining. http://www.youtube.com/user/jefmajor/videos?view=1

6. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

The only ones I've watched and enjoyed are the ones where the guy doesn't say a word.

7. redshell

redshell Order Member

I'm of the mind that having great knowledge of the game is a draw, as well as being genuinely funny, but what turns me off is making stupid mistakes, or taking far too long for the game (A relatively famous LPer, Maximus Black, took 40 videos that were 30 minutes each to beat Super Mario Sunshine), but what will really kill the LP for me is when the person has a shitty personality.

As Andro said, people who don't say a word or keep it minimal ("Hi, this is [insert name here] and we'll be playing [insert game here].") is usually the best formula.

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've been following Hardcore Skyrim for a while now, and while the narrator can be a bit annoying at times (and dense at others), he's always experimenting with mods and the likes so the gameplay adjusts around those all the time. Pretty cool.

9. Lb13

Lb13 Second Year

There are a lot of let's players I follow, but my favorite is DinoRidingJesus.

10. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I like both "Blind" LPs where it's the first time someone is playing, or reasonably expert (but not jerkish) playthroughs. I prefer games I've played, otherwise I get bored, and also games I actually like. Then it comes down to the specific style & humor of the player, which is highly subjective, so I don't know if you want to know about that aspect.

11. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Nope, just looking for entertainment.

Sure, those count too.

Well, yeah, if you can. Shitty humour is a dealbreaker and certain styles can put off some viewers and draw in others at the same time. Just describe them which ones you like and why, if possible.

12. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I'll second this, and the guy pumps out a shitload of videos. Two or three every day, all of them a decent length.

I'll also say TobyGames. I mostly follow him for his minecraft videos, but he does Skyrim and a few other games as well. He's pretty funny, and he's not bad at the games even though he likes to pretend he is.

13. Fishy Justice

Fishy Justice Fourth Year

EpicNameBro. I don't know why I like him but I do.

14. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Tobuscus can be goddamn irritating at times when he's playing though. He's much more entertaining on his other channel.

15. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I generally don't like these because the player always seems to have the need to narrate. If I'm going to watch a playthrough of a game, I'd rather just watch the game and listen to the music. Not interested in hearing some nerd provide unnecessary play by play commentary as though I can't see what's going on.

tl;dr What Andro said.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  16. Kraken

Kraken Sixth Year

Quill18 on youtube does a lot of strategy games like Civ IV/V and the various Paradox Games. He also does a bit of LoL and Starcraft 2.

17. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've generally enjoyed RoahmMythril's, the occasional NintendoCapriSun though he tends to ramble now and again, and any of qzecwx's Mega Man/hacked Mega Man uploads.

18. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not really Let's Play, but I like watching Nuzlocke challenges. I'd rather play the game instead of watch someone do it.

19. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I find Jesse of OMFGcata to be both a competent player and actually pretty funny and fun to watch because he enjoys playing what he is playing, he usually plays RPGs and MMOs. http://www.youtube.com/user/OMFGcata.
    Also there is the Radbrad, a cool guy, not funny but just cool, like your chilling with him as he plays...or something like thathttp://www.youtube.com/user/theRadBrad

Oh and I have to ask how exactly does one go about getting paid to make LPs there is this LPer goes by the name GhostRobbo who gets paid to make this videos and he isn't part of a group like Machinima so I don't get how he does that. Oh you can also check him out if you want to see new games that come out.

20. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I find Jesse of OMFGcata to be both a competent player and actually pretty funny and fun to watch because he enjoys playing what he is playing, he usually plays RPGs and MMOs. http://www.youtube.com/user/OMFGcata.
    Also there is the Radbrad, a cool guy, not funny but just cool, like your chilling with him as he plays...or something like thathttp://www.youtube.com/user/theRadBrad

Oh and I have to ask how exactly does one go about getting paid to make LPs there is this LPer goes by the name GhostRobbo who gets paid to make this videos and he isn't part of a group like Machinima so I don't get how he does that. Oh you can also check him out if you want to see new games that come out.