1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Little help please

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by lilandriss, Jan 28, 2012.

1. lilandriss

lilandriss Second Year

Hey all. I need a little help since I'm not sure where my copies of books 5 and 6 are and therefore cannot refer to them.

I've read far too many fanon takes on the disaster that was fifth year Occlumency and the fall out resulting from it. I'm actually getting a little frustrated trying to put into words what I want to ask. I guess it would be did the lessons fail solely because Snape did not actually want to teach Harry or because Harry did not actually want to learn? Or both?

Also, and again far too much fanon influence here, did Harry blame Snape for Sirius' death due to his failure to teach Harry anything? Or did Harry blame himself for being more interested in having the visions than blocking them if, indeed, that's what was going on? I'm working on a fic and I really don't want to fall into heavy cliche territory so I'm trying to work out realistic feelings here. I've noticed several members here have some fantastic analytical skills so I'm hoping you can help me out with this.

Lil

2. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

The lessons failed due to the rarity of Occlumency books.

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

The problem is that it's never said how Occlumency is taught the right way, assuming Snape taught it the wrong way. It's left open, so it's free to interpretation, and over the years, I've developed a hearty dislike for the Indy!cliché of Snape "mind-raping" Harry. For all we know, the way he taught it is the one and only way to learn it, and that's what I'm sticking with.

Which means that for all of Snape's abysmal performace as a teacher, a large share of the blame rests on Harry, because he simply didn't do as Snape said -- clearing his mind every night and practising outside of the lessons. And Snape, in turn, can be blamed for his antagonistic ways, for making it harder than necessary for both of them, and most importantly, for quitting teaching Harry, after he stuck his head into Snape's memories. He was the adult, after all.

So all in all, it was a doomed experience from the start, because Snape didn't really want to teach Harry, and Harry didn't really want to be learn, and especially not from Snape. Or as Dumbledore put it, 'But I forgot - another old man's mistake - that some wounds run too deep for the healing. I thought Professor Snape could overcome his feelings about your father - I was wrong.'

As for the second item, it depends on the when. In the office scene at the end of OotP, Harry blamed everyone and anyone -- Dumbledore for avoiding him the entire year, Snape for goading Sirius, Kreacher for lying to him, himself, shortly, for not learning Occlumency.

Of those, I think only the resentment against Kreacher stayed (not that he suddenly liked Snape, obviously, but I can't recall that he blamed him for Sirius' death in particular during HBP & DH); and even with Kreacher, he kinda forgave him during DH IIRC.

He never blamed himself in the way all those Post-OotP fics portrayed it. I think there was scene in DH where he admitted that he had made a mistake (about running to the Ministry) when Hermione felt like was good idea to rub Sirius' death into his face, but that was about it; it wasn't at all like those many post-OotP stories where he was borderline suicidal. Thankfully.

4. lilandriss

lilandriss Second Year

Thank you Sesc! That was immensely helpful! I appreciate it. Fanon can be a real bitch at times.

Lill

5. Lens of Sanity

Lens of Sanity Backtraced

It’s ambiguous…

You can argue that Snape was not so much teaching Harry, as he was forcing him to build an Occlumency barrier using pain and brute force.

You can also argue that Snape is a twat and taking petty revenge on someone who died a decade and a half ago, by attempting to break his mind.

The whole “no books” thing is currently popular because everyone who counts in bowing down to Santi’s awesomeness, and HE came up with original ideas recently. And well, managed to pull it off in an impressive style.

So it's up to you to decide for yourself, as it is for everyone.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  6. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Not at all.

"Due to the rarity of occlumency books, x must be true" is a hilarious shitty DLP-meme which was started by Kurufinwe, a Pole with a severe logic deficit. He posted "From the rarity of Occlumency books, we have to assume that pensieves are even more rare in santi story" a year ago, and has been mocked for it ever since.

It's a local meme, not an honest belief. The OP presented too good an opening for Ashaya to ignore.

Ash
  7. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

Ugh . . . I hate this idea. It usually earns a click on the big, red X when I see it.

8. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Indeed. I always pictured Occlumency as more as what was happening with Molly and the Corpsetaker at the end of Ghost Story.

9. Immet

Immet Seventh Year

The other important thing to remember is that Harry was expected to learn Occlumency in about 6 months. Can Occlumency even be learnt in that time? The probability is that it is unlikely unless you are a prodigy. It may take years for most practitioners to learn it.

Possibly Harry may have learnt better by a different method, maybe Snape's method was the fastest to learn a method of protecting your mind, maybe it would have worked if the lessons happened for slightly longer, maybe it would have worked if Harry hadn't been mentally attacked for years by the scar at this point.

The other thing is whether Occlumency can even be used while you're asleep. Would it actually do anything to stop the visions?

-------

The thing I always hate about Occlumency is when the author brings in mindscapes. Umm... what? You hide all your memories and emotions away and don't look at them or allow them out in case people see them, right? So that means you can't have random thoughts or memories appear or automatically make associations between ideas.

Instead of brainstorming and being able to imaginatively come up with new solutions the Mindscaping Occlumencer will be limited to comparing one thought against one other, over and over again until they spark off a new thought. They'd be extremely boring, wouldn't understand jokes or feelings, but be very good at retrieving memories. Whoop-de-fucking-do.

10. jibrilmudo

jibrilmudo First Year

I will just put out there that Draco learned from Bellatrix. I never viewed him as high on the willpower totempole although the kid is between a rock and a hard place growing up, nor Bellatrix as a particularly soft teacher, especially after Azkaban.

JKR:
    I don't really agree with that, as Draco was a pretty lousy death eater, but it seems to be the typical Gryfindoor explanation for Harry - act first and think later.

I think the official thoughts would be along the line that Occlumency is hiding something, so it's basically bad and therefore Slytherins would be good at it line of bullshit.

Other than serving the purposes of the story, I'm sure someone can finagle an explanation together about Harry's scar and it's proximity to him and all that stuff. I've also seen the route taken where occlumency must be taught by someone who is trusted due to them peering in your head and that Snape/Harry had the worst starting point possible. What doesn't jive there is that I don't think Draco would trust Bella all that much, not sure.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  11. Darthgrim

Darthgrim First Year

Maybe Occlumency is just one of those things that not everyone has an aptitude for?

12. Platypus

Platypus Groundskeeper

I hate this subject SO MUCH but I want to contribute more so I shall. With more speculative BS.

All I remember about Occlumency is that they said it blocked Voldemort's special mind rape. But then in Deathly Hallows Voldermort's special mind rape Legilimency through a mind link turned into something different for Harry. Instead of following a mind link, Voldemort was following a handy-dandy Horcrux path straight into Harry's skull.

So the evil mind link was never really a purely evil mind link, because a nasty dirty filthy part of Voldemort's soul was screwing around with Harry's head to begin with. And the only reason I'm thinking the fact that it was a soul piece at all was because Harry pushed Voldemort out of his mind with a healthy dose of emotional turmoil at the end of OotP. Which was probably exactly what no one wanted him to try to do (if we go along with the assumption that Snape, while a douche, probably did give some level of correct instruction in Occlumency), but it worked anyway.

SO WHY NOT have what Harry managed to do as a special snowflake and have what Snape was trying to teach him to do be two different things entirely for two different problems entirely and straight up Occlumency just be the wrong method to combat Harry's particular problem. YAY.

---

It is entirely too easy to justify this crap with or without using exhaustive canon information to support your supposition. Which is probably why there are five zillion threads on this subject all across the internet.

13. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Im fairly confident, though obviously could be mixing fanon with canon, that Dumbledore pretty much said this to Harry. He referenced Draco's ability with and speculated why he had the aptitude for it and Harry didn't. I think it was something a long the lines of Harry being too hot headed and wearing his heart on his sleave type drivel.

14. Tareth

Tareth Squib

I think that it was mainly Harry's fault that he didn't learn Occulmency in canon. While the way that Snape taught Occulmency was harsh, it also seems very efficient, if Harry had spent some time working on it.

Harry also never seemed like the best student in the world. Hell, he defeated Voldermort twice because of luck, not skill.

Snape was understandably harsh. He is here teaching a person that has, in his opinion, no good skills in magic, and the hate is mutual between them. I think he thought there was no way to get Harry to learn Occulmency, thus he is just wasting his time.

15. Countess Whitewing

Countess Whitewing First Year

Okay since everyone seems to have the relationship between Harry and Snape well covered. And that it is basically both are at fault, I feel the need to look at a different side of it.

Since the books are written from Harry's view of things, we don't know everything. Yes, Harry could have put more effort forth into learning what Snape was grudgingly teaching him. But, look at it this way, we don't bloody well know what Voldemort ordered the much hated and petty Potions Master to do. Severus has to listen and take orders from Dumbledore, the man who kept him out of Azkaban, and Voldemort, a half-blood like him that's pissed at the world because his upbringing sucked like Snape's and decided to do something about it. So, while Dumbledore ordered Snape to teach Harry, Voldemort could have ordered him to be brutal while teaching him and make it so he could access Harry's mind through said Horcrux.

The point is we don't know everything that was going on outside of Harry's perspective.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012